Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 14-05-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveXT View Post
I have decided to try clearing the light/code by disconnecting the battery but not sure if this will create other issues.
Unlikely to make a difference, didn't work when I tried it but you never know!
2010 Silver Challenger LS auto, ARB Deluxe Bar, EDS full length custom bash plates, Airtek Snorkel, Narva 225 broad beam kit with HID conversion, 2" lift with OME suspension, Yokohama Geolandar AT-S 265-65-17
Old 16-05-12

I could not find an obvious problem with mine, so got the dealer to have a look, and they have decided it is a fault in the drivers side seatbelt pre-tensioner, so they will replace that.
Old 13-08-12

Mine SRScame on at around 16k the dealer did short check and reset. Came on again at 28k, dealer replaced side curtain airbag no fix. Kept the car for a couple of days but could not find anything. Its come back on at 44k so its back to dealer and probably the 45k service this week.
Old 14-08-12

About a month ago they replaced a drivers side seat belt pre-tensioner or something like that, and the airbag light stayed off for about 1 week, and then came back on. They are now planning on replacing the entire drivers side seat belt assembly (tomorrow) and all its associated bits which sort of says to me that they dont have any idea what is doing it and just keep putting new bits in until the problem is solved for good..
Old 14-08-12

I had mine "fixed" about a month ago, they said it was a loose connection.
The "Fix" only lasted a day and I have not had time to take it back yet.
Old 18-08-12

The dealer just replaced the entire drivers side seat belt assembly, etc, and guaranteed that this was the problem and it is 100% fixed. That was Wedenesday, on Friday the airbag light came back on...hahaha..lucky I'm not paying..
Old 29-08-12

Just had SRS rechecked and reset. Said auto electrician found dirty terminal for side curtain airbag. Heard this before. Anyhow on the way home 10 klms out SRS up again. Have to put it back in for couple days to do more test! They did this 6 months ago. Hope they try something different. 4 times unlucky! not happy !!
Old 29-08-12
Valued Member

MMA need to find the issue on there OWN car in there OWN time and do a recall. My light will stay on untill they can be 100% they know what there doing
Bad business having a bunch of dealers taking pot shots with no success
Old 30-08-12
Super Moderator

I had a look at both the Service & Technical manuals and can report that the SRS system is large and complicated! 1x ECU, 2x G-sensors,4x impact sensors, 6x airbags, 2x pre-tensioners & clock spring all connected via the CAN system with wiring looms connected via 30 multi-pin plugs each with between 2 and 43 wires in each!

My GUESS (manuals do not have ECU logic/internal function explained) on how the SRS light/test works is; when ignition is turned "on" SRS ECU goes through a 7 second test function, where the ECU checks all 15 components connected to it via the wiring looms for a pre-determined resistance, if this resistance is not within programmed limits then fault codes are signalled, stored in the ECU and the SRS dash light stays "on" until fault/s are fixed and codes are cleared by the Technician using MUT-III. Fault codes, there are 79 in total, give the Technician a series of test to follow to check the components & looms that can trigger this fault code, total failure of a component or wiring loom will be easy to diagnose and fix but an intermittent trigger whilst driving could be very difficult diagnose and fix.

I can not confirm or disprove information on this forum that state when the SRS warning light is "on", and you are driving, the SRS system is switched off and will not function. My GUESS is that in the event of an accident it would only be the part of the SRS system that generated the fault code may not work and the balance would. Problem is you, the driver do not know what will, will not or may work in an accident!

The manuals WARN that before any SRS component or wiring looms are unplugged that the negative lead/s of the battery/s (inc. aux. battery, if fitted) be disconnected and insulated against accidental earthing. The ECU has an internal power capacitor so you must wait 1 minute after battery disconnection before unplugging anything in the SRS circuit, to allow the internal capacitor to discharge. Failure to follow this procedure will result in fault codes and SRS warning light "on" that can only be reset/cleared by connection to MUT-III at a Mits. Service Dept. Remember this when removing front seats or disconnecting any plugs when doing mods or fitting accessories.

Be patient with the Technicians who fix these sort of problems as it can take time and multiple attempts. From my experience the "Service Co-ordinators" are just clerks that run shotgun and give an abridged/sanitised/customer service/sometimes wrong explanation to what the Technicians have done. If you are not happy, ask to speak to the Service Manager and the Technician. I always document service & warranty problems with a polite email before and after visits to the Service Dept (always thank everyone by name) so I have a written history that can not be disputed.

Don't you just "love" the technology in modern cars! old Jack.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Last edited by old Jack; 17-09-12 at 03:59 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 31-08-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
I had the SRS light come on a few months ago. It turned out to be a connection issue with the side airbag. They checked all the connections and it was an easy fix after they found the bad one.

Good luck.

ScottB
Same happened to me ScottB. No codes showing for me but easily solved at dealers.
PB LS Challenger Auto 5 Seater , Tinted windows, H/R Towbar, ECB Big Tube polished bull bar, Tekonsha Prodigy, Rhino roof racks, CTEK DC-DC dual battery system and battery mounted on a false floor, GME TX-3340 80 Channel UHF CB, Bushskinz protection plates, Narva Ultima 175's Combo, Way too many GPS systems (Magellan 600 Explorist, TomTom running Hema Maps, Laptop/GPS mouse running Oziexplorer and Hema / Garmin Topo V3) + Android Tablet/Copilot, Chipit System.