Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 1 Week Ago

Default ns 3.8 v6 vrx rear axle problem

my 2007 NS VRX V6 has a vibration , more noticeable when it "kicks down" a gear,,,an inspection by suspension people has told me that the left hand rear axle has some play,,,i am having a difficult time finding a rear axle assembly for the VRX,,,i have been told the VRX has a different length axle ??,,,can anyone shed any light on where they can be rebuilt and replacement units sourced,,,rand a dozen or so wreckers , they all told me they are hard to get !!
cheers

nstarrengower
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstarrengower View Post
my 2007 NS VRX V6 has a vibration , more noticeable when it "kicks down" a gear,,,an inspection by suspension people has told me that the left hand rear axle has some play,,,i am having a difficult time finding a rear axle assembly for the VRX,,,i have been told the VRX has a different length axle ??,,,can anyone shed any light on where they can be rebuilt and replacement units sourced,,,rand a dozen or so wreckers , they all told me they are hard to get !!
cheers

nstarrengower

Could be as simple as tightening the left hand axle nut. It's a common problem.

Needs to be bloody tight. Around 255nm from memory.
Old 1 Week Ago

Default rear axle vibration

thanks for the reply,,,all that has been done, when bearing hubs done,,cheers,,nstarrengower
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Just be careful that you are chasing the right part. You say that someone has told you the rear axle has some 'play'. Normally that would point to the hub/axle nut being loose, which BruceandBobbi has already raised.

The rear CV drive shafts (axles) in the Pajero tend not to wear out easily at all, so long as the rubber boots don't come loose or get a tear etc. So I'm not sure if finding one of these will turn out to be the source of your problem. Also, I'm surprised that wreckers would tell you these are hard to get, because for the aforementioned reason of durability of these, I don't think they're in huge demand.

It's not so much the case that the VRX model has different length axles, it's just that apparently there is a difference with models that came with the factory rear diff lock. Does your's have that?

I had a true wear problem with my left rear cv driveshaft when I was touring overseas in countries where no spares for a Gen 4 Pajero were available. It wasn't the cars fault, rather I had fitted an aftermarket cv boot that wouldn't stay in place. In just a day of offroading the grease inside the joint was replaced with mud and dirt. I was alerted to the issue by clicking, as the joint wore quickly in those conditions. As I couldn't get a replacement cv driveshaft I pulled out the existing 'clicking' one and stripped it down. Cleaned it all up and re-greased it with new moly grease. It continued to click and not sound good, but we managed to drive another 2,000km's like that - just clicking, no vibrations.

I tend to doubt that a CV driveshaft is the source of your vibration, but I wonder if you should get the tightness of that hub nut checked again - they need to be bloody tight. There's nothing in the cv driveshaft to go out of balance as such. If worn the indication is usually 'clicking', which you haven't mentioned. I would be extending your diagnosis.
MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders & rear bumper bash plate. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Last edited by kiwi1973; 1 Week Ago at 06:02 AM.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstarrengower View Post
cheers

nstarrengower
I recently replaced my diff mount bushings as there was a clunk when I eased off or accelerated. It wasn't the easiest job I've done on the Pajero
Old 1 Week Ago

I've just had to replace my rear left driveshaft too.

They are different lengths if the vehicle has a factory rear locker.
Old 1 Week Ago

Default ns vibration

thanks for the replies,,,will follow thru on all recommendations,,,and no, i do not have rear diff lock on mine,,,once again, many thanks,,,NSTARRENGOWER