Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

I am sure that you would avoid ladies of the night, with your wife & kids with you. One good investment may be a good dashcam. In Australia there has been a plethora of TV shows about drivers in overseas countries. They seem to be mainly Russia. A dashcam may help sort out what happened when/if disaster occurred. I know that in Thailand, it is a case of who has the most money pays up, no matter who was in the wrong. And of course the foreigner is always in the wrong... You have been around yourself enough to know this anyway I am sure.
Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

All advice welcome and I will be sure to avoid those ladies of the night. I need to read up on the instructions, but I believe my Go Pro Session 5 can double as a dash cam - I think it has a loop recording mode. Not what I bought it for, but if it can perform as a dashcam I'll use it as such in the cities.
MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders & rear bumper bash plate. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.
Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

looks like an amazing trip - the road of bones is covered a bit in the motorcycle trip (tv series) called Long way round by Ewan Mcgregor and Charlie Boorman.... if you have not seen it its a great watch and covers some of the areas you are going.... they mention that the wnidow for the road of bones trip is pretty small as well. the interesting part is the camera/backup crew do much of the European section in a gen 3 Pajero

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans
Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumagoo View Post
looks like an amazing trip - the road of bones is covered a bit in the motorcycle trip (tv series) called Long way round by Ewan Mcgregor and Charlie Boorman.... if you have not seen it its a great watch and covers some of the areas you are going.... they mention that the wnidow for the road of bones trip is pretty small as well. the interesting part is the camera/backup crew do much of the European section in a gen 3 Pajero
I watched a few Long Way Round videos on YouTube a while back and took great interest in seeing the Gen 3 Shogun - and I think the other support vehicle was a L200/Triton from memory.
MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders & rear bumper bash plate. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.
Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi1973 View Post
I watched a few Long Way Round videos on YouTube a while back and took great interest in seeing the Gen 3 Shogun - and I think the other support vehicle was a L200/Triton from memory.
Yep that sounds right.

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

Last couple of days I've been paying quite a bit of additional attention to the issue of diesel quality in Central Asia and Siberia and trying to find out as much as I can, particularly regards the suitability of taking a common rail diesel engine through countries where diesel quality could be unknown and alternative supplies unavailable.

I know I already outlined a plan for dealing with this, but it is part (3) of my previously outlined plan that I am now questioning. The plan I previously outlined was (1) filter diesel going into my fuel tank with a Mr Funnel, (2) fit a secondary fuel filter with water trap and (3) add a lubricity enhancer to each tank fill.

I am confident the above plan will robustly defend against excess water and particle contamination in diesel. The part I'm less confident in is whether adding a lubricity enhancer (such as CRD Fuel Enhancer) will truly be sufficient to offset any chemical/petrol contamination in the diesel. This is an unknown that seems to have no means for me to practically measure.

Given the extremely cold winters (minus 65 not uncommon) I believe the local diesel is likely to contain parafin/kerosene. This would make the engine produce less power given the lower energy stored in kerosene relative to diesel, but this is not the primary concern. The issue is how much kerosene needs to be in the diesel before a common rail high pressure pump risks catastrophic failure due to lack of lubricity. An older style diesel injection pump may well do ok with the same fuel, but a common rail style pump is more sensitivity to any reduction in the fuel lubricity. As mentioned, I will use a lubricity additive equivalent to CRD Fuel Enhancer, but even the manufacturer of that product is unable to give me any definitive guidance as to what degree of fuel contamination or kerosene/paraffin content their lubricity enhancing additive is able to protect against.

Asking around on forums belonging to the overlanding community it is difficult to get straight answers. Quite a few of them seem to prefer older style diesels for overlanding in developing countries, or even petrol. That said, I would be far from the first to go through with a common rail engine. I know of someone who has been right through Africa in a modified LC200 with the common rail diesel and he had no issues - I don't know what additional filtration he might be running. I've also heard of someone who has twice filled with sufficiently contaminated fuel as to have had to twice replace all injectors - and that was a petrol vehicle! Thus it seems fuel quality is a real concern in these places, and not only for common rail diesels, though they may well be the most vulnerable if not protected as much as possible through additional filtration.

I'm still researching in this area. I am still intending to take the Shogun on this journey, so long as my further research doesn't turn up anything particularly untoward.

I should also add that as part of my research I visited the Mitsubishi Motors websites for a bunch of countries between Central Asia and Africa. I wanted to see which engines Mitsubishi is offering Pajero's with in those countries. Generally the 3.2 litre common rail is widely available, but there were some countries primarily selling the petrols (either the 3.8 litre of the 3.0 litre). I was surprised to see that in some countries (can't recall which now) the NX Pajero is being sold with the old 4m40 2.8 litre (non common rail) engine and a 4 speed transmission.

Last edited by kiwi1973; 5 Days Ago at 01:09 PM.