• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daniels_Paj
    Banned
    • Oct 2015
    • Perth, Australia

Daniel's 1984 Pajero Shorty Camping Build

Hey all, I'm new to this site and just thought I'd start a thread to show how my 84 paj has evolved over the years!

When I first bought it, I just wanted a cheap, manual, turbo diesel fourby as a second car for weekend camping trips, so when I stumbled across this old girl ticking all the boxes for $2k I couldn't say no.

Admittedly, she was in pretty rough shape... there was a tear in the passenger door which had rusted badly, the carpets were torn and smelly, the passenger seat was ceased in an awkward position and the seat belt didn't extend properly keeping the passenger pinned to the seat like they were wearing a 4 point harness. It also had a bunch of general cosmetic flaws like faded paint, pealing tint and pretty much every interior globe blown. Mechanically though, she was pretty good aside from a rear main seal leak.

A LOT of days and dollars have past since then though, which have slowly transformed my $2k bush basher into a reliable, capable and decked out fourby that I'm proud to own.

Here she was a few days after I picked her up, and also on our first camping trip

First modification was a new pair of seats, they're suspension seats from another Paj so they bolted straight in which was nice. They certainly aren't in 'brand new condition' but I got them cheap, they work great and are a lot better than what they replaced!

Next thing I got onto pretty quickly was the passenger seat belt issue. I ended up having them both replaced with brand new ones, and went for bright blue webbing. No photo's though unfortunately but you'll be able to catch a glimpse of them in future photos.

Next up was replacing the ratty, 30 year old brown carpet. Now it's worth pointing out here that I've got very little car modification experience but decided that to keep the project of modifying this car cheap as a whole, I would try and do everything myself. The carpet was no exception to this so I headed down to BCF and picked up some marine carpet. Here's some photos:

Pretty happy with how it turned out!

I'd run into a few storage issues on my camping trips so decided it would be a good idea to get some sort of roof basket, a few days later I had found a pair of old adjustable roof racks for $20 and a small basket to clamp on top for another $20! Not going to win any beauty pageants but did the job:

A month or so later I had a go at tinting the whole car myself, armed with a $20 roll of 30% VLT tint from eBay and a bunch of Youtube videos. It actually went relatively well, few mishaps here and there and it took a full day but can't complain too much with result! Bit of a before/after:

4wding up north, may or may not be a bit of tricky photography at play here...

Ok next up is a big one, drawers for the back! I took the rear seats out a long time ago so I had plenty of room ready to fill. I kept the wood as thin as possible to try and keep the overall weight down. I think the pictures explain the build pretty well on their own:

Switch panel instal (switches for interior lights, exterior light and USB charging points).

The finished product! There will be plenty more tweaks and adjustments to come but this was V1.

So roof baskets were on sale at Super cheap so this happened... Also got an tiny awning

Time for some real tyres, picked up some 31" Maxxis bighorns, starting to come along now...

Tested out the new tyres while camping at Waroona Dam, very impressed

For about 3 months, I tried calling all the 4wd shops in Perth to see if they could install a recovery point on the back of the paj, but got turned down by them all. In the end I got this Landcruiser recovery hook welded to the chassis, which works great and has saved me on the odd occasion where I forget the Paj isn't a comp truck

Camping up at Two Rocks:

I put together a new rear table that's a little bigger and has a lip to stop my cooker sliding off when the car isn't level

Eugh, it's not all fun and games! Blew a head gasket and warped the head...

Added a light bar to my arsenal:

Picked up yet another new roof basket...! Very happy with this new one though, think it's a keeper

Been wanting new plates for a while so finally got around to getting some, PAJ-084 because she's a Pajero, from 1984

Back to the shed, this time for a new centre console build. Main objective = cup holders.

Got bored, painted my door trim and put some new speaker spacers in

So, I may or may not have blown the engine

Coming back from a great trip to Kalbarri, pushing the old girl to the limits to make it up a steep hill at 110kp/h, fully loaded on a 40+ degree day resulted in the engine remaining cool for the rest of the trip home... because it was on the back of a truck...

Turns out my temp gauge lied and told me things were fine, when in actual fact the engine got so hot that one of the pistons expanded and bit into the surrounding cylinder before ceasing

Queue full rebuild. Took the whole engine out, rebuilt the lot with new pistons and had the block professionally re-sleeved and refaced. Replaced the entire cooling system, radiator, fan clutch, hoses, thermostat and put in a new water temp gauge and an EGT gauge so it never happens again!!

Scored all this for $50, let me know if you need any miscellaneous interior doodads :P

Chucked on the new door trims, they look more premium than the old vinyl ones, gonna have to start dressing up for trips in this luxury beast now...

Hit a roo at 80kp/h, bullbar took it like a boss but my narva's got smashed to smithereens. Replaced them with these HID's - nothing special but they do the job.

Had a go at fixing the passenger door's rust...

All done and primed, just going to leave it primed for now, will get around to painting the whole car one day...

More repair work done, cut the rusty sills out and welded in some tube steel. Pretty happy with how it turned out

So my old awning got destroyed by heavy winds while I was camping up at Wedge island about a month ago, my own fault for not taking it down and assuming she'd be right... But hey, now I've got a shiny new and longer kings awning and sidewall

Just a beautiful camping spot up at Sandy Cape I thought was worth sharing

Found a nice set of dunes on our way back from Sandy Cape

Time for more new rubber!! Picked up a set of 31" Cooper ST's with 90% Tread

Dropped her off for painting today!! Both my doors had rust so I figured now was the time to swap them over

Continue reading through the following pages for more...
    Last edited by Daniels_Paj; 23-01-18, 06:40 PM.
  • RUGGA
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2014
    • Adelaide

Loved the intro Dan, thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum. Sweet little Ride you have there, Now. Interesting Mags that came with it. You forgot to mention the skull door knobs.
    02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• chrisall
      • Sep 2016
      • WA

Nice one Dan - love the look of your gen 1. Definitely a keeper.

Cheers,
      Chris

(Perth, SOR)
      2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.

Comment

• starjunk
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2011
        • Sydney

Nice one Dan! I love stories of older cars gettin' some lovin' rather than being wrecked. Great work! Welcome!
        '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
        '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
        '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
        '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• tuffpajNT
          • Dec 2014
          • Darwin

nice work. tough little paj. i got 2 gen1 shorties. love them

Comment

• Jack ANT
            • Mar 2012
            • Shoalhaven

Great stuff. Love seeing these great cars brought back to life for practical use.

Comment

• kiwi1973
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • New Zealand

I don't usually visit the Gen 1 forum, but glad I did today. Loved your photos and found it inspiring what you've achieved with this Gen 1.
              2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• 98NL GL
                • Oct 2011
                • Cairns

Welcome to the forum.

A nice example you have there and I must say I love me GEN 1 shorty too.
                XSWAT 1998 NL GL, 3.5L MANUAL, 2" OME 50 mm Lift, MAXXIS 751 33X12.5R15 on CSA N26 RIMS with -11 OFFSET, UNIDEN UHF, NARVA 175 SPOTTIES, AIRCON & RADIO/CD,......CONVERTED to SEVEN SEATER, Manual Hubs (ex tritton)
                1990 NG SWB 2.5 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, 33s, LIGHT BAR, GEN 2 IDLER & PITMAN ARMS. PLANS - Dual Battery.
                1999 NL SWB 2.8 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, INVECS TIPTRONIC AUTOMATIC GEARBOX, ARB BULLBAR, DUAL BATTERY, SPOTTIES, ROOF RACK.
                2016 MY16 PAJERO GLX AUTO DID GRAPHITE COLOR STOCK

Comment

• Daniels_Paj
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2015
                  • Perth, Australia

Thanks for the positive comments guys! There's a few more things that have been done to it, I'll dig up some more pictures and throw them up after the weekend

Comment

• tuffpajNT
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Darwin

My SWB paj has a loud exhaust, did you notice a reduction in cabin nose after doing the draw systems?

Comment

• MSF
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2009
                      • Sydney, Northern Beaches

SWB 4 lyf !!!!!
                      Last edited by MSF; 21-04-17, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Daniels_Paj
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2015
                        • Perth, Australia

Originally posted by tuffpajNT View Post
                        My SWB paj has a loud exhaust, did you notice a reduction in cabin nose after doing the draw systems?
                        Mine had no rear carpet and numerous small holes in the rear floor when I bought it. So before I built the drawers I plugged all those holes and carpeted the rear, that made a difference, not huge but noticeable. The drawers had less of an effect but definitely made it slightly quieter.

If you're thinking of putting drawers in yours and wanting to reduce cabin noise I'd suggest putting some Dynamat under them first, and it's definitely worth doing the front half of the car at the same time if you go down that route

Comment

• Daniels_Paj
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2015
                          • Perth, Australia

Well I'm pretty excited, my car is officially booked in for a full respray!!

The current paint is in a pretty bad way, terrible fading on the roof and bonnet, paint chips everywhere and rusty sections. Basically it's well overdue and I finally found the right place at the right price

It's going in to the shop in about a weeks time and I've got a bit of stuff to do in the meantime, I need to remove everything off the car ready for paint and I want to replace both my front doors (bottom of the passenger door was completely rusted).

I've managed to get my hands on two new doors in brilliant condition from a late model lwb pajero. I fitted the first one last weekend which gave me a few headaches but we got there in the end. The most unexpected issue was that the car the doors came off had power windows where as mine has manual. This meant that there was a metal reinforcement plate inside the door which prevented my manual window regulator from fitting. Long story short, I was able to drill out the welds holding the plate in and remove it.

Watch this space for painted photos in a few weeks, the colour is going to be a bit different...!

Comment

• TheBanana
                            • Aug 2013
                            • Brisbane QLD

Have you got any more photos of the sills, caught mine on the weekend and put a hole through one, turns out they're a bit thin and rusty on the inside.
                            Would be keen to try something like you've done cause they look sweet
                            1983 NA SWB with a 4d56t, running 14psi through a custom water to air intercooler, 2.5in turbo back exhaust, Kinugawa adjustable wastegate, Boost and EGT gauges, Snorkel, Provent Catch Can, Manual Hub conversion, 40mm EFS lift, ARB Bullbar, Aluminium roof rack, awning, 31'' BF-G KO2's on 15x8 -23 steelies, Factory Flares, 41" light bar on the roof, lightforce strikers up front, and a set of much needed cup holders

Comment

• cruisn06
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2011
                              • Perth WA

So your the guy hoggin all the blue interior parts... we nned to have a chat my friend. haha. nice build. looks the goods. ill keep an eye out might see ya on the roads.
                              07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X