Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderay View Post
Yes we use it in our Tvan and shower ensuite, rarely over 1/2 power so 2kw is heaps for us.

ray
Have you found it perfectly happy to tick over on 1/2 power for extended periods without any carboning up issues etc - or do you turn it up max periodically to burn off any build up that may occur?
MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders & rear bumper bash plate. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

Another question....since the portable models draw air from the outside and not from inside the van, I would have thought they'd need to run hotter, particularly on a cold night or morning ?
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with Toyo OPAT AT2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
Another question....since the portable models draw air from the outside and not from inside the van, I would have thought they'd need to run hotter, particularly on a cold night or morning ?
Good point. For my intended use with a tent it would be beneficial, if workable, to draw air from inside the tent. I.e. put both the air outlet and inlet in through the entry into the tent. With a permanent caravan installation the heater unit would already be in the van and thus drawing air from inside the van, but for my intended use this would mean putting the heaters exhaust out the hole in the tent, which would likely be too dangerous without some way to seriously insulate it.
MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders & rear bumper bash plate. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.
Old 5 Days Ago

Just on a counter argument. If the external air is cooler, it will be denser and result in better combustion, also better than using your internal fresh air.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 4 Days Ago

to answer all questions above:
1. we use the heater mostly on 1/2 power and have not turned it up for any length of time, but Given this warning I will start it up on high and then turn it down when the van is warm enough.
2. we use it on heat mode not thermostat mode because I have covered the return air entry, it draws air in through side vents over the hot exhaust muffler to provide a bit of preheating before going through the heater.
3. the heater has ample heating capacity so we have chosen to do without the return air/thermo function. this means we select the heat level we want and the unit runs at that level continuously, when tested on thermo mode it kept shutting down when the van was warm enough and then restarting when cool, uses more battery power that way.
4. Using the wrinkly exhaust tube and the muffler inside the toolbox I find the exhaust only warm to touch not hot, a suitable sleeve over the exhaust tube would easily stop it from damaging a tent entry point.

I would be tempted to try the $300 units from Planar if I was rebuilding now, they look good and include more bits like fuel tank and muffler and intake filter.

Ray
NT Pajero (white), Smartbar, Warn winch, LightForce Lights, Safari snorkel, Provent 200, Lovells MD with Aussie Ryder shocks, Optima main and aux battery and 180w solar on roof, Tvan Sport campertrailer.
Old 4 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderay View Post
to answer all questions above:
1. we use the heater mostly on 1/2 power and have not turned it up for any length of time, but Given this warning I will start it up on high and then turn it down when the van is warm enough.
2. we use it on heat mode not thermostat mode because I have covered the return air entry, it draws air in through side vents over the hot exhaust muffler to provide a bit of preheating before going through the heater.
3. the heater has ample heating capacity so we have chosen to do without the return air/thermo function. this means we select the heat level we want and the unit runs at that level continuously, when tested on thermo mode it kept shutting down when the van was warm enough and then restarting when cool, uses more battery power that way.
4. Using the wrinkly exhaust tube and the muffler inside the toolbox I find the exhaust only warm to touch not hot, a suitable sleeve over the exhaust tube would easily stop it from damaging a tent entry point.

I would be tempted to try the $300 units from Planar if I was rebuilding now, they look good and include more bits like fuel tank and muffler and intake filter.

Ray
Thanks for clarifying - very helpful. I don't think you can buy a genuine Planar for $300 - a real Planar will be near three times that. That said, just out of curiosity I did a search on Ebay.com.au and was surprised by the volume of similar diesel heaters available quite cheaply - around the $300 level.

Belief and Snugger are Chinese, but seem to have become respected as being good quality, and at around the $600 to $700 are about one third the price of the big name German branded heaters. Same is true of Planar (Russian made). Hence a diesel heater (full kit even!) at the $300 price level seems too good to be true..... yet tempting. Of course they aren't really good value if they turn out to be crap. Hard to know.
Old 4 Days Ago

fair point , I should have put Planar in inverted commas, someone on the Tvan forum has bought a cheap unit and is testing it, time will tell if they are reliable and long lasting.
NT Pajero (white), Smartbar, Warn winch, LightForce Lights, Safari snorkel, Provent 200, Lovells MD with Aussie Ryder shocks, Optima main and aux battery and 180w solar on roof, Tvan Sport campertrailer.
Old 4 Days Ago
Valued Member

I actually ended up spending some time on Ebay last night looking at what they have there in some more detail and trying to research whatever feedback/reviews on them that I could find. I couldn't really find much in the way of horror stories and most reviews that I could find seemed very positive. All good, though it is early days and it will be interesting to see how these very cheap units hold up long term. I had been budgeting a spend of $700 on a Belief, but am now considering giving a cheaper unit a try, as I can get one (including free delivery to NZ) for $300. I must say though, some of the advertising on Ebay was suspect, with some sellers claiming their units were 8kw. This was suspicious given the specs showed the same fuel use as the 5kw units - you can't make an extra 3kw out of nothing. However, this is likely sellers getting carried away and not necessarily a reflection on the quality of manufacture. Not that I can imagine anyone would really want an 8kw unit anyway.
Old 3 Days Ago

Ive got a 2kw Ebay special in my Jayco Hawk and it warms the van up nicely. Haven't had it in cooler than 8C yet so time will tell but from a build quality point of view I haven't had any as yet.
Ironman / Lovell 50mm lift, 275/65R18 Maxxis Big Horn's, Custom Rear bar protection, Bush Skinz intercooler guard, 4mm oil pan guard (self made), Bush Skinz Trans and Transfer guards, Bush Skinz Rock sliders, ARB Deluxe colour coded bull bar, ORU 12,000LB winch, Light force 240 Spot Lights, Custom dual battery carrier / Red Arc Isolator, UHF, Custom Tuned Uni-Chip.
Old 3 Days Ago
Valued Member

my Remote Snugger arrived today, which is good since I ordered it late Friday. Test tomorrow.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with Toyo OPAT AT2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.