• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nik
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • Perth

Which compressor???

I'm looking at mounting a compressor in my rear storage unit and running power to it (50amp fused cable). I've got a Bushranger compressor now that I could put an anderson plug on and bolt into the storage unit or I could go for an ARB onboard compressor. Is there any advantage over one or the other? I'm not running lockers and don't want an air tank.
    2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

The big advantage of the ARB one is it's tiny size. Best compressor for it's size on the market IMO.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Jimbo2
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2012
      • Bendigo

ARB,
      Small size, Quality, and the really nice mounting system that allows you to rotate it and get it into tight spots. Paid the extra and really glad I did.
      2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2010
        • Cairns

I now have 2x ARB compressors, very happy with them!
        My portable is something like 6 or 7 years old and has never skipped a beat despite LOTS of use.
        Here's a link to my freshly installed one:

Cheers, Dan.
        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• _jp_
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2013
          • Adelaide Hills, SA

I've been very happy with my ARB compressor. Although it has failed, it was able to be fixed by the local ARB shop as they have all the spare parts available. It was about 6 months out of warranty, but I explained my disappointment and they repaired it at no cost. Been goign strong ever since.
          NW GLXR - SOLD
          --------------
          EVO 6 TME

Comment

• sharkcaver
            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
            • May 2009
            • Perth

The ARB compressor is smaller than your bushranger, but it is a bit average in airflow IMO for a hefty price. That said, at Yaegerup, I was inflating from 10 - 40psi in about 3.5 minutes. Your bushranger is probably slower than that (if that's what you were using back then, I cant remember what type you had that day, but if I recall, it was sloooow).

As for your question......The arb is smaller and as stated already, parts are readily available. One other thing to note is the ARB comes with a pressure switch. So it will only operate when the switch is on and the line pressure drops and will stop when up to pressure....That's not to say you couldn't wire a pressure switch into the bushranger (fairly easy, cheap enough and easy to obtain).

Also, I know you know about the heat and hose failures of those portable types! (re Bigfella...)

If you have just purchased the Bushranger and have the mounting room, then buying the ARB is probably uneconomic to do so. In that case, I'd consider waiting till the bushranger failed (and it may never do so?)
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• dean
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007

Mr ARB died after 14 years so that tells it all.
              Buy quality and you get longevity.
              Now have a TJM for no other reason than that they are closer to me.
              Price was similar and performance is awesome.
              Dean
              NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• Nik
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2010
                • Perth

Thanks guys. Good to hear the reports on the quality of it.

Dan, I'd seen your thread. Very nice setup. I was surprised it fit under the seat actually, but that's a testament to how compact it is I guess. I've got an amp under that seat, but I've got space behind my fridge slide that I can't use for anything else so I'm going to mount it there.

Shane, that was the Bushranger I was using in Yeagarup and it does take it's time. It was less of an issue when I got it 4 years ago. The petrol Paj I had then had 17" rims with 31" tyres. But my DiD has 32" tyres on 16" rims and they are taking a LOT longer to fill. I hadn't looked at this before, but you got me thinking so I looked up the stats:
                - Bushranger Black Max - 40lpm @30psi
                - ARB CKMA12 - 66lpm @ 29psi
                So the ARB is a bit faster ... but then it got me thinking about the twin motor ARB:
                - ARB CKMTA12 - 132lpm @ 29psi

Wow, that twin motor is literally twice as fast. Maybe that's obvious but I hadn't realised it would be that dramatic a difference. Cost wise it's about $550 vs $300, so a fair bit more but if I'm going to upgrade I might as well go the whole hog. So that throws the twin motor model in the mix ... any reason I should stay away from it? I notice most people have gone for the single motor model, is that because of cost and size?

EDIT: Just thought about the current that would draw. It says draw under load is 50amps. I've got a 50amp cable, but it's going to be about 3metres from the battery, will that be ok? Given what it's going to draw should I run it off the cranking battery or will it be okay to run off the aux as well? I want to run a few other things off that feed (cigarette sockets and LEDs) when the compressor isn't running so if I can run it off the aux that would be ideal.

PS - I realise it's a bit of an unfair comparison on the Bushranger being their entry level model, but that's the model I've got so that's what I have to compare them against. It's been a good little compressor for the last 4 years. I broke the air filter off, and I think the aluminium body on that is pretty flimsy but it was easy to get a replacement one and it was surprisingly cheap. I'm quite happy to keep it as a backup, or a spare to lend when I got out with friends that don't have one.
                Last edited by Nik; 10-04-14, 04:41 PM. Reason: Considered current draw
                2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

• 02-SR5
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2010
                  • Toowoomba

Gumtree the Bushranger and get the ARB.

I run the single compressor, only because I couldn't fit the twin compressor where I wanted it.
                  MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• Troy711
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2013
                    • Canberra

I bought a $99 Aldi jobbie when they were being sold last time. By all reports it's a Dr. Air 150lpm (check out 4WD Actions comparo) except a different colour. It's bulky, which is a down side, but it serves my needs without busting the bank.

Comment

• Onslow
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Perth, Western Australia

X2 for getting rid of the Bushranger. The ARB twin model will reseat a bead on the rim too, many others won't without an air tank to assist.
                      NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• stevemc181
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
                        X2 for getting rid of the Bushranger. The ARB twin model will reseat a bead on the rim too, many others won't without an air tank to assist.
                        Or some lighter fluid and a lighter
                        2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                        3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• sharkcaver
                          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                          • May 2009
                          • Perth

Originally posted by Nik View Post
                          - ARB CKMA12 - 66lpm @ 29psi
                          So the ARB is a bit faster ... but then it got me thinking about the twin motor ARB:
                          - ARB CKMTA12 - 132lpm @ 29psi

Wow, that twin motor is literally twice as fast. Maybe that's obvious but I hadn't realised it would be that dramatic a difference. Cost wise it's about $550 vs $300, so a fair bit more but if I'm going to upgrade I might as well go the whole hog.
                          Is that price confirmed? last time I saw a price on the double pumper it was >$750 IIRC, that was the portable kit with the 4L resevoir).

But by all accounts, it is bloody superb.

The Aldi pump is a lot faster then the single ARB, but it sure isnt the same quality.

Now you've confirmed the "old" bushranger, I'd give serious consideration to the ARB or equivalent. You wont look back.
                          Last edited by sharkcaver; 10-04-14, 06:23 PM.
                          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Matatak
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • Perth

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                            Is that price confirmed? last time I saw a price on the double pumper it was >$750 IIRC, that was the portable kit with the 4L resevoir).

But by all accounts, it is bloody superb.

The Aldi pump is a lot faster then the single ARB, but it sure isnt the same quality.

Now you've confirmed the "old" bushranger, I'd give serious consideration to the ARB or equivalent. You wont look back.
                            He would be referring to the Mountable/Onboard version of the Twin compressor (the CKMTA12). Latest RRP is $567 for the kit.
                            the Twin Portable CKMTP12 is RRP now at $829
                            05 NP DiD Auto. 265/75R16, OME Suspension, ARB Dlx B/Bar, Warn Zeon 10-S, IPF HID's, Rear Drawer Setup, Pioneer Platform Rack, ARB 78l Fridge, GME TX3520SW UHF.

Comment

• Nik
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2010
                              • Perth

Troy - That's certainly an interesting alternative. Very different price range and still plenty of oomph. Not sure it'll fit where I want to put it, but I'll check it out.

Shane - Those prices were just off a quick internet search. I got them off ebay, but they were overseas prices. The local prices could be way off that. I'll give ARB a call and check.

Onslow - What, did you get fed up waiting for me to finish airing up I'd need to learn how to reseat a tyre on a rim and get some tyre levers but it's probably not a bad thing to to be able to do. Plus a good excuse to justify the expense

Steve - Your method sounds like more fun, I'll bear it in mind if I don't go for the twin pump model. Practising could be interesting ... lucky I don't have much hair to lose eh!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X