• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nannis
    • Apr 2012
    • Sydney, Northern Beaches

What tyres to get

Hi guys, I am due for a tyre change and I am struggling.
    I had 3 punctures with the original yokohamas so I replaced them all with cooper CTS at 5,000 kms.
    I have now 45,000 kms and 3 of the tyres are bold (and have been for a while) so not happy with them.
    Looking at tyres I was between Dunlop at22 or Michelin latitude tour.
    I don't do off-road, so highway tyres are fine. I just want something that will last...
    Any advice?
    Also, I am in Sydney, has anyone bought tyres from Tempe tyres? They are extremely cheap....

Thanks
    Vanesa
    nannis
    Graphite MY12 Platinum edition with Sunroof, Cooper CTS
  • bacon
    Banned
    • Feb 2015
    • Australia

After a lot of searching I fitted Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT 265 70 17 last month they are quite with good grip in the wet Im very happy with my choice

Tempe Tyers sell gray imports they are new but dont have Australian Pirelli warranty but if any thing goes wrong Tempe would look after you .If you get a price from Tempe ring around your local tyer places I bet they will match

Comment

• heady1399
      • Nov 2011
      • Dalby Qld

What tyres to get

Hi I replaced my original Bridgestones with 81500 on clock for a set of Yokohama ATS will see how they go good price of 214 per tyre with 4 for 3 deal at moment

Comment

• nannis
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by bacon View Post
        After a lot of searching I fitted Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT 265 70 17 last month they are quite with good grip in the wet Im very happy with my choice

Tempe Tyers sell gray imports they are new but dont have Australian Pirelli warranty but if any thing goes wrong Tempe would look after you .If you get a price from Tempe ring around your local tyer places I bet they will match
        I saw the Pirellis but they were a lot more expensive than the rest
        I was quoted $205 for the Dunlop and $225 for the Michelin....

I will go to a couple of my local dealers on the weekend and see what they can do,,,I need 5 tyres as I am driving bold and with a nail on the spare,,,,,
        I had 4 punctures in this car in under 4 years
        nannis

Comment

• GOSSAMER
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2008
          • doncaster east vic

What size?
          Bob Jane has buy 3 and get the 4th free on at the moment for Continental and selected Yokohama?
          Back from the Dark side
          NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Sandgroper
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Perth

I've recently put on my second set of Toyo Open Country HT and highly recommend them. They are great in the wet and still managed to get 104000 km's out of them.
            NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

• nannis
              • Apr 2012

I went back to the place where I bought my CTS and showed the wear to the guy there.

He said my tyres were gone, and asked me for the warranty card being stamped on every wheel alignment, which I didn't have, so I went back to my dealer, just around the corner who stamped it, and went back with the warranty card signed.

He will give me a replacement Cooper (the new SRX ones apparently) at a price in relation to the use I got out of the old tyres (60%)

I am happy now as I didn't want to spend &cover $1,000 in tyres again
              nannis

Comment

• bacon
                Banned
                • Feb 2015
                • Australia

Originally posted by nannis View Post
                I saw the Pirellis but they were a lot more expensive than the rest
                I was quoted $205 for the Dunlop and $225 for the Michelin....

I will go to a couple of my local dealers on the weekend and see what they can do,,,I need 5 tyres as I am driving bold and with a nail on the spare,,,,,
                I had 4 punctures in this car in under 4 years

Sorry nannis I just cant see how you drive around in a $50000 car and worry saving a few dollars on the most important thing a car can have and that is good tyers

Comment

• nannis
                  • Apr 2012

I was annoyed that I paid $305 per tyre for coopers with an 80,000 kms warranty and only got 40,000 kms before they went bold.... I could have gotten the same usage from tyres costing $200 instead,,,,

Considering this will be my third set of tyres in less than 4 years that I had the car, I was not happy
                  nannis

Comment

• 11T.Co
                    • Oct 2013
                    • Brisbane

Hi guys, I am due for a tyre change and I am struggling.
                    Vanesa
                    I know how you feel.
                    No matter what you end up with there will always be somebody who will have a different opinion or different results with the same type of tyre.

Tyre wear depends on many factors and some people will get many kilometres out of a set whilst others will be lucky to get 40,000 or less.

The type of road you drive on is a factor, as is tyre inflation, wheel alignment and regular tyre rotation; there's also a tendency for higher tyre wear if you do short trips because each time you take a turn at low speed (in car park, in/out of your driveway, traffic roundabouts) you scrub the tyre shoulder which will wear out quicker than the main thread.

If you drive mainly around town and do short trips you'll be better off with cheaper tyres because this situation will wear out expensive tyres just as quick as cheaper ones.

Having gone through the same thinking process, and needing new front tyres after a bit over 30,000 kms, I settled on a new set of Hankook ATM before going off on a long trip because the original set wouldn't have lasted until I get back; and the area I'm going to is also not renowned for competitive pricing.

I won't know for a while if I made a good decision as the tyres are being fitted next Tuesday and my trip doesn't start for another 3 weeks. Time will tell.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2014
                      • Wellington,New Zealand

I was annoyed that I paid $305 per tyre for coopers with an 80,000 kms warranty and only got 40,000 kms before they went bold.... I could have gotten the same usage from tyres costing $200 instead,,,,

Considering this will be my third set of tyres in less than 4 years that I had the car, I was not happy
                      getting punctures is the luck of the draw.However that seems low mileage.Are you sure you keeping them at the right pressure.?Punctures and low mileage suggest to me that maybe pressures are a bit low?
                      2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                      BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• nannis
                        • Apr 2012

Sorry, 3 of the punctures were with the original tyres, so at 4,000 kms, I changed them for the coopers.
                        They have been bold for the last 10,000 kms and I got a puncture a couple of weeks ago only.
                        nannis

Comment

• Having Fun
                          • Jun 2015
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by 11T.Co View Post
                          I know how you feel.
                          No matter what you end up with there will always be somebody who will have a different opinion or different results with the same type of tyre.

Tyre wear depends on many factors and some people will get many kilometres out of a set whilst others will be lucky to get 40,000 or less.

The type of road you drive on is a factor, as is tyre inflation, wheel alignment and regular tyre rotation; there's also a tendency for higher tyre wear if you do short trips because each time you take a turn at low speed (in car park, in/out of your driveway, traffic roundabouts) you scrub the tyre shoulder which will wear out quicker than the main thread.

If you drive mainly around town and do short trips you'll be better off with cheaper tyres because this situation will wear out expensive tyres just as quick as cheaper ones.

Having gone through the same thinking process, and needing new front tyres after a bit over 30,000 kms, I settled on a new set of Hankook ATM before going off on a long trip because the original set wouldn't have lasted until I get back; and the area I'm going to is also not renowned for competitive pricing.

I won't know for a while if I made a good decision as the tyres are being fitted next Tuesday and my trip doesn't start for another 3 weeks. Time will tell.
                          Great post!

I took a punt & put a cheap set of Chinese AT's onto my Nissan for similar reasons. It tows a heavy trailer every workday on tight back streets full of roundabouts & slow points. Why pay big dollars for name brand tyres that'll scrub out just as quickly in those circumstances! My only concern was that I took the Nissan on our last outback trip & was a bit concerned about how the tyres would perform on rough dirt roads. Well, the tyres handled everything the conditions threw at them, including Lorella Springs, with ease - not one failure - handling & performance were great The bill was $640 for 4 tyres fitted & balanced.

Comment

• Jondalar
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2011
                            • Brisbane

Nannis,

I've got the Dunlop AT20's on my 2014 exceed from factory, done 44,000 km so far including almost 10k towing a 2.3 t van and I'd say less than half worn. I do a fair bit of highway work and run 40 PSI always. The AT22 is almost the same tyre, very little difference in tread pattern. I don't mind the AT20's too much but they are not as good as the Bridgestone D840 I had on the NT in my opinion, I got over 95,000 km out of a set of those.

Cheers,
                            Karl
                            Pajero gone, driving something European and sexy now

Comment

• 11T.Co
                              • Oct 2013
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
                              Great post!
                              Thank you.

Perhaps we can also go one step further and tell others how much our tyres cost and then report our opinions of the tyres as we go along, and also give feedback of the mileage we get out of them.

I'll start by saying that these tyres,Hankook Dynapro AT-M RF10 112S, are going to cost me $215 each, including fitting at Jax tyres (also had quotes from other shops up to $240 for the same tyres).

Opinions and feedback to follow when I complete my trip.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X