• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pedrogra99
    • Aug 2017
    • Ecuador

Engine crank shaft emergency!

Hello friends! I need some advice. Today I was driving my 2001 Mitsubishi Pajero when I noticed a screeching sound coming from the engine followed by a stiffness in the steering wheel. I immediately pulled over and popped open the hood. I noticed that one of the belt pulleys on the crank shaft was totally lose and was touching the radiator fan. I took it to my mechanic, and he determined that the bolt that holds the pulley to the crank shaft had gotten loose and had broken off. After inspecting the bolt and the socket, they said that the bolt and where it screws in had been worn down due to the bolt being loose. They say they might be able to make a new socket to make a bigger bolt screw into but if that doesn’t work they will need to take out the crank shaft entirely and either make an adaptation to screw a new bolt in or just replace the entire crank shaft. Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone have any advice on how to approach the situation? Any help is greatly apricated! blob:
  • Lance
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Melbourne

Gooday Pedro.
    From my knowledge of Pajeros this doesn't sound like a common issue.
    Is there any chance of some pics of the damage ?
    2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
    2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

It seems to be all to common on the petrol engines. Lots of threads here discussing the crankshaft bolt coming out or breaking

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Sydney

I recall on the NJ with a 6G72 being recommended to use a strong threadlock on the crankshaft pulley bolt.
        NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Drewan
          • Apr 2017
          • Adelaide

If the bolt has broken off the thread or most of it in the crank might be ok. Worst case mabey a bottoming tap of a different thread and a trip to independent fasteners and get a new bolt with the different thread machined up. Cant see it being worth a new crank
          Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X