• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kelly
    • Sep 2009
    • South Australia

Outboard motor to tow hitch

Hi all, you buding inventors, have any of you that may have a tinnie on top when touring come up with a way to store the Outboard motor.
    I have been on google trying to find a outboard motor carrier that may bolt into the tow hitch similar to a bike carrier. So before i try and design something from the ground up, i was hoping to hear from any of you that may have a plan or idea of their own.
    Await your replies.
  • Calspec
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • SA

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
    I have been on google trying to find a outboard motor carrier that may bolt into the tow hitch similar to a bike carrier.

I'm sorry. Now have a mental picture of you driving down the road with an outboard motor hanging off the back. That's bound to attract some attention. Shades of Jeremy Clarkson!! Who needs a tinnie, just motor straight on in when you get there.
    01 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto, SVI LPG, Pacemakers, Alloy Bar, IPF lights, GME TX3440, OME/King Suspension, 2" Lift, Toyo OCII 75's, 2500Kg Tow Hitch, Milford Cargo Barrier, ARB Fridge, ABR Dual Battery isolator, Rear storage drawers, Hema Navigator 7, JVC 7" In dash DVD, TJM Compressor, 2.5T Hand winch and all the bits that go with it, and a 17' Jayco Westport.

Comment

• Kelly
      • Sep 2009
      • South Australia

Evening Calspec thanks for the tips and advice.
      Seems the Pajero Forum doesnt have a solution for my NT Pajero and outboard motor.
      I asked the same question of the Prado Forum, and it seems the Toyota team have been asked this question before and as such have some ideas.
      There is the K- Mar option of replacing the rear bumper and spare wheel carrier and add in some swing arms , seems K- Mar make it for the Prado and chances are they could do it for the Pajero only issue is the $$$ and time it will take.

However the Prado boys suggest i look at the following websites and adapt something up from that.
      Take up to 4 bikes with you right on your trailer hitch receiver with bike carriers at Discount Ramps.Com! at Discount Ramps

and www.hitchmate.com.au/index.htm

So time to pull out the welder , get some tube and fire up the 9inch and we will make a bracket that has the motor up next to the spare on a swinging gate so when i open the tail gate it swings out the way.
      And who knows when i cross the Jardine, up the Tip i may just fire up the outboard and not worry about the Ferry.

If anyone has a idea other than i enter in Top Gear i am all ears.

Comment

• Pedro2
        • Aug 2010
        • Perth

Hi Kelly,

I solved your same problem on an 80 Series Cruisier. I simply welded a second Reece Hitch type reciever to the Reece towpack and made an outboard mounting bracket which slid into the Reece female reciever and was located by a pin (the same as the tow tongue.) This worked a treat did a Kimberleys trip including the GRR.

On a Patrol I mounted the 15hp Merc on my Spare Tyre mounting bracket with a similar tounge. Spare wheel on roof rack or trailer. I fabricated all of these myself if you can weld its easy. This may be a better option if you can relocate spare tyre.

Comment

• Kelly
          • Sep 2009
          • South Australia

Hi Ya Pedro.
          Thanks for the thread and reply.
          I looked at the spare wheel idea a while ago , did the calcs and i think it would/ could work but gave it away as i have already too much weight up top with the boat , tent and sleeping gear and i am not sure i would fit the spare under the boat any way.
          BUT your idea of a second hitch off set is a great idea.
          I have tried playing around with using the centre hitch but with spare wheel in the centre the motor sits out to far.
          I also sketched up an idea of a counter lever bracket that comes out the centre but has the motor sitting to the side of the wheel, but thought this would be too much lateral twist load on the centre hitch.
          But your idea of the second hitch may just be the answer.
          I will crawl under the pajero and see whats involved in doing it, and if it can work.
          Just then need to design something up that can also swing out the way.
          For now i have removed the back seat and have made a frame for it to bolt down to the floor , not the best solution but it works.
          Thanks again for taking the time to reply and you have excited me in to taking another look, i cant believe i didnt think of that one myself, sometimes as they say you can see the wood through the trees.
          Regards Kelly.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Peakhurst, Sydney

Maybe replace bumper...?

Perhaps you need to fit a replacement bumper that has two tyre carriers on it, but use one for the outboard?
            Seems to me the most practical way as you can lift off one carrier (or both, & refit spare to door), when you're not travelling, to make it easy for your wife. Anyway they fit the type of catch that's very secure but still very easy to open!
            I know Kaymar & Ultimate 4wd-equipment make the type I'm thinking of, but neither appear to make one specifically for the Pajero.
            Australian designer and manufacturer of the world's toughest rear bars, spare wheel and jerry can holders/carriers for 4x4 vehicles make a hit in USA market

Ultimate 4WD has been transforming 4×4's for years & is a renowned in the off-road community for its top of the line builds. We build vehicles from the ground up to fit your needs

Cheers
            Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
            "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Kelly
              • Sep 2009
              • South Australia

Hi Ya Stevie,
              Thanks for the thread and the info. I am waiting on Kaymar to get back to me , and as a result of your thread i have sent off a request to Ultimate 4wd. At present as you said both their web sites dont have anything for a Pajero. I guess the monocoque construction with the full free float rear suspension makes for strength issue to fit up a rear bar and the supply and demand issue. Anyway i will wait to hear from them.

I crawl under tonight to investigate Pedro's idea of a second hitch, which may be a possibility but i have clearance issues with the Long Range Tank. I plan on putting it under a hoist on the weekend to see what we can work out, with a hitch in place we then just need to design up a swivel mechanisum and we may have a solution.
              Anyway thanks for the links and we will see what they come up with.
              Regards Kelly.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2009
                • Peakhurst, Sydney

Forgot about Formula Offroad...

Hi Kelly,
                I just remembered that these guys manufacture wheel-carriers that are attached to the towbar of the vehicle, & as you can see from their website they'll vary the design to suit the various vehicle types. Actually had they make a combination-rear/towbar for the '87 Pathfinder I owned for 11yrs, & they added rear-quarter panel-protection bars underneath which I requested & they worked great!

Maybe they could make one up that has the spare far enough away from the pivot so they can add an extra bracket so your outboard so the prop faces away from the tyre towards the pivot. If the spare bracket is made high enough it should clear your draw-bar on your caravan. Alternatively, have them make up a new spare bracket that has the spare stay on the door, but higher & closer to the side to make room for the outboard.

Cheers
                Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Kelly
                  • Sep 2009
                  • South Australia

Gidday Stevie-Ray, thanks for the thread and particularly the link.
                  This is exactly what i am looking for. Hopefully they can make something that allows the motor to go the side of the spare wheel , thus keeping the price down.
                  I did some searching myself , but couldnt find anything like the details you have provided so many thanks. I checked theri link and have sent off a email, and will call them later in the day. Many Thanks again regards Kelly.

Comment

• Goody
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Brisbane

Hi Kelly, I had a simlar problem with my 20kg 5HP 4 Stroke, couldnt find a suitable carrier out there for a Pajero, or that didnt make the credit card squeal, haha.
                    Im a caravanner and I got a mate to mount a carrier on the rear bar of the van. Its made of alloy and is very stury with gussets and angles all over the place.
                    Are you towing a camper trailer? or just going it alone.
                    Its hard with the Jero and its 100kg roof limit, thats why I have a Porte Bote, couldnt get an easy fix for a roof loader
                    2018 NX GLS Pajero
                    3.2 DiD
                    Pretty stock, Uniden UHF, Dual battery system, HPD Catch Can, Rear Draws and fridge slide
                    Tug for my van and boat
                    I love herhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...lies/smile.png

Comment

• Lance
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • Melbourne

A couple of ideas ?
                      Attached Files
                      2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                      2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• Kelly
                        • Sep 2009
                        • South Australia

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                        Hi Kelly, I had a simlar problem with my 20kg 5HP 4 Stroke, couldnt find a suitable carrier out there for a Pajero, or that didnt make the credit card squeal, haha.
                        Im a caravanner and I got a mate to mount a carrier on the rear bar of the van. Its made of alloy and is very stury with gussets and angles all over the place.
                        Are you towing a camper trailer? or just going it alone.
                        Its hard with the Jero and its 100kg roof limit, thats why I have a Porte Bote, couldnt get an easy fix for a roof loader
                        Hi Goody
                        Thanks for the reply to the thread. Basically I have a quintrex tinnie up top on a reinforced roof rack and home made boat loader i got the plans for from a fellow member.
                        I have an off road caravan which i carry the yamaha 15hp on the Aframe using a slip n easy motor loader and on the rear of the van i carry a mangrove jack fold up alloy trailer. This set up all works very well and no issues.
                        Our problem is we are travelling OZ and as much as its an off road van next year when we do the Tip/ Gulf/ Shady Camp/ Cape Leveque/ we will be leaving the van somewhere at base camp. There fore we need a solution for the Motor. The boat is up top thats all cool and a 30 sec oz tent under the boat, we have two engles in the car plus drawer set up etc. I will use the dolly wheels and a home made hitch i made to put boat in an out of water . THE ISSUE is the motor. So as much as i have tried to find a solution no luck thus far , i have chased down the thread replies i got but with no luck no one will make bar work to fit the pajero regardless of $$$$ i cant find anyone interested.
                        For now i have made a wheel barrow concept idea that i use to wheel the motor around thus not breaking my back, this has been made so i can wheel it straight up into the rear door opening and locates where the seat once was and lashes to the floor. Only issue is as much i vent it there still is the fume smell.

So as you can now see with a caravan its not an issue, try buying a foldup trailer that will do off road they dont exist, so the motor mounting has become the challenge.
                        Last weekend i had the Pajero up on hoist and we may have a solution its in the design stages but it will use the tow bar and adding two new hitch sleeves, and reinforcing the monocque tailor welded blank chassis rails as such. Time is against us as we are already travelling along the Darling river on our way to its start , the roads are ok to use the van here so no issues .
                        So you mentioned there was a solution but very costly $$$$$ can you let me know what was the solution and who would do it???
                        Hear back soon regards Kelly.
                        Ps sorry for the long thread.

Comment

• Kelly
                          • Sep 2009
                          • South Australia

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                          A couple of ideas ?
                          Hi Ya Lance
                          Many thanks for the reply to my thread seems the ideas keep coming many thanks.
                          Problem with this solution is the motor will sit very low even though i have a 60mm oldman emu lift and extral large profile tyres the hitch measurement off the ground is 510 mm. Then there is the issue of length to adding clearance problems coming out of creek crossing as the distance from the rear wheels will more than likely hit coming out the rear. Then there is the opening of the tail gate???
                          But thanks for the tread i intend using this idea in principle but i need to make some serious mods as i need to be able to bring the bar out but support it at the ends and add swivels so it swings out the way, then have some riser so the motor sits alongside the spare wheel. Lastly try and find someone who will do it as i have no time.
                          Many thanks though its through ideas like yours that solutions come.
                          Regards Kelly.

Comment

• AJC
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • ACT

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                            Hi Goody
                            Thanks for the reply to the thread. Basically I have a quintrex tinnie up top on a reinforced roof rack and home made boat loader i got the plans for from a fellow member.
                            I have an off road caravan which i carry the yamaha 15hp on the Aframe using a slip n easy motor loader and on the rear of the van i carry a mangrove jack fold up alloy trailer. This set up all works very well and no issues.
                            Our problem is we are travelling OZ and as much as its an off road van next year when we do the Tip/ Gulf/ Shady Camp/ Cape Leveque/ we will be leaving the van somewhere at base camp. There fore we need a solution for the Motor. The boat is up top thats all cool and a 30 sec oz tent under the boat, we have two engles in the car plus drawer set up etc. I will use the dolly wheels and a home made hitch i made to put boat in an out of water . THE ISSUE is the motor. So as much as i have tried to find a solution no luck thus far , i have chased down the thread replies i got but with no luck no one will make bar work to fit the pajero regardless of $$$$ i cant find anyone interested.
                            For now i have made a wheel barrow concept idea that i use to wheel the motor around thus not breaking my back, this has been made so i can wheel it straight up into the rear door opening and locates where the seat once was and lashes to the floor. Only issue is as much i vent it there still is the fume smell.

So as you can now see with a caravan its not an issue, try buying a foldup trailer that will do off road they dont exist, so the motor mounting has become the challenge.
                            Last weekend i had the Pajero up on hoist and we may have a solution its in the design stages but it will use the tow bar and adding two new hitch sleeves, and reinforcing the monocque tailor welded blank chassis rails as such. Time is against us as we are already travelling along the Darling river on our way to its start , the roads are ok to use the van here so no issues .
                            So you mentioned there was a solution but very costly $$$$$ can you let me know what was the solution and who would do it???
                            Hear back soon regards Kelly.
                            Ps sorry for the long thread.
                            Mate, if money is no prob, i can think of two solutions. One, Opposite Lock makes a rear bar to carry twin tyres or single tyre and a j/c. or indeed just the bar and keep the tyre on the door. I bet they could customise a swing away motor carrier bracket off the bar.

Kieran at Bushskinz has also fashioned up a sturdy rear bumper protection bar that comes off the Mits / HR tow receiver and it contains a tow hitch. He could possibly fabricate something for you.

What about in the rear with the 66% split seat folded down or out?

If you're looping out and back for your van, what about seeing if you can hire a decent box trailer / boat trailer near by? I've also sen a number of boxes / cages out there bracketted straight onto the rear tow bar. Most recently a tradies alloy ute box mounted to a 45mm angle frame that slotted into the hitch receiver looked good. Soem of these thing you seeon the back of vans and or winnebagos as well.

Good luck.
                            Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

• Kelly
                              • Sep 2009
                              • South Australia

Hi Ya Goody,
                              Many thanks for getting back to me, and the tips.
                              I did try Opposite Lock a while ago in SA Adelaide branch on South Road and they at the time said they dont do anything for the NT Pajero and had no plans as they know it.
                              I did however feel i was not talking to a Sales guy who really knew his stuff.
                              So I may try next week to talk to Head Office via a email and phone call and take it from there.

I will also google up your second tip and get some details and shoot off a email to them as well.

Re the rear if ya take a look at an earlier thread you will see thats exactly what we will be doing, when we go bush we will take out the rear seats leave them in the van, and incomes my wheelbarrow motor holding bracket that lashes all down to some hold down hooks i have made , from there we add a couple jerries of water and a few tubs and we are good to go other than the hassel of doing it , it works fine its about a 60 minute set up conversion. Only issue i find is the fuel smell is still there even after i vent it a while.

Re the basket idea on the rear, that goes into the hitch , this is where i am now headed , the challenge is how to make it work and have the rear clearance, designing a canterlever arrangement that will swing out of the way from the tail gate.
                              We have a sketched up design we think that will work, that my cousin in Broken Hill helped with when we put it on his hoist.
                              Involves a lot of fabrication though so as to work around the long range tank and additonal support beams that would run under the floor so some of the load is transferred on to the front crossmember , the idea will work and add lots of strength to the rear .
                              ONLY issue is it will change the crash crumble zone completely , not sure this something i want to do on a brand new 2010 Pajero???

Anyway thanks for the feed back.
                              Regards Kelly.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X