• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NJV6
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • New Zealand

Suspension squeak

I am tracing a very annoying suspension squeak and I am sure it is coming from the top of the drivers side strut. It did it 18 months ago and got progressively worse until it was not bearable and got easy enough to manipulate that I identified it as the upper strut mount. So I cut a piece of tyre tube rubber and mounted this between the body and the upper strut mount. (See photo).
    Problem went away.

Alas it must have been a coincidence as 12 months later, it’s back. It can’t be where the body mounts as the rubber I put in there is in good nick. So where is it coming from? All the mounts I undid to get the strut out tonight we’re all nice and tight. Anyone experienced this before? It only squeaks on minor bumps, more like imperfections in the road - proper bumps don’t set it off. Also far worse under braking.
    Attached Files
    1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
    1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
    2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...
  • DaveH
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • sydney

Looking forward to finding out the answer as my front end squeaks too. As I drive along the noise gets less almost like it is warming up. None the less I'm sure something is not right.
    2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

• NJV6
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2010
      • New Zealand

Its back, 3rd time. It goes away breifly when I loosen the top the nuts that hold the top the strut in, take the weight off it and then re tighten. Removing the strut entirely is more sucessful at getting the squeak to go away for a while.

Does anyone think the strut needs to be stripped for a look, its such a small amount of movement it takes to make this squeak but dam its annoying on the road. Here is a short video.

1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
      2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

I had a horrible squeek in both my struts, I recently solved. I had the struts disassembled and found incorrect parts were fitted and the top had had been worn away - new hats, collapsible tube and rubbers fitted under warranty. Whilst this isnt your issue, I watched you vid. That is vibration in the spring IMO. I would have it disassembled and remounted. Looks like weight was off the wheels??
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• sam.cath
          • Dec 2014
          • Sunshine Coast

Hope to hear your solution as I have a squeak over my drivers side front strut too.
          2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Fuel Manager secondary fuel filter

Comment

• sam.cath
            • Dec 2014
            • Sunshine Coast

To be honest, had I known how 'upgrading' the suspension & putting a lift in was going to mess around so much with wheel alignments (not able to get any negative camber on rear wheels due to being too high) & squeaking suspension, I wouldn't have done it.

Sadly a bit of buyer remorse for me on this.
            Apologies for the whinge, but it sounds like squeaking is a common problem with lifting Pajero's
            2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• NJV6
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2010
              • New Zealand

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
              I had a horrible squeek in both my struts, I recently solved. I had the struts disassembled and found incorrect parts were fitted and the top had had been worn away - new hats, collapsible tube and rubbers fitted under warranty. Whilst this isnt your issue, I watched you vid. That is vibration in the spring IMO. I would have it disassembled and remounted. Looks like weight was off the wheels??
              Thanks for your comments, The weight was effectively on the wheel in that video, I had the jack stand sitting on the bottom of the hub. I will get the assembly disassembled and see if it makes a difference.

Comment

• NJV6
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2010
                • New Zealand

Originally posted by sam.cath View Post
                To be honest, had I known how 'upgrading' the suspension & putting a lift in was going to mess around so much with wheel alignments (not able to get any negative camber on rear wheels due to being too high) & squeaking suspension, I wouldn't have done it.

Apologies for the whinge, but it sounds like squeaking is a common problem with lifting Pajero's
                Fair enough for the whinge - I had one in another thread about how disappointed I am in the BFG Ko's! If I could get rid if this squeak and be able to run a quiet tough A/T tyre then the Paj is a great vehicle.

Comment

• mudlova
                  • May 2015
                  • australia

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
                  I am tracing a very annoying suspension squeak and I am sure it is coming from the top of the drivers side strut. It did it 18 months ago and got progressively worse until it was not bearable and got easy enough to manipulate that I identified it as the upper strut mount. So I cut a piece of tyre tube rubber and mounted this between the body and the upper strut mount. (See photo).
                  Problem went away.

Alas it must have been a coincidence as 12 months later, it’s back. It can’t be where the body mounts as the rubber I put in there is in good nick. So where is it coming from? All the mounts I undid to get the strut out tonight we’re all nice and tight. Anyone experienced this before? It only squeaks on minor bumps, more like imperfections in the road - proper bumps don’t set it off. Also far worse under braking.
                  I have the exact same issue and it is frustrating, I will be following your post closely as I have also tried everything including silicone spray on all rubbers I could find. When I sleep after long drives all I hear is squeak squeak lol.
                  No longer own a Pajero

Comment

• FamilyMan
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by sam.cath View Post

Also sadly, if you don't do it, you can run out of suspension travel and that breaks other stuff.

And, even if you don't do it, the alignment bolts can seize and you can never fix the alignment anyway.

Sadly, it's just a bit of an all round fail in the back end.

Comment

• sam.cath
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Sunshine Coast

Very true all round familyman.
                      No car is perfect I guess.

Have you found a solution yet NJV6?

There's a few of us interested to hear?
                      2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• NJV6
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2010
                        • New Zealand

Update - I pulled the strut out and took it to town to be pulled down and checked out. They couldn’t find anything of note but did grind a little off the top of the spring where it touches the top hat, it’s shown on the first post on this thread. There is now a rubber top between the spring and the top hat.

I’m not convinced but for now it is not squeaking. I struggle to see how the piece in question would squeak with load on it but who knows

Comment

• Peter C
                          • Oct 2011
                          • Perth

Had the same issue in my old NM..you need to replace the rubbers berwwen spring and strut. Also the very top bearing Rubber .Did these and never had that anniying squeak again.And stick with rubber seems to squeak less than urathane for some reason.

Comment

• Patrick101
                            • Apr 2022
                            • QLD

Hey - any updates on this, or has anyone experienced and solved the same issue?

My mechanic basically said he wasn't sure what is was, but don't think he spent too long trying to figure it out.

Comment

• signo1985
                              • Sep 2017
                              • Perth

I'm joining the club....squeak started after lift dobinson+kings went in, sounds front driver side but it is not very loud and with the window down the engine noise covers it.
                              At some stage I thougththe rear door (few discussions about it) but it's still there.
                              Not really sure where it comes from, the mechanic who installed it is a very repubatle pajero expert in Perth and he went all over it again after 4 weeks and found nothing.
                              Drives me nuts though

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X