Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 14-06-14

Default Minimum accessories to go off road

First post, First 4WD.

I bought the Paj a few months ago, it has mainly been used to tow a boat by the first owner so no off road updates on it.

I would like to take the kids for a day out on easy off road tracks but wondering what Pajero accessories I need to do it, i.e. lift, etc.
Old 14-06-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajy View Post
First post, First 4WD.

I bought the Paj a few months ago, it has mainly been used to tow a boat by the first owner so no off road updates on it.

I would like to take the kids for a day out on easy off road tracks but wondering what Pajero accessories I need to do it, i.e. lift, etc.
Easy tracks probably don't require too much. I used to take my NM out stock, and it did pretty well, eats up easy tracks. From that experience I'll put the accessories you'll want in order:

1. Snatch straps - Just in case
2. Bashplates - Best thing on your car, especially when stock height, probably the most needed mod when doing any tracks
3. AT tyres - better grip, helps heaps
4. Lift - makes easy tracks easier
5. The rest - bulbar, winch, etc etc depending on your $$$ and how easy the tracks are
Old 14-06-14
Valued Member

My Paj was stock standard for several years and in that time it went to most places in SA.
For what you describe your standard Paj will be fine.
As the tracks get harder you may then have an idea of what you need.
Just take care, carry a bit of basic recovery gear, read up on tyre pressures and you're away.
I found an old photo from 12 years ago, standard other than the cargo barrier.
And another one from this year. 2" lift, poly air bags, BFG tyres ( the best on the planet ), uhf, half a sandflag, long range fuel tank, go pro.
Outback and desert touring is what amuses me and as such I only have mods for this terrain.
Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paj on Mt Horrocks.jpg (190.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 80.jpg (114.7 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by dean; 14-06-14 at 01:56 PM.
Old 14-06-14

Thanks @dean, @pajflareo, good info there.

I am getting a bull bar put in soon as my previous car got hit by a kangaroo on the hume highway.

Bash plates sound good. My 4 tyres are new but a very basic I believe so will wait for the next tyre change to go all terrain.

I might try a few easy 4wd tracks first with a basic recovery gear as dean mentioned.
Old 14-06-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean View Post
I found an old photo from 12 years ago, standard other than the cargo barrier.
And another one from this year. 2" lift, poly air bags, BFG tyres ( the best on the planet ), uhf, half a sandflag, long range fuel tank, go pro.
Outback and desert touring is what amuses me and as such I only have mods for this terrain.
Dean
Nice pics!
Old 14-06-14
Valued Member

The Paj is quite capable of going over quite a lot more than just an easy 'track' in its stock form. It's more to do with how rather than what. If you choose the right transmission range, speed, tyre pressure and path, you can go anywhere - certainly anywhere that you would list as an "easy" track. If you want to be a little more adventurous then your first port of call is the tyre shop. A decent set of AT's will make a huge difference and prevent a likely puncture on those HT's. If you want to do the rough slow stuff then a lift is a definate. Other than that, some back up plans when you do bite off a little more than you can chew - snatch strap and hand winch/straps/shackles etc chucked in the back when you head off. A portable compressor is a help when you hit the bitumen again for the trip back. Running 18psi in your AT's at 110kmh on the highway won't be good for them. Bash plates are good insurance against underbody damage, but so is careful driving and path choice.
01 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto, SVI LPG, Pacemakers, Alloy Bar, IPF lights, GME TX3440, OME/King Suspension, 2" Lift, Toyo OCII 75's, 2500Kg Tow Hitch, Milford Cargo Barrier, ARB Fridge, ABR Dual Battery isolator, Rear storage drawers, Hema Navigator 7, JVC 7" In dash DVD, TJM Compressor, 2.5T Hand winch and all the bits that go with it, and a 17' Jayco Westport.
Old 14-06-14
Valued Member

A UHF Radio! Don't know if you class it as an accessory or necessity
Old 14-06-14
Valued Member

X2 stoneman. Unbelievable helpful.
Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476
Old 14-06-14
Valued Member

As stated the Paj is quite capable in standard form.

Driving to the conditions and keeping vehicle well maintained are essential.

A compressor, snatch strap and cargo barrier would be the first things on my list. A mate in another 4X4 would be my second!!

Where you drive will determine other functional accessories.

Hill
Old 14-06-14
Valued Member

Similar to above, basic recovery gear like a shovel and snatch strap and a rear recovery point as well as a compressor and uhf. An understanding of the car and the required driving techniques will get you through a suprising number of tracks stock. I'd suggest bringing another 4wd along with you until you are confident and capable of self recovery. Long walk out with the kids if you run into trouble.

I wouldn't fit any accessories before your first trip whatsoever. Just take it easy and modify based on what you find you need (just watch out for the intercooler without bash plates!)
Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.