Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Starter

Hi.
This time looks like my starter going to an end. Just curious what to expect? Just cleaning and put it back in or some parts need to be changed or just need to get new one? It still turning but with every time it's getting worse.
Old 1 Week Ago

Most people just get a new one. Not from the stealer if you can avoid it.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Bosch motors are available from most spare parts outlets - DON'T buy ones from the Internet as they sometimes send you rubbish - I ordered a Bosch online and ended up with a rebuilt motor.

The new one I got a few months ago from Bursons cost me about $150 I think. That's for the 4M41 diesel motor.

PS Just realised you're not in Oz - I wouldn't think Bursons would be in Latvia.

Cheers

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

If you have a diesel, they often get diesel fuel dropped into them when the fuel filter is changed or if it is leaking. This can lead to starter problems, but unsure if cleaning helps. Best to prevent the potential issue by using a large rag to protect the starter when changing filters & a container to catch any diesel spilled.

PS - make sure the cause isn't the battery or crook/dirty connections in the cables (at battery and starter, etc.), as starters are sometimes replaced only to find the issue is elsewhere.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Send a message via MSN to marcthelegend

I took mine apart and cleaned the internals with kerosene, regreased and reassembled the unit and it improved things quite considerably, sadly it only lasted another 6 months before a replacement was required.

Brushes were in good shape as were all the internals, I assume the problem was with the commutator or the internal windings, given the time it would take to have it reconditioned and what not I bit the bullet and bough an ebay one for $120AUD, it performed flawlessly for 2 years before I had to replace it again.

Be careful leaving it too long though as there is a thread on here where someone had a number of teeth stripped from the flexplate as the starter was only part engaging, transmission out job so quite an expensive repair!
05 NP GLX 3.8L Auto: 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Uniden UH015sx, 8 spotties (6 forward facing 2 backward facing), Upgraded stereo, Hand Winch, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Bridgeston D694 LT tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back).

To-do:
brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)
Old 3 Days Ago

Thanks for advice, took off and changed for refurbished for cheap, hope to run it for some time..