Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 01-09-19

Default Tyres on 2020 GLX

I'm considering trading my 2015 NX on a 2020 GLX, the dealer doesn't have one in stock and wasn't sure what tyres it would come with - does any one know what they are fitting.

If they are the GrandTreks that came on my current NX, I'll probably factor in an immediate tyre change.

thanks
Old 02-09-19

I believe the granteks have had a minor upgrade. Nut sure of exact name but i wouldnt be surprised if its that new one
2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories
Old 02-09-19
Valued Member

My (limited) experience with new cars is that thy come with a variety of tyre brands and you don't know what yours will be until it arrives.

Yesterday I rotated the tyres on my wife's Outlander. They are Dunlop Grantrek and have done 90000 km,and they will go to 100000 or more before they need replacing but I am sick of them - they are noisy. Hopefully the next tyres I buy will not be as bad.
Old 02-09-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill373737 View Post
I'm considering trading my 2015 NX on a 2020 GLX, the dealer doesn't have one in stock and wasn't sure what tyres it would come with - does any one know what they are fitting.

If they are the GrandTreks that came on my current NX, I'll probably factor in an immediate tyre change.

thanks
A few years ago, before they discontinued the 17" wheels (except on the fleet only GL and GLX5), that the 2020 NX GLX has now re-introduced, the tyres were usually from 3 brands:

Dunlop Grandtrek AT (not really an AT, more a slightly tougher HT with hard rubber that doesn't grip the tar as well but lasts longer)

Bridgestone D840 HT (grips better but wears a bit faster - quietest of the 3)

Yokohama HT G??? (grips well but softest of the 3 & wears quickest)

It was a lottery as to which tyres were on each car, so no way of knowing until the car lands at the dealers. My comments only apply to those specific models of tyres - other models from those makers perform quite differently (usually better in proper AT, etc.)

I have had all 3 and fine for tar & gravel roads (although the Grandtrek AT20 is a bit skatey with the round shoulders). If you intend going into rougher areas, try to arrange the tyre swap before the OEM tyres are roaded, as this often gets a better trade in price.

Your big advantage is the 17" wheels give you much greater choice of tyres that will be better off road and cheaper. Downside is potentially the DPF & gearing, although no issues reported so far with the NX (& we will all probably end up with one eventually). My next purchase may be a MY19 or MY20 NX GLS but with the dealer swapping the 17" wheels onto it now they are available again (most dealers were happy to do this at no cost as the donor GLX was then "optioned up" to 18" when they sold it. Have you considered a MY19 GLX with wheel swap to 17", as it looks to be better equiped & much cheaper on Carsales?

Last edited by spot01; 02-09-19 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-09-19

Thanks for the replies.

My current NX came with Grandtreks, my biggest issue with them was performance on wet roads once they had a few kms on them. The Pirellis were a big improvement.

I've seen the Yokohamas - I think they are a Geolander. My last experience with then was on the NJ I had in mid 90's so would be well out of date.

The dealer has a couple of older stock vehicles they are keen to do a deal on so I may end up with 18s again on a GLS.

Unlike another manufacturer, there doesn't appear to be any issues with DPF on the Paj so I don't mind the upgrade - it might lose a little in fuel economy to my current NX but to be honest, my right foot probably has more impact than the DPF.