• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pajflareo
    • Feb 2013
    • Syd

Need Mitsubishi specific wheel nuts?

Picked up a set of 2nd hand Pajero Sport rims to swap out my NW GL Steelies.

Was hopeing to pick up 24 nuts from my local wheel shop - as I have done a few times before without drama.

Anyway I was advised that with these wheels I need to have special Mitsubishi nuts with flat washers/collars.

Mitsubishi want $11 per nut

See the photo for details.

The bloke at the shop said you can use other nuts but they just don't hold as well on these rims. He says Toyota and Mitsubishi do it nowadays on their 4x4 alloys and he showed me some he pulled off a land cruiser. He told me that they don't stock them and when they need they just order from MMA.

Anyone have any experience with this?

EDIT: In any event I think i will get this style of wheel nut, I have found a retailer that is about half the price of MMA
    Last edited by pajflareo; 14-11-19, 02:19 PM.
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

I had to buy a set from MM when I bought my steels. The set that came with the alloys were different.

I think I paid $5/nut ($30/wheel) but can't be certain.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

Partsouq.com have them listed for around $1.74 plus postage.

Heres a pic.
      Attached Files
      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

Partsouq.com have them listed for around $1.74 plus postage.

There's alsoa few listed on Ebay for sale, set of 12 for $66 for instance.

Heres a pic.

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2013
          • Sorell, Tasmania

Or you could try Amayama.com

Previously
          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• MSF
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2009
            • Sydney, Northern Beaches

I think I have a heap of them here somewhere.
            Where in Sydney are you located - you are welcome to them.

Comment

• pajflareo
              • Feb 2013
              • Syd

Originally posted by MSF View Post
              I think I have a heap of them here somewhere.
              Where in Sydney are you located - you are welcome to them.
              Thanks MSF for your kind offer, and everyone else for their suggestions.

I got a set of 24 in black of an ebay seller "The Lug Nut King". Cost about $100 with express shipping. I ordered Thursday arvo and had them in hand Friday. Very happy with that.

The design is foreign to me. Without a taper I don't see how it self centres as you tighten them. In any event it was easy to get the wheel centred as it has the factory centre bore which holds the wheel in place before you even put the nuts on.

Comment

• spot01
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by pajflareo View Post
                Thanks MSF for your kind offer, and everyone else for their suggestions.

I got a set of 24 in black of an ebay seller "The Lug Nut King". Cost about $100 with express shipping. I ordered Thursday arvo and had them in hand Friday. Very happy with that.

The design is foreign to me. Without a taper I don't see how it self centres as you tighten them. In any event it was easy to get the wheel centred as it has the factory centre bore which holds the wheel in place before you even put the nuts on.
                The Paj wheels/hubs are designed to be a snug fit on the centre bore & this locates the wheel accurately, not the nuts. The centre bore carries the weight, not the studs. This is why it is important to only use wheels with the correct centre bore on these cars and not wheels from other cars with larger centre bores.

Check the nuts don't "bottom out" before the wheel is held tightly, as some after market nuts have different depths inside &/or outside, which can cause the wheel to be loose even though the nut feels tight.

Screw a nut on without a wheel & measure the space for the wheel is less than the thickness of the wheel.

Be sure to check the nut tension after a bit of driving, then again after about 100km.
                Last edited by spot01; 17-11-19, 08:11 AM.
                Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• pajflareo
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Syd

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                  The Paj wheels/hubs are designed to be a snug fit on the centre bore & this locates the wheel accurately, not the nuts. The centre bore carries the weight, not the studs. This is why it is important to only use wheels with the correct centre bore on these cars and not wheels from other cars with larger centre bores.

Check the nuts don't "bottom out" before the wheel is held tightly, as some after market nuts have different depths inside &/or outside, which can cause the wheel to be loose even though the nut feels tight.

Screw a nut on without a wheel & measure the space for the wheel is less than the thickness of the wheel.

Be sure to check the nut tension after a bit of driving, then again after about 100km.
                  Thanks for the tips.

Nuts had enough depth and the Pajero Sport rims fit perfectly

Comment

• spot01
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Adelaide

Looks good - I like the black nuts as they give it a more purposeful look.

Do the nuts have the separate washers & are they the same outside diameter as the factory spec?

What offset & width are the wheels?

Now, if only they had some 17" wheels that fit?
                    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• pajflareo
                      • Feb 2013
                      • Syd

Looks good - I like the black nuts as they give it a more purposeful look.

Do the nuts have the separate washers & are they the same outside diameter as the factory spec?

What offset & width are the wheels?

Now, if only they had some 17" wheels that fit?

Yep Nuts are the same as the OEM Mitsubitshi ones except black, complete with the collar/washer. They fit snug into the holes on the rim.

These are off a 2018 model Pajero Sport. 18x7.5 +38.

I think there is a similar style in the Trition range that was 17 inch?

I must admit 17 was my preference but 18's are more available and wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Comment

• spot01
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by pajflareo View Post
                        Yep Nuts are the same as the OEM Mitsubitshi ones except black, complete with the collar/washer. They fit snug into the holes on the rim.

These are off a 2018 model Pajero Sport. 18x7.5 +38.

I think there is a similar style in the Trition range that was 17 inch?

I must admit 17 was my preference but 18's are more available and wasn't a deal breaker for me.
                        Often the problem is the wheels won't clear the front brake calipers on the Gen 4, which may be more of an issue with Triton wheels rather than PS wheels (as they run smaller brakes) - how many mm clearance to the front caliper from the inside of the spokes?
                        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• pajflareo
                          • Feb 2013
                          • Syd

Often the problem is the wheels won't clear the front brake calipers on the Gen 4, which may be more of an issue with Triton wheels rather than PS wheels (as they run smaller brakes) - how many mm clearance to the front caliper from the inside of the spokes?
                          I am familiar with the pajero caliper issue as I ran into it fitting steelies onto my Gen 3.

Did not know the calipers were different between the Sport and Triton.

Probably about 5-7mm clearance on the NW with the Sport wheels I'd say.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X