• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Endorphin
    • Jun 2007
    • Australia

K&N air filters

I've read on K&N's web site that their filters increase combustion efficiency resulting in more horsepower and acceleration. Is there any truth in this? What's the general consensus on K&N air filters?
  • zacc
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007

got one , not much of a difference at all , only advantage is it is washable .

Comment

• Bernoulli
      • Jun 2007
      • Oregon, USA

I noticed a difference on my 89 3.0 Raider, but went back to stock when I saw a filter test somewhere that showed the K&N did a comparitively poor job of filtering.
      89 3.0L 5Spd SWB Raider in NW USA

Comment

• Endorphin
        • Jun 2007
        • Australia

Thanks guys. Might save the money then. Always somewhere else to spend a $.

Comment

• Garygls
          • Jun 2007
          • Rockhampton

Hi Endorphin, I currently purchased some Unifilters,1 snorkle beanie, 1 replacement filter & a pac of 3 pre cleaners that fit inside the snorkle for extreme conditions. The lay flat filter part #TT335 210S & the others you have too let them know what type of snorkle you have fitted.
          Auto Pro & Auto Barn can order them for you.

Over the June/July school holidays i did over 5000 Klms on the black stuff, I washed out the Beanie & couldn't beleave how much dust/road grime it filtered.I looked at the lay flat filter & only had grime from around town before i put on the beanie. Very happy with the Uni Filter, Gary
          Dual Battery
          80Ltr Waeco
          91Ltr Longrange Tank
          3" Lovells/Bilstein
          3” Exhaust
          Winch
          NP 05 DID

Comment

• mrbishi
            • Sep 2007

I'd suggest going with a Uni Filter over a K&N - tests have been done showing that K&Ns let in a pretty shocking amount of dust in offroad conditions.
            Undefined Journeys Blog
            Exploring Western Australia 1 Dirt Track at a time!

Comment

• beaky
              • Aug 2007

dont mind oil type filters around town but always went back to paper when going off road for a while much easier to "knock" a bit of dust out every day than washing and reoiling a k&n

Comment

• Silver Stallion
                • Oct 2007
                • Sunnybank Brisbane

I have a K&N in my 2.8 TDi Triton and this has made a hell of a difference both in power and economy.

Comment

• gas55
                  • Apr 2015
                  • Port Macquarie

Have used K&N filters in 3 Pajeros and I Prado over the years and think they are great.
                  Just been to Alice Springs, Ayer's Rock, etc. and had some horrendous dust storms along the way. The Paj went like a train towing a full 'van, (our friends with a Landcruiser had plenty of problems!)

Greg
                  Last edited by gas55; 27-03-21, 03:46 PM.
                  Greg

Comment

• dreamerman
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • Sydney

Have always used K&N filters. Few days ago I swapped back in the stock filter and my NX felt sluggish. Just put back in the K&N filter 10 minutes ago. Sorted.
                    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• Meth'd_up_Mitsi
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Caboolture

It's mainly marketing hype, yes they do flow better than a paper filter, but a paper filter will hold way more dust than a K&N, which does help in those conditions. The advantage of being washable always has its merits, and the slight degree of water resistance helps the K&N's cause. But they have their disadvantages also, one being the oil used to trap dirt & dust, if you use too much it simply gets sucked into the engine, no harm there unless you have an airflow meter in the way, which will coat the various components and start various issues with running, idling etc..

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X