• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

Secondary Filter mounting bracket

I finally got around to fitting up my secondary filter today.

It's easy to get to for replacement, seams pretty solid and I think it looks pretty neat.
    I made a Stainless Steel bracket and it all went well with one minor exception.

IT LEAKS.

I didn't think Tapered BSP fitting required any sealant, but mine certainly do. Im not keen on using Teflon Tape for Fuel Fittings and Im leaning towards using Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant. It's supposed to be ok for Diesel.

Anyone no anything about thread sealants for Diesel Fittings?

Steve
    Attached Files
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
  • Pusspuss5
    • Aug 2014
    • Thomastown, Victoria

Hi Ticky
    I used Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant on my secondary filter and have not had any leakage, been over 24 months now
    2014 NW VRX Di-D Auto 3.2 Cool Silver, SPVi MK3.1, IC/Sump Bushskinz, Internal LEDs, Donaldson aux filter kit #P903316, ScanGauge 11, GME TX3100 compact PnP CB radio, NW Foot rest, Mini 0806 dash-cam, Twin 6B&S Power to the rear, Century N70ZZLX MF battery

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
      Valued Member
      • May 2017
      • Sydney

Can I ask why Teflon tape is no good for fuel lines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• ticky
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2015
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
        Can I ask why Teflon tape is no good for fuel lines?

Thanks PussPuss. I think thats the way I will go then.

A lot of people use Teflon on Fuel fittings but my fear is a bit of teflon tape coming away and ending up in the fuel system. As some of this is after the filter, this could be a bad thing.

I am not going to engage with anyone that tells me I wrong, if anyone wants to use Teflon tape, go for it. In fact, you can use Duct tape if you want to, I dont care. But I dont want to use Teflon tape.

Steve
        2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
          Valued Member
          • May 2017
          • Sydney

Originally posted by ticky View Post
          Thanks PussPuss. I think thats the way I will go then.

A lot of people use Teflon on Fuel fittings but my fear is a bit of teflon tape coming away and ending up in the fuel system. As some of this is after the filter, this could be a bad thing.

I am not going to engage with anyone that tells me I wrong, if anyone wants to use Teflon tape, go for it. In fact, you can use Duct tape if you want to, I dont care. But I dont want to use Teflon tape.

Steve

All good. I only ask as I’m about to install my secondary fuel lines too and want to do it right.

Comment

• ticky
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

All good. I only ask as I’m about to install my secondary fuel lines too and want to do it right.

No worries Pizzaz.

I was probably a bit heavy with my last post, but I could for see a heap of people that have used Teflon tape, telling me that they had no issues with it.

Going to a liquid / paste sealer is my preferred way to go, but certainly not the only way to go.

I sealed all my fittings this afternoon with Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant. I havent primed the secondary filter yet as I dont need to start the car until the morning so Im leaving it for a while, but Im sure it would seal straight away if needed.

Steve

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
              Valued Member
              • May 2017
              • Sydney

No worries Pizzaz.

I was probably a bit heavy with my last post, but I could for see a heap of people that have used Teflon tape, telling me that they had no issues with it.

Going to a liquid / paste sealer is my preferred way to go, but certainly not the only way to go.

I sealed all my fittings this afternoon with Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant. I havent primed the secondary filter yet as I dont need to start the car until the morning so Im leaving it for a while, but Im sure it would seal straight away if needed.

Steve

No worries mate! I’ll check out this Permatex stuff myself. Cheers!

Comment

• ticky
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2015
                • Adelaide

No worries mate! I’ll check out this Permatex stuff myself. Cheers!

Hey Pizzaz
                The Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant has worked a treat. No more leaks.

Steve

Comment

• vladguan
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Adelaide

Hey Pizzaz
                  The Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant has worked a treat. No more leaks.

Steve
                  Steve, where was it leaking? in the inlet and outlet on the aluminium header?
                  Please call me Vlad.
                  -----------------------
                  MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• ticky
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2015
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
                    Steve, where was it leaking? in the inlet and outlet on the aluminium header?
                    Yeah Vlad, the Permtex was a quick and easy fix but I thought the Tappered BSP fitting shouldn't need anything.

Having said that, Diesel is one of the best Penetrating Oils around, I drained the filter into a tin and I have an old No2 Morse Tapper Chuck sitting in it to free it up.

Steve

Comment

• ticky
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2015
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
                      I was also told that there was no need for thread sealant but used one regardless. Cannot remember brand though but was in a white bottle.
                      Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant is in a white tube

Comment

• vladguan
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Adelaide

Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant is in a white tube
                        I got the larger volume metal jar/bottle I think from memory they did not have smaller quantities in stock.
                        Please call me Vlad.
                        -----------------------
                        MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X