• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hill
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Adelaide

Donaldson P551615 Bracket using existing Fuel Filter mounting bolts

Many will be aware that I have a Donaldson P551615 filter kit on my NT Pajero. Until this afternoon this was mounted from the fire wall using two existing bolts.

I have suggested using the bolts of the factory filter to others and thought I'd better follow my own recommendation.

I found a piece of 25mm x 4mm flat steel that was lying under the bench and thought at 270mm long and with a predrilled hole on one end this would be ideal.

I drilled another 10mm hole 76mm from the existing hole and this completed the mounting holes for the factory filter end of business.

To create a bit of clearance for the bolt heads for the second filter I put a 20mm kink in the flat steel. Big hammer and vice is handy.

To complete the job I drilled another two 10mm holes 55mm apart (I think) at the other end.

A small section of noise deadening material was cut away to allow the bracket to sit flat.

Two 8mm bolts completed the job.

See attached thumbnails for the rest of the story.
    Last edited by Hill; 25-03-19, 01:49 PM.
    200 Series
    AOR Quantum 4
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

Looks Great Mate
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• sam.cath
      • Dec 2014
      • Sunshine Coast

Looks great Hill!
      Really tidy job. It's great to make a bit of custom stuff that works so well.

Wish I could put one in the same location but as you can see, there's no room now! I had a custom bit of aluminium made up to attach the Redarc SBI12 to.

Would have had a crack at doing the second fuel filter if I could do it where your's is, but will put it in the too hard basket for now.

Thanks for your input to help me better understand the fuel filter situation!

Cheers,
      Sam
      Attached Files
      2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Fuel Manager secondary fuel filter

Comment

• GHendo
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Northern NSW

Great minds must think alike Hill

I've made up a bracket for mine almost the same sort of thing as yours, except that I welded an extra bit on the bottom to also bolt onto those two bolts below your bracket in the first photo.

I haven't fitted the Donaldson yet as I am waiting until the next time I have to change the diesel filter and will do it then - must be getting very close.

Cheers

Geoff
        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• vladguan
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Adelaide

Nice work. I have a length of 25x3mm aluminium flat bar. Would that be OK to use? Hill, does Hitachi sell just the @*$#Donaldson P551615 3 micron 99% efficiency Filter@*$#or the Donaldson P903316 114LPH, 3 Micron kit?
          Please call me Vlad.
          -----------------------
          MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• Rovingman
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2014
            • Blue mountains

great work hill, thanks alot.
            Pajero NT RX 2011
            Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
            LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• ticky
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2015
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
              Great minds must think alike Hill

I've made up a bracket for mine almost the same sort of thing as yours, except that I welded an extra bit on the bottom to also bolt onto those two bolts below your bracket in the first photo.
              I think this is a good idea. I think Hill's bracket looks good & it would prolly do me fine as I am a caravanner who like to play a bit, rather than a 4WDer who get serious. But I can for see possible problems with this if serious 4WDing is your thing. A third anchor point underneath would strengthen hills design considerably.

As for Vlad wanting to use 25x3 Ally, & would consider that third anchor a must, but then I think 25 x3 Ally would be fine.

JMO

Steve
              2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• GHendo
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2012
                • Northern NSW

Originally posted by ticky View Post
                I think this is a good idea. I think Hill's bracket looks good & it would prolly do me fine as I am a caravanner who like to play a bit, rather than a 4WDer who get serious. But I can for see possible problems with this if serious 4WDing is your thing. A third anchor point underneath would strengthen hills design considerably.

As for Vlad wanting to use 25x3 Ally, & would consider that third anchor a must, but then I think 25 x3 Ally would be fine.

JMO

Steve
                Yes, something people probably forget is while the filter is quite light when you install it, the weight increases dramatically when it is full of fuel and over time, being knocked around with vibrations etc., the mount needs to be quite solid - look at how solid the OEM filter mount is.

Cheers

Geoff
                03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• XTV
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Adelaide Hills

Those two bolts below the bar look very well placed for providing an additional 3rd or even 4th mounting point. Does anyone know what their purpose is, if there is any unused length in the bolts and can you undo both at the same time and reinsert without causing any dramas?

Comment

• msman
                    • Mar 2012
                    • melbourne

someone else may know what they are for
                    when i undid them it just looked like an unused mounting point for something?
                    bolts put in during assembly to seal up the holes?
                    undo bolts and it just has the thread in the holes nothing mounted behind there, also the specific cutout in the insulation also says flat space for mounting something?

I just used some longer bolts they are m6.

Comment

• Hill
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
                      Nice work. I have a length of 25x3mm aluminium flat bar. Would that be OK to use? Hill, does Hitachi sell just the @*$#Donaldson P551615 3 micron 99% efficiency Filter@*$#or the Donaldson P903316 114LPH, 3 Micron kit?

Hi Vlad

I used steel as I am hoping to remove filer insitu. An aluminium bracket may not have the strength for this process.

I like Geoff's idea of stabilising the bracket using the two bolts on the
                      firewall
                      200 Series
                      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Rovingman
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2014
                        • Blue mountains

A little project i started today, a bracket for the Donaldson fuel filter thanks to Hills design:

Remove fuel filter bolts and measured 80mm from inside left bolt to start of right bolt

Then a got a piece of Aluminium 30mmx3mm and about 300mm long
                        came in 20mm then drilled 2x 8mm holes with the required distance between them. (obviously a calculation error somewhere)Then made a slight bend 20mm to suit fire wall curves

Cut, drilled and placed a little marine carpet for baffling, probably overkill, better to be sure then remove all of it again.

Removed baffling one small push clip removed only and all came away easy. Then Drilled a 9.5mm hole through firewall, and inserted a nut cert screw hole.

Bolted on bracket and tested a 50mm bolt

With advice from other forumites about strengthening the original design idea from Hill. I Placed a washer then 4 small nuts on and 1 more washer for 2nd filter support, this is very firm no movement what so ever, tested with engine on no vibration, also allowing room for filter bolts.

Put back the baffling and screwed in bolt, fits well and might cut down the end of the bracket, when the filter arrives i will take off bracket drill holes and will put another small piece of aluminium between the new filter and the bolts and paint black. I cant see any issues with this design it looks and feels very strong. With the bracket having 3 bolts already and if needed i can make a stay to the bolts underneath quite easily.
                        I will be using this as a primary filter to start with see how that goes as i have warranty till next march

Pajero NT RX 2011
                        Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
                        LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• Hill
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2007
                          • Adelaide

Beautiful.

The slotted screw hole looks like a factory made to provide a little additional flexibility in design.

The filter head is flat aluminium and you may need to drill a 10mm recess in the back to accommodate the bolt head.

You may need to remove filter head to change filter as the rubber seal tends to stick after being in place for a period of time.
                          200 Series
                          AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• erad
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Cooma NSW

Slightly off-topic, but I have a Donaldson filter head mounted on a bracket bolted to the two factory bolt holes. I use the Donaldson as a pre-filter, meaning that the Factory filter is the secondary. However, to get the fuel from the Donaldson to the factory filter, the fuel line has to arch up in the air somewhat, meaning that the hose tends to rub on the underside of the bonnet. Has anyone moved the angled inlet pipe from the factory filter to a flatter angle? I wasn't brave enough to try that (yet).

Comment

• vladguan
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2015
                              • Adelaide

I plan to use the bolt that the plastic clip nut is screwed onto to secure the baffle. Anyone see any issues with this? I will be using a 35mmx3mm aluminium with the two holes for the OEM towards the bottom edge and the new one towards the top edge, keeping the bar level. I will have to bend it back to follow the buldge in the baffle.
                              Please call me Vlad.
                              -----------------------
                              MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X