Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 16-04-18

Default 2003 NP GLX - fitting fatory roof rails and Rhino roof basket

Hi all,
I've searched hi and low for information regarding whether you can fit exceed factory rails to glx but could not find exact information I needed. So I decided to experiment it myself and the results are quite rewarding. Before I begin listing all the steps I would like to take this opportunity to thank a member from this forum - Brett who gave me the rails for free. Such a nice guy. I'd like to give back the forum a little something but writing this how to fit the exceed rails onto glx. It might not be a detailed one but will certainly give someone who's been putting it off due to lack of information.

Note1: my NP did not have pre-drilled holes for the rails so I had to measure and drill them. Get a good drill bit as the channels are quite thick.

Note2: drill the holes as centre (in the channel) as possible for ease of fitting the rails.

So here we go:
Tools;
*10mm 1/4" socket and driver with extension
*drill & drill bits (I forgot which size but you'll figure it out based on the studs on the rails)
*silicone
*rags
*Best with 2 people

Remove Plastic trims & grab handles & roof lining clips
1). You''ll need to remove the plastics (front and rear) in order to remove or loosen up the B Pillar covers - refer to "Pajero Roof rails0" and "Pajero Roof rails1 pictures"
2). Remove Plastic panels at the back side windows - refer to "Pajero Roof rails4" picture
3). Remove front seatbelt upper bolts (B-Pillars)
4). Remove grab handles - front and rear
5). Pry off a few clips on the roof lining just enough to fit your hand in

Drilling the roof channels;
1). Clean the channels thoroughly so the silicone sticks and seals properly
2). Measure and mark the spots for drilling. Lay the rails on the channels and you'll able to mark exactly where the studs are.
Note3: Avoid drilling near (too close to) the centre factory hooks - footing for roof racks in the channels as you'll need some space for the footing of the rails. My mate didn't pay attention and drill 1 hole too close to the hook and we had to patch it up with lots of silicone.
3). Check and check again the marks for drilling as you don't want to make too many holes on the roof.
4). Carefully drill the holes as centre as possible
5). Clean up the holes with air gun or cloth
6). Cover the holes with silicones - be generous
7). Insert the studs and rails and fit the nuts underneath the roof. take care as not to over tightening the nuts - use washers if you have some - I didn't use any as I forgot to plan for them (silly me) but i made sure the holes are a just fit for the studs so it should be ok.
8). Clean up the silicone
9). Re-fit the plastics & grab handles
Note4: You can measure and cut the 2 channels cover strips and refit them after fitting the rails. I didn't bother putting them back on as most of the clips were broken. I think it's easier to clean with them off anyway.
10). Enjoy your exceed roof look

I went ahead and fitted the roof racks and basket I have from my previous exceed NP and now my NP looks very similar to my previous one. Fitting the roof basket definitely has a small contribution to the increase of wind noise and fuel consumption. I used to get 10litre/100km on free way and now I'm getting 10.3L/100km.
I think the roof rails are under rated from factory. They are certainly rigid and strong. I am sure they can handle 100kg.

Hope the pictures are of good use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pajero Roof rails1.jpg (179.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Pajero Roof basket3.jpg (189.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Pajero Roof basket_0.jpg (174.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Pajero Roof basket4.jpg (187.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Pajero Roof basket2.jpg (180.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Pajero Roof basket13.jpg (178.6 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by dtd1402; 16-04-18 at 03:12 PM.
Old 16-04-18

More pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pajero Roof basket7.jpg (186.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Pajero Roof basket6.jpg (183.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Pajero Roof basket5.jpg (192.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Pajero Roof basket8.jpg (178.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 16-04-18

more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pajero Roof basket9.jpg (184.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Pajero Roof basket.jpg (176.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Pajero Roof basket12resized.jpg (193.4 KB, 16 views)