• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • awbeattie381
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Inner West, Sydney

V6 starter motor

Can anyone tell me if there are two types of starter motors for the gen 1 V6s? My service manual states there were two types, but it covers gen 1 and gen 2...'direct drive type' and a 'reduction gear type'

Looking at ordering a new one and installing it myself as an auto electrician has quoted me about $360 but was vague on whether that was new or reconditioned. He did say it was a big job as he had to jack it up and take the wheel off!!!

I have found some for around the $160 mark plus shipping in the UK and US. Just awaiting a factory quote (a million $$) and non factory quote from here in old Sydney town.

Any tricks to the installation? Looks pretty straight forward.
    Last edited by awbeattie381; 22-01-14, 12:44 PM.
    Andrew
    1989 NG Superwagon V6
    2017 Subaru Forester Diesel
    1974 Viscount Valiant Caravan
  • MSF
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2009
    • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Originally posted by awbeattie381 View Post
    Any tricks to the installation? Looks pretty straight forward.
    Nah mate, it's a big job, You have to jack the car up and remove a wheel - That's like 6 nuts you know - so make sure you know what you are getting yourself into before you start - ha ha

Comment

• PajeroDude
      • Mar 2009

When I did my I used a stater motor from a manual v6 Ts Magna and it took me all off 15 minutes if that without taking the wheel off.So no it's not a big job.

Comment

• MRMOPARMAN
        • Sep 2012
        • kangaroo flat

if you have a lift you dont even need to take a wheel off.

keeping in mind, mine is an auto, but i remember reading the starters are different from auto to manual. im not sure if thats true, i just bought auto starters just to be sure.

also i read that manual magna starters are the same as auto paj's. might be the same vice versa? once again i didnt get a chance to test the theory.

just make sure you take the negative terminal off the battery before you start, as the starter motor is always live, and its quite easy to knock the live starter wire onto an earth whilst pulling the starter out.

it will make it MUCH easier if you have a 3/8 socket set with uni or wobble bars.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X