• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjacer
    • Nov 2011
    • Brisbane

Out of interest - ASC issues.

I have had some ASC issues lately which are the only real problem I've had in 9 years with this model and unfortunately were initiated by the Royal automobile club here in Qld when I opted to have my battery replaced by them when it was due.

I have had a couple of Pajeros and the batteries seem to last between 2-3years so I tend to replace 'em before they die and I have never had a problem before really.
    This time the guy had some big transformer like box with him which he plugged in to the OBD port, I found this strange because the other guys simply pushed in a power supply to the cigarette lighter 12v socket and no dramas, anyway this time was different and has resulted in an apparently unfixable issue.

The first thing that happened was that the car lost power as in a battery disconnect and upon reconnect with new battery the ASC off lamp illuminated - normal according to the manual and solvable by driving a few kilometres allowing it to reset itself - however the guy decided to check this with a scan tool during which the test he ran "failed to test" the codes which were hydraulic brake booster, G sensor initialisation unexecuted and steering sensor initialisation unexecuted.
    He couldn't wipe the codes and left me with an ASC off lamp and the flashing ASC activation lamp both illuminated. His suggestion was to "google it" and he left.
    2 weeks later unable to resolve the issue I called them and they sent the same clueless guy out .
    This time I suggested we put the Paj on level ground after 2 unsuccessful scan attempts and hey presto the scan tests ran through and wiped the codes leaving no ASC warning lamps lit - we don't know why or how this worked but I was glad of it anyway.

The issue is that upon starting the engine and driving off now the ASC activates and brakes the Paj very heavily, I mean the brake pedal is rock hard, not cornering etc just slow speed in a straight line. This happens 2-3 times in that first 5 mins and then the driving is back to normal and it doesn't happen again until the ignition has been switched off and restarted and then the same thing repeats.

Seems to be almost like it's going through a check pattern, running the ASC system whenever the car is first driven?.

I can switch off the ASC manually no probs.

MMC dealer service mechanic said he "can't see any codes so what do I want from him?"

Is there anyone here in Brisbane who may be able to have some insight into what the hell is happening here, the Paj is seriously the best vehicle I've ever owned and drives literally like brand new after 9 years, seems like it has many, many more good years left in her too so I'd like to resolve this issue but don't know what to do after MMC's failure - any help or insight would be greatly appreciated as I feel I've been hung out to dry by both RACQ and MMC. Cheers
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

If the front wheels were not pointing straight ahead when the battery was disconnected then the calibration of the steering angle sensor could be out.
    Did the Dealer Service Department check this setting?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• jjacer
      • Nov 2011
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      If the front wheels were not pointing straight ahead when the battery was disconnected then the calibration of the steering angle sensor could be out.
      Did the Dealer Service Department check this setting?

OJ.
      Thanks for the input mate, ah well the dealer was pretty hopeless to be honest, didn't really say much at all even when pushed but that's an interesting point you make as I assume the ECU would think that the turned wheel position was front dead centre and therefore a straight wheel position would be a turned or skewed position by default - certainly worth pursuing! currently clutching at straws so any ideas are worth trying - thanks heaps! and I'll let you know what the results are as I intend setting the Paj up on level ground with wheels straight and disconnect the battery etc, here's hoping.

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by jjacer View Post
        Thanks for the input mate, ah well the dealer was pretty hopeless to be honest, didn't really say much at all even when pushed but that's an interesting point you make as I assume the ECU would think that the turned wheel position was front dead centre and therefore a straight wheel position would be a turned or skewed position by default - certainly worth pursuing! currently clutching at straws so any ideas are worth trying - thanks heaps! and I'll let you know what the results are as I intend setting the Paj up on level ground with wheels straight and disconnect the battery etc, here's hoping.
        If it was mine, that’s what I would be trying. Leave the battery disconnected for a while (I don’t know exactly how long you need to, but have noticed with mine is that usually a quick disconnect / reconnect does not usually trigger the ESC light - but longer ones do. Maybe leave it disconnected for an hour??)
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• geopaj
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Adelaide

How’d disconnecting the battery go?
          Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X