Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Body and Soul

Body and Soul Discussion about the chassis and body, paintwork, cabin fittings, air conditioning, etc.

Old 26-11-13

Default Leather Seats

On my exceed the leather seats on the drivers side have gone a little hard and stiff, passenger side also but not as much, ive been using the armoral leather stuff on them but it hasnt made them soften at all and i know that sooner or later it will crack, then peel away and the seats are done........

Any ideas what i could use???
Old 26-11-13
Valued Member

Its pretty tricky cleaning This Leather, I wouldn't use armoral as it tends to Dry Out the Leather and cause Cracks. I used Leather Cleaner/Conditioner Foam/Spray on. Do a small area at a time using the brush provided then wipe off Immediately, repeat a few times to get clean before moving to new area. Lots of Elbow Grease and Time needed but it Looks Great.
Old 27-11-13

the amoral one i was using was called leather conditioner, but it just doesnt do anything other than make the leather look newer, it doesnt actually soften it up
the leather is really clean from what i can see, its just i guess the last owner parked it in the sun and the flat section of the front seats seems to be hardened from the sun
Old 27-11-13
Valued Member

there are heaps of leather conditioning products on todays market from cheap to expensive, its a matter of spending that little extra to get the better gear. also there are leather products designed for leather jackets / shoes etc that seem to work quite well. pop into an auto store and check out the variety of . i use a Maguires product with comes in form of a cream that you squirt out of its container and onto a soft rag , it keeps my NM leather seats soft and near new looking.
NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.
Old 27-11-13
Administrator

Yep agree with Dolphin grab yourself the Maguires as he, I've been using it from new & the seats are in perfect condition

How to get Forum Decals
Old 28-11-13

thanks guys, ill head down to grab some later on
Old 28-11-13

Another great product is Auto Glum leather care balm.
Old 01-12-13

leather conditioning products might work on a leather equipped 50's chev, but modern cars usually have plastic coated leather to make it easier to look after for the general public.

Just requires a wipe over with warm soapy water. Any chemicals, or buffing with polishing cloths is just going to wear away that top plastic coating, where the leather is then exposed and starts to react to the elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04exceed View Post
the amoral one i was using was called leather conditioner, but it just doesnt do anything other than make the leather look newer, it doesnt actually soften it up
the leather is really clean from what i can see, its just i guess the last owner parked it in the sun and the flat section of the front seats seems to be hardened from the sun
correct on both points, leather conditioners wont do anything to help it because theres a top layer of plastic protecting it. Notice when you tip some water on the seat it just sits on top, rather than soak in?

Leather in cars which spend most there time in the shade or outdoors with windows down seem to last a long time regardless of cleaning rituals. The ones parked out in the sun windows up the leather falls apart no matter what you do.

Last edited by Mitsu Miyagi; 01-12-13 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-12-13
Administrator

Hmmm! Fair enough.. In my NM the leather is like new. I rub the conditioner in by hand you can see & feel it working into the leather I then wipe excess off.. I'd be really surprised if mine had a plastic coating! Later models I can't say Bottom line is it works good enough for me the Paj is 11 years old & the seats are perfect.

Untitled by gus_paj, on Flickr

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals
Old 02-12-13
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Yep agree with Dolphin grab yourself the Maguires as he, I've been using it from new & the seats are in perfect condition
Proof is in the Pudding, those seats are Beautiful ! I'll be using Maguires from now on.