Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 16-01-17

Default Pajero springs for +50mm

Folks,

I am trying to understand if the springs used to increase the height of our beloved Pajero have the same height of the factory installed springs but beefier "wire", so we achieve the desirable increase in height but also obtain less sag and tougher suspension for our backs.

Or there is a after market solution that offer longer springs in length than the stock springs, maintaining the same sag as the stock springs but sustain the desirable 50mm increase in height.

I want to increase the height of my SWB PAjero, but want to maintain the good comfort my Pajero provide us.

Someone knows or has used longer springs in the Pajero?

Which ones?

Thanks in advance.
Old 17-01-17
Valued Member

That’s a good question. I have always thought the aftermarket springs that give a 50mm lift are actually longer but it might be that they are just made stiffer to hold the vehicle higher. I have a 50mm. lift in my vehicle using Dobinson springs and recently when I went to replace the Lovell shock absorbers with Bilstein, I said to the supplier my vehicle had a 50mm. lift and he said the shockers weren’t any different in length to the standard ones – I would have thought they had to be longer as well.

Cheers

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 17-01-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvesan View Post
Folks,

I am trying to understand if the springs used to increase the height of our beloved Pajero have the same height of the factory installed springs but beefier "wire", so we achieve the desirable increase in height but also obtain less sag and tougher suspension for our backs.

Or there is a after market solution that offer longer springs in length than the stock springs, maintaining the same sag as the stock springs but sustain the desirable 50mm increase in height.

I want to increase the height of my SWB PAjero, but want to maintain the good comfort my Pajero provide us.

Which ones?

Thanks in advance.
I'm actually unsure. I think it's actually a combination of both, but also depend on vehicle configuration as well. For instance I have a Gen 4 SWB, and it was advised against getting anything other than SD in the rear as HD would be too stiff if it wasn't constantly heavily laden in rear. My Gen 4 is diesel so I have either a MD or HD set up front and I have air bags in rear in the instance of loading up the rear I just need to up the pressure a little to compensate for the rear. The air bags when pressure is increase stiffens the working of the fitted springs.

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.
Old 17-01-17
Valued Member

Lifted springs are longer than standard by about 20mm from memory, and MUCH thicker.

The shocks only come in one length for the Paj. They can accommodate up to a 2" lift.

I've used both Kings and Lovells and find both give a good ride. Just don't get the heavy duty ones if comfort is the main aim.

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.
Old 19-01-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvesan View Post
Folks,

Which ones?

Thanks in advance.
A set of coil spacers will do what you want.

Matt
Old 19-01-17

Spring company's usually offer several spring rate's including lifted/comfort to maintain your factory ride through to lifted heavy duty to accomodate for those who carry larger load's while touring or towing etc , if you you do your research you should find a spring shock combination to satisfy your needs . I have a second Gen shorty and am running King 2" lifted/comfort spring's in the rear (14 years ) starting to sag a little now, tough dog torsion bars in the front (a little harsh when first installed though they are settling now ) I have just changed to Ironman foam cell shocks so far I am happy with the overall ride and comfort and handling of our shorty .
Old 19-01-17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewP View Post
A set of coil spacers will do what you want.

Matt
Depending in the height required, coil spacers may not be enough, you may also need to fit factory coils from a LWB to get the extra height but this will givew a minimal increase in spring rate. Most aftermarket coils have about a 25% increase in spring rates over factory. Real coils come in linear and progressive/variable rate so if you are after maximum comfort with light loads then progressive/variable rate coils are better. King do very good progressive coils.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 19-01-17
Valued Member

My std LWB gen 4 ones were the same lenght as MD Lovells 50mm lift springs when not in the vehicle.

I was a skeptic but was plesantly surprised by the ride quality, given the size of the wire. As you can see in the picture there is an extra coil in the spring making it a longer piece of wire, giving a better ride and the need for thicker wire.
Old 19-01-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHendo View Post
, I said to the supplier my vehicle had a 50mm. lift and he said the shockers weren’t any different in length to the standard ones – I would have thought they had to be longer as well.

Cheers

Geoff
So, can one install just front and rear aftermarket springs for a 50mm lift? Without changing the original shocks?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 19-01-17

I was just talking to the local Pedders guy and he confirmed that you only need to change the springs, mine have been ordered. I know what I'll be doing next weekend, followed shortly after by a wheel alignment.