• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pju
    • Jun 2010
    • Brisbane

Cooper AT3

Hi all,
    I have been scouring this excellent forum on tyre advise.
    There is a lot of articles which have helped me with my shortlist.
    Thinking of going Cooper AT3 or Bridgestone D694LT AT. Since its been some time now since the release of the AT3 I am looking for any owner feedback on them. ie road noise, any problems etc etc.
    I will be touring Vic High Country and Simpson Desert next year plus the usual black stuff we all do.

I am thinking of going up to 275/65R17.

I have eliminated BFG and other more aggresive tyres as I do a fair bit on road as well and want a balance.

Thankyou.
    2010 NT Active DID
  • Marty V
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Cranbourne, Vic

Just fitted 265/70/17 on my Challenger with Black Sunraysia's and looks mint... Rubs on the front inner gaurd which is an easy fix... Heat up the plastic and gentley push it in a bit so it clears...

The rims only cost about $120 a corner...

Always had BFG ATs but the wait is crazy at the moment and the guys at Tyre Power recon these new AT3s have much stronger side walls like the Mickys and the BFGs...

Tread depth is impressive as is quietness, grip and ride comfort...
    Attached Files

Comment

• PAJ30
      • Oct 2011
      • Townsville

I have had nothing but BFG's on my Cruiser for over 10 years and had nothing but good experience with them on all surface's (twice around OZ). I just put some new AT3's on my new Pajero, there is really not much (good) AT choice for an 18inch rim. I place them on in Brisbane and travel to Townsville very smooth quiet on the road. As of yet I have not had a chance to try them of road.

(My opinion) I have had experience with bridgestone and did find the tread was not very self cleaning which is a must in the desert on a rainy day but they are good on soft sand at 18psi. Sorry this has not helped in your choice but I do pick tyre's on the diversity to cover my type of driving 85% Road 15% Dirt and amount of KM's that I can achieve and choose the Cooper's (end of opinion)
      NS Cool Silver 25th Anniversary Edition with family pack. ARB Sahara bar with winch, dual batts, 2inch lift and 275/65R18's BFG Race pipe and HPD can and rear diff lock.

Comment

• SimmoT
        • Jun 2009
        • Wyndham, WA

There's a fair bit of discussion on this in the tyre section below.

Cheers

Simmo
        2010 NT RX DiD Manual, Cooper ST-Maxx 265/70/R17LT, Tow Bar, TJM T13 Steel Bar, Airtec Snorkel, X-Ray Spotties, HD Kings, RAW Shocks, ARB Alloy Roof Rack, Outback Rear Drawers, Icom IC-440 UHF, TJM DBS Dual Battery System, 60L LRA Aux Tank, BushSkinz Bashplates and Sliders, Polyairs, 2.5m TJM Awning, OX 9500lb Winch.

Comment

• Kyle
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Marty V View Post
          Just fitted 265/70/17 on my Challenger with Black Sunraysia's and looks mint... Rubs on the front inner gaurd which is an easy fix... Heat up the plastic and gentley push it in a bit so it clears...

The rims only cost about $120 a corner...

Always had BFG ATs but the wait is crazy at the moment and the guys at Tyre Power recon these new AT3s have much stronger side walls like the Mickys and the BFGs...

Tread depth is impressive as is quietness, grip and ride comfort...
          Is it possible to get the really low profile tyres on my Paj- I would never go offroad so think it could look good -I think some hiluxs and others get tem sometimes??? Would it affect the car at all (apart from improve the handling)?
          Kyle
          March built 2010 NT Exceed DID-Black !
          Bonnet protector,Side step ilumination,headlamp/fog lamp protectors

Comment

• linc
            • Jan 2008
            • Perth

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
            Is it possible to get the really low profile tyres on my Paj- I would never go offroad so think it could look good
            Should get a Dodge Nitro in that case
            Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
            Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
            Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar

Comment

• Thomo238
              • Apr 2009
              • Perth

Is it possible to get the really low profile tyres on my Paj- I would never go offroad so think it could look good -I think some hiluxs and others get tem sometimes??? Would it affect the car at all (apart from improve the handling)?
              No comment!!
              2011 NT RX 3.2DiD.ARB Winch Bar,Avenger 9500lb Winch,ARB Lockers,OME 2' Lifted Suspension,Poly Airs,58lt LRA Tank, Redarc Dual Battery Kit,Snorkel,Rock Sliders,GME UHF TX3340,265/70R17 MTZ's,Full Under Body Protection,48lt S/S Water Tank,HID Spot Lights,LED Light Bar,Custom Made Rear Draws,Diff Breathers,Diesel Smart Module,B&M Tranny Cooler,Dual Wheel Carrier,Rear,Camp Light,In Dash GPS,Coupler Tech,Tyre Monitors,Scan Gauge,3' Manta Exh,HPD InterCooler,RhinoRack etc

Comment

• Tom52
                • Jan 2010
                • Melbourne

I've seen a few HiLuxs & Landlubbers like that & all I can do is shake my head & think what a waste of an off road vehicle, I thought that only happened in America! Thankfully I've never seen a Paj like that - yet!

Also I believe that there is an ADR with something about the wheel/tyre size not being able to be changed because of the ABS & ESC. My guess is that these pimped up HiLuxs are not legal & may have insurance issues so be careful if you decide to do the same. Maybe get a HiLux yourself - or as linc said - get a Dodge Nitro..
                Tom
                Sold - 2010 NT DID Activ, Ironbark, ARB Deluxe bullbar, OME lift, Cooper AT3s, Bushskinz bash plates, Dual batteries, Towpack, Prodigy P3, Scangauge II, MiVue 358 Dashcam, towing a 2015 Jayco Journey Outback

Comment

• markpeh
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • Lake Clarendon QLD

The load rating of the tyres is important to keep it legal. that is what makes many utes illegal in the tyre department.
                  NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

• Tom52
                    • Jan 2010
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by markpeh View Post
                    The load rating of the tyres is important to keep it legal. that is what makes many utes illegal in the tyre department.
                    It's not just the load rating as I can remember reading something about tyre size not being allowed to be too far off original specs as it affects ABS/ESC operation.
                    Last edited by Tom52; 20-11-11, 08:08 PM. Reason: .
                    Tom
                    Sold - 2010 NT DID Activ, Ironbark, ARB Deluxe bullbar, OME lift, Cooper AT3s, Bushskinz bash plates, Dual batteries, Towpack, Prodigy P3, Scangauge II, MiVue 358 Dashcam, towing a 2015 Jayco Journey Outback

Comment

• Silver Streak
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2010
                      • Adelaide. South Aust.

Originally posted by Tom52 View Post
                      Thankfully I've never seen a Paj like that - yet!
                      You do see 'em around, but.....

Nice photo Marty (see below), but can't see the subject matter.......the tyres and rims.
                      Maybe should've used a flash, or turned it around to the sunny side.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Silver Streak; 21-11-11, 08:58 AM.
                      Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

2010 NT (Nov) Platinum Pajero, DiD auto, Iron Bark.
                      Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

• Tom52
                        • Jan 2010
                        • Melbourne

Originally posted by Silver Streak View Post
                        You do see 'em around, but.....

Those pics look like they were taken in Japan - they pimp their cars too.
                        I was in Sin City over Melb Cup W/E & saw a HiLux with tyres half that profile. It would damage its very expensive rims if it drove over a matchstick. What a waste of an off road vehicle.
                        Tom

Comment

• Donny
                          • Oct 2011
                          • Shoalwater WA

G'day just had cooperAT3 lt 265/65/17 fitted two months ago seem ok noise wise . I haven't really tested them yet ,due for a big trip march next year.

Comment

• Marty V
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2008
                            • Cranbourne, Vic

Here... These shots are a bit better...
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Marty V; 24-11-11, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• jawk
                              Valued Member
                              • Feb 2009
                              • Australia

just ordered a set of at3's from my usual fella - he says they are "thousand times quieter...".

Will get them on next service - about 10000kms from now.

By then the BFG At's will have over 70000 on them

Cooper AT3 = $369 a corner tho (17's) ouch... (vs. $349 for new BFG At's)

CHeers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X