Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > General Info

General Info Pros and cons of different makes and models (incl. international)

Old 24-02-18
Valued Member

Well, I have now taken my laptop out of its bag and tried to fire that up. It too runs Win10, but I am fairly sure it is a 32 bit version - it is an Intel Core I5 version. Whatever, it does exactly the same as the 64 bit desktop. Something funny is going on here. I have wasted too much time tonight on it so I will retire and see what the new day brings (apart from rain - hopefully). Thanks for your assistance thusfar.
Old 24-02-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
Well, I have now taken my laptop out of its bag and tried to fire that up. It too runs Win10, but I am fairly sure it is a 32 bit version - it is an Intel Core I5 version. Whatever, it does exactly the same as the 64 bit desktop. Something funny is going on here. I have wasted too much time tonight on it so I will retire and see what the new day brings (apart from rain - hopefully). Thanks for your assistance thusfar.
You can run Windows XP in Virtual Box on Windows 10.

The Windies XP VM can be downloaded free of charge from Microsoft. Search for Virtual PC on Virtual Box...

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1218...-on-windows-7/

The same method works (in my opinion a little better) using VMware Player or Hyper-V ...

I've found that Windows XP always activates using the inbuilt code however your mileage may vary

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 24-02-18

DrewXT beat me to it by 3 minutes. I was about to say, virtual machines are your friend if you want to run XP without having to segment hard disks. I use VirtualBox by Oracle.
Old 25-02-18
Valued Member

Thanks DrewXT and Middy. I will try these options when I wake up properly.
Old 25-02-18
Valued Member

I think the problem is in the CD I have - it is asking for Internet Explorer 5.5 and I don't have any IE on either computer - when I try to load IE it tells me that Microsoft Edge is the best etc and i cannot seem to get a copy.
Old 25-02-18
Valued Member

Default There is another way

Quote:
Thanks for all your 'help'. Sorry - I couldn't help myself with that one... Your assistance is appreciated but sadly it is of no help to me at present.

I bought a new computer with Win10 already loaded. I still have the original XP discs etc, but without segmenting the hard disc, I don't see much hope of loading XP onto this system. Even then, XP would probably sh1t itself with a 64 bit operating system. The reason I went to a new computer was that the old computer could not take even IE version 7. I have a gut feeling that Microsoft were dumping bits onto my old computer to deliberately slow it down and make me go out and buy something new.

So now I am looking for a CD version of the workshop manual which will run on Win10 64 bit mode (because my machine doesn't have a 32 bit mode). From what I can see, they don't exist at present.

Even worse, I have programs which I developed for DOS systems (yes, I have been around for quite a while), and I cannot run those programs. I have even lost the original FORTRAN source files so I cannot get back to those to try and load them onto my new computer. One solution is to strip the old computer and keep it is a dusty place until I need the old programs (I still do some work occasionally), and that may help me with the Pajero workshop manuals as wel

l
Hi Erad.
There is another way around you problem.

You can install a Virtual machine on your windows 10 64bit machine and install any operating system you like on it.

The one I have used is Orical VM. Orical are the makers of JAVA, so a pretty well known company, but there are other VM software available. Windows 10 Pro comes with Virtual Machine Software.

You simply install your VM software, allocate resources eg Ram, CD, HHD or Virtual HHD you your Virtual machine, & then install XP 32bit onto that machine.

When you want to open XP, you start win 10 64 and click on you VM and start XP.

When you finish with XP, you simply close it as you always have and you revert back to Win 10.

You can also work in either or both systems at the same time with the click of your mouse.

Hope this helps

Steve
2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
Old 25-02-18
Valued Member

Sorry,
This is what happens when you jump to the solution without reading all the other posts..

Steve
2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
Old 25-02-18
Valued Member

Ticky:
Thanks for that. It sounds very complicated, and I think I will have to get my 11 yr old grandson to set it up for me, bu tit looks like the way to go. It certainly is way beyond my capabilities (no that that takes much these days).
Old 25-02-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Ticky:
Thanks for that. It sounds very complicated, and I think I will have to get my 11 yr old grandson to set it up for me, bu tit looks like the way to go. It certainly is way beyond my capabilities (no that that takes much these days).
It's probably not beyond you at all.

Look it up on the internet, print out the instructions and have a go. If that doesnt work, then call you grandson. I'll bet you grandson has never made a Virtual machine before either. Imagine how impressed he will be with you

Steve

Old 25-02-18
Valued Member

Two things -

1 my grandson is a bit thick, and I am even thicker...

2 Even thicker, I checked the CD manual for my wife's Outlander, and it works perfectly. So I reckon it must be that the CD is asking for Internet Explorer 5.5, which of course my machines do not have. I'll try again to get it.