Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Mechanical

Mechanical Discussion of mechanical matters

Old 05-08-13
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

As posted in another thread, the cam is designed to be turned by the motor, not turn the motor over. I would personally refrain from doing that. One other point that needs to be mentioned is under no circumstance, turn the motor backwards. Thanks for posting Goodsy

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 05-08-13
Valued Member

The motor is turned over 360 deg or one full turn of the crankshaft pulley to do the second lot of valves. There is no second mark on the crankshaft pulley as it is in the same place for TDC on 1 and for 4.
I have used a socket on the alternator pulley to turn the motor over, do it slowly to allow the compression to escape. Using the camshaft pulley would be putting excessive strain on the chain tensioner.
It cannot be stressed enough to ensure no dirt gets into the exposed injector couplings while working around them. I used little caps for the injector and pump fittings, they can be obtained from a diesel workshop. Make sure the injector pipes and ends are thoroughly clean before refitting.
Peter
Old 05-08-13
Who ya gunna call....

Um yeah your right Peter. Serious blond moment there.
Never turned it backwards and I applied so little torque to the cam bolt to turn the motor no damage could possibly be done.
Agree the crank bolt is the safest option as no damage can be done no matter what torque is applied by hand.

I do have blond moments but I'm not an idiot.

Last edited by Goodsy; 05-08-13 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-08-13
Valued Member

If you had the glow plugs out then it wouldnt take much to turn over on the cam. I usually leave the glow plugs in and just turn it over slowly.
Old 05-08-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morville View Post
The motor is turned over 360 deg or one full turn of the crankshaft pulley to do the second lot of valves. There is no second mark on the crankshaft pulley as it is in the same place for TDC on 1 and for 4.
I have used a socket on the alternator pulley to turn the motor over, do it slowly to allow the compression to escape. Using the camshaft pulley would be putting excessive strain on the chain tensioner.
It cannot be stressed enough to ensure no dirt gets into the exposed injector couplings while working around them. I used little caps for the injector and pump fittings, they can be obtained from a diesel workshop. Make sure the injector pipes and ends are thoroughly clean before refitting.
Peter
Hi
Just a couple of questions to clarify
Whats the most obvious way to tell if you are on TDC 1 or 4 ?
& what is the normal rotation of the engine ? Clockwise?
Thanks
Paul
SOLD - 2010 NT Pajero DiD Activ Mica Black - Safari Snorkel,T/Dog - 50mm Lovells rear, f/stone airbags, 50mm bilst/lov front. Ctek D250S. L/force 170's, Teko P3, C/Barrier, B/stone D697LT, GME TX4400, UltraGuage. ARB Sahara Bar. Bushskinz i/c, sump guards. Provent 200 & SPVi Mod. & d/son secondary fuel filter.

Check out my Photo Bucket;
http://s268.beta.photobucket.com/use...60064201786735
Old 05-08-13
Valued Member

At TDC1 both no 1 cyl. valves will be have some free play and the no 4 valves will be tight.
At TDC4 it will be vice versa ie no1 will be tight and no 4 free. It can be felt by trying to move the cam follower.
The motor turns in a clockwise direction looking from the front.NEVER turn it backwards or the chain tensioner can be damaged.
Peter
Old 06-08-13
Who ya gunna call....

To clear that up. The assembly has nothing to hold it in place in a counter clockwise direction so turning your motor that way will bend "stuff".
Old 06-08-13
Valued Member

I'm not sure and I need to check, but I think the camshafts turn in the opposite direction to the motor. Why do I think this way? The chain tensioner will then be on the non driving side of the chain and the tensioner will be able to take up any slack.
What do others think?
Which way did you turn the camshafts, Goodsy?
Peter
Old 06-08-13

I've been meaning to check my valves for some time. I got my crankcase cover out, read all the threads, but chickened out at the last minute.

Before bailing on the idea I did get to TDC by turning the alternator, I didn't remove the glow plugs and found it quite easy.

I used a socket wrench to turn the alternator CLOCKWISE when facing the engine, I did notice the crank DOES turn the opposite way to the motor.

Hope this was correct?
Old 06-08-13
Valued Member

To get TDC I jacked the rear wheels off the ground, put it in first gear (Manual) and got somebody to turn the wheel until the markings line up on the flywheel.
My daughter turned the wheel so it cannot be to hard unless she would still be whinging some six months later.
Adjusted the valves turned through 360 and double checked everything before putting things back together, check twice do once.