Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 08-05-17

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have ordered a Projecta DC to DC charger and will wire it up myself. Just two questions: should I put a circuit breaker fuse on the auxiliary battery (located in the rear of the Paj)??

Secondly, where should I mount the DC to DC charger in the engine bay? Does anyone have any photos showing their fitment?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-17
Resident

One of the benefits of a DC-DC charger is that it can compensate for the voltage drop on long cable runs - which you're foregoing if you mount the charger under the bonnet and the battery in the rear.

Mount the charger as close to the aux battery as you can.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 08-05-17

That's good advice. Cheers.
Do I need to have a circuit breaker?

Old 08-05-17
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekk2 View Post
That's good advice. Cheers.
Do I need to have a circuit breaker?

Yes. Both at the main battery (which feeds the IDC25) and at the outlet for the Aux, or you have unprotected wiring.

I mounted my IDC to the wall of the rear seat well, just under the lid. I also removed the plastic tub.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 09-05-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcaver View Post
Not to mention, if you run the IDC25, you then have access to a quality MPPT solar regulator as well. For the $150 extra in price of an IDC25 over a standard VSR, you could probably loose most of that with the size of the wire required if your battery is rear mounted. I have a bcdc1240 in the camper and the IDC25 in the car. Feature wise, the Projecta craps all over the redarc IMO....Pity they don't do a 40 amper for the camper.
Second on the IDC25 with sharkcaver. I run one in the back of my Pajero and it works brilliantly. Charges my AGM at 14.4v quickly then floats at 13.7v. It also provides a three stage charging rate with a built in MPPT controller from my roof mounted 2x 120w solar panels when stationary. It will prioritise solar charging then change to alternator if it feels the extra current is needed.
No additional relays required all in one compact very easy to install package.
NM2002 Exceed DID. Safari Snorkel, Garrett GTX2863R Turbo, HPD Intercooler, Synergy / Turbosmart controllers, Mandrel 3" Exhaust Pyro, Built auto, ECB Bar with 12,000lb Winch & Dyneema rope, Rotronic battery system, 2x 120Amp/h AGM AUX batteries, Lovell 2", Airbags, Rhino AT2012, Fiamma Awning. 4x IPF spots 120w HID inserts. Alpine NAV Bluetooth with Type R sound system, UHF Uniden UH8080NB, Couplertec. Rear draw system, 1500w inverter. ARB twin comp / tank, ARB Locker. Evakool. NASA BM-1.
Old 09-05-17

this is were i put my DCDC CHARGER and in the back regards john

Old 10-05-17

Default DC to DC Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekk2 View Post
I have a 2013 NW Pajero and I am in the process of wiring up an auxillary battery for my Waeco 40L fridge in the rear of the wagon.
I read somewhere that most 4WD's built after 2010 have cut back on the output from their alternators and that a DC to DC charger was needed to bring the second battery up to full charge. Is this the case?
I was about to hand over some coin for a Projecta 25A DC to DC charger but if the alternator pumps out enough for both batteries to fully charge, then I can purchase a Projector 150 dual battery isolator for less than half the cost of the DC to DC charger. Will the isolator do the job?
Thoughts?
I installed a Projector Isolator and could only ever get 11 Volts to the rear Aux supply.Finally gave up and installed a DC to DC charger,result a full 13 Volts to Aux and no more problems.
It is all caused by the Smart or not so Smart Alternator.
Regards.
Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.
Old 18-05-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
One of the benefits of a DC-DC charger is that it can compensate for the voltage drop on long cable runs - which you're foregoing if you mount the charger under the bonnet and the battery in the rear.

Mount the charger as close to the aux battery as you can.
I was watching a YouTube video last night and they suggested installing a Redarc BCDC charger within a metre of the auxiliary battery to get full effectiveness. That was on the JTS (Jamie's touring solutions) site.
2005 NP Pajero Exceed DiD: Airtec snorkel, iDrive, Nudge bar with 24" Stedi light bar, Redarc's Ultimate Dual Battery setup, 2" MD King/Bilstein suspension combo, Flashlube catch can pro, Bridgestone D697 A/T's, Front/Rear RDA slotted disc rotors, Boo's bashplates.
Old 18-05-17
Valued Member

I have the redarc 1220bcdc-ign in the rear tub of paj with 2 agms. Last week I installed a projector icd25 in the camper trailer to feed 2 x fullriver agm,s. Fed from anderson plugs on rear bar. Fuses at both batteries. Straight away I got 14.4 on the gauge. Happy knowing that all 4 auxillaries will be getting 100% charge and will be maintained well. Definately put the dcdc as close as you can next to auxillary batteries. I have expensive seperate MPPT solar charger that I have connected solar with on the trailer.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 19-05-17
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
I have the redarc 1220bcdc-ign in the rear tub of paj with 2 agms. Last week I installed a projector icd25 in the camper trailer to feed 2 x fullriver agm,s. Fed from anderson plugs on rear bar. Fuses at both batteries. Straight away I got 14.4 on the gauge. Happy knowing that all 4 auxillaries will be getting 100% charge and will be maintained well. Definately put the dcdc as close as you can next to auxillary batteries. I have expensive seperate MPPT solar charger that I have connected solar with on the trailer.
You would be better off with a 40 Amper DC/DC for 2 batteries. However, with 4 batteries on the go, you wouldn't get away with 2 x 40 ampers I would think. I have the idc25 supplying a single battery in the tub and a BCDC40 in the camper feeding 2 batteries. There is nearly 90A consumed (at full load) from a 130A peak alternator. Somehow I reckon I will never get full current output on both the DCDC chargers as the alternator wont supply their needs. Voltage will be fine, but amperage wont.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys