• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

Fraser Island Feb 2018

Just back from a blokes trip to Fraser. Crikey what an awesome place!

Let's start with the highlight of the trip. Pictures of why trying to cross Eli Creek anywhere near high tide is not a good idea! The 80 series got stuck about 45mins prior to high.
    And no, it wasn't us! But we did help get it out.
    And yes, strap over towball on the troopy I know. Also the 80 series had no recovery point, it had a towbar but no tongue not even a pin; all it had was chunky (but rusting) safety chain holes. You'd think a commercial 4wd tour group would have proper recovery points ready to go on all their vehicles but evidently not. Did the best with what there was to work with, and I tried to get people away from the vehicles for the pull (some don't want to listen though) - both cars would have been totally lost I think if we went back to our vehicles to get more appropriate gear.
    It was a tow rather than snatch strap thankfully otherwise I would have been further away for the initial pull-out.

More pics of the trip to come later.

But I want to go back!!

Plus the view at Eli and Lake Mckenzie, it's very good!
    Last edited by Alex86; 21-02-18, 03:39 PM.
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
  • Pajshomoneroguntero
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Sydney

I wondered what Russel Coit was up to.
    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Yet another unstoppable Toyota that wasn't quite so unstoppable.

Is this just one more example of people not knowing what they don't know? They've been to Fraser once or twice, avoided any major dramas, and decide that they're experts who can charge others to show them how it's done.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pwoffey
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Adelaide

Great (and disturbing) pics. Excellent that the name of the company is clearly visible. From their web site:

"Prior to your amazing Fraser Island tour you must attend our compulsory pre-tour safety briefing held at KB’s Noosa Bar at 6:00pm the day before the tour’s departure."

The content of that briefing would be interesting. Maybe it shouldn't be held in a bar
        BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Alex86
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Here and there

The guide took the other vehicles in the convoy through afterwards rather than letting the backpackers drive. Smart move- probably should be the norm though in conditions like that. Inexperienced driver got stuck, that's fairly obvious. I get the impression though that all these sorts of companies aren't to concerned about events like this, especially when the cars are fairly old and tired.

However, another group pulled over and walked the rest of the way rather than crossing when they saw the 80 with the bonnet up and drying out.

Over the next hour or so about half a dozen cars crossed. Fairly brave I reckon; mostly for the salt content of the water at high tide! Waves run up Eli a long way and just because the main wave has receded doesn't mean that when you cross that that bit is back to fresh water!
          Personally the crossing doesn't look that challenging from a technical perspective- The biggest thing is timing the wave. But would I go through it anywhere near high tide? No way in hell in my car; unless life depended on getting to the other side.
          '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Comment

• Alex86
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Here and there

More pics.

Beach at Waddy Point

Camping area at Waddy beachfront zone. A 6x3 and 2 3x3 gazebos gave us great cover of 6x6. More tents and swags out of picture to the left. About 7 cars and 14 people..

Looking from Middle Rocks (where Champagne Pools are) south towards Indian Head.

Champagne Pools. Probably better towards a lower tide than a high tide.

Lunch, and beach cricket, break on the beach just prior to the track around Middle Rocks.

Indian Head.

Some of the Maheno wreck.

Red Canyon area, I think.

Next two pics are racing the incoming tide. Not a lot of beach left...and in the 2nd pic you couldn't even escape onto a dune. Both approx 2hrs prior to high tide; hence why they suggest not driving the beach within 2hrs of high.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X