Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Pajero Sport > Pajero Sport QE 2015 - 2019

Pajero Sport QE 2015 - 2019 The Pajero Sport new to Oz

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Drive shaft lube

Can any one count more than 5 grease nipples on the the front and back shafts. My thinking is there would be 6 ......4 unis and 2 splines........ Has one of mine fallen out ??

And is there any more on steering gear or ball joints..... Service manual is non specific
Thanks in advance
Old 1 Week Ago

You raise a good point here.
My PS has done 20,000km. I took a look at the drive shafts and universal joints and I can see no evidence that they were greased at the 15,000km service. No reassuring grease around the nipples or excess grease squeezed out of the seals.
Checking back on the service docket, I can find no mention of driveshaft sliding spline or universal joint lubrication mentioned on the long checklist of items supposedly serviced.
I intend to raise this with the service department of the dealership at the next service. Meanwhile I will put a grease gun to them myself. Many people assume all components are 'greased for life' these days.

From a quick look, it appears that there is a grease nipple on the sliding spline of the front driveshaft, but no nipples on either universal joints that I could find.
The universal joints on the rear driveshaft have grease nipples, but no grease nipple on the rear sliding spline that I could see, but maybe I need to look closer.

Where are the grease nipples on your PS?

Cheers
John
Old 1 Week Ago

Hi john thanks for your rep!y..... Whell I defiantly only have 5 and no mechanic has looked at them let alone greased them.......I'm starting to take this personally.

Should have been done 30k and 60k. Front spline has one but not rear???? Can't feel a hole where it may have fallen out. I dont think I'm a nipple short of a shaft but if you confirm this too then how is it lubricated?

I had a 60series land cruiser that flogged out the front spline from lack of lube.
Not a believer in "sealed for life" replaced too many 62 series bearings to testify. I just love to see them oozing grease from the dust cover ....messy but reassuring
Not all drive shafts have a lube point here and all passenger cars don't also it may be problematic for tailshaft balancing so unlike the front it may not have one.
Can't see anything else to justify the handbook "Lubricate suspension arm, steering linkage and propeller shafts with grease" quote

Last edited by woffleon; 1 Week Ago at 05:24 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by woffleon View Post
I dont think I'm a nipple short of a shaft
You never know, these days ... (but that's the funniest line I've read all day)
Old 6 Days Ago

Hi Woffleon

The service Schedule for the 17MY PS lists lubrication (grease) - "suspension arm, steering linkage,and propeller shafts"

Can I just confirm.
Your PS has grease nipples on both front universal joints and the front sliding spline.
Grease nipples on both rear universal joints, but not on the rear sliding spline.

On quick inspection and just feeling around I could not find grease nipples on the front uni joints.
Nor could I find a grease nipple on the rear sliding spline.
I will check mine again as I intend getting under and pumping some grease.

My PS is a December 2017 manufacture. Sometimes component suppliers change over time so grease nipples may change with different component manufacturers.

John
Old 6 Days Ago

Hi Woffleon

Just spent some time under my PS.

You are right. There are only 5 grease nipples.
One on each universal joint and one on the front tailshaft sliding spline.
No grease nipple on the rear tailshft spline.
I was caught out by the front universals. The grease nipple is not in the spider but on the side of one of the U's.

No sign of any grease nipples on any of the steering gear or front suspension. 'Sealed for life' which means they are sealed until they wear out.

Anyway greased all, and will take up the issue at the dealership next service.

Cheers
John