• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaKaptin
    • Mar 2012
    • Brisbane, Qld

Update on wheels:

I managed to get 5x17inch NW rims which still had some decent thread left on the fitted Hankook Dynapro ATMs.

So ill wear them down first now before fitting new rubber.

Got going with my latest 6500km roadtrip across the country :-D

Review for the rubber so far:

noisier when between 20-80 kms/hr, no vibrations, look good, great on the highway when dry at least. (No significant wet driving done yet).

Would i refit once this set are done? No. I still want prob Cooper ST Maxx

Interestingly Max PSI rated on the tyre was 51PSI so the tyre fellas had 44 psi on em!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

As the sidewalls are specifying max cold inflation pressure of 51 psi I would expect these tyre's to be Passenger construction and have a load rating of 112, so you need to be careful is venturing off road as these tyre's do not have the sidewall and tread strength of a LT tyre and particularly since the tyre's are worn. For me 44psi cold is to high but there are many Pajero owners that run their tyre pressures in the 40's, I would always start with the tyre placard pressures plus 2 psi and see how the tyre feels and handles.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• DaKaptin
        • Mar 2012
        • Brisbane, Qld

Yes OJ.

These tyres seem to bow out rather more even at 30psi then im used to. Maybe something to do with their life with the previous owners?

I also came accross these: Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP. They come in LT spec and are signif. Cheaper than the coopers. They also seem to have a slightly more aggressive tread on them...
        Attached Files
        2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011

The Dick Cepek Country EXP has quite a shallow tread depth, between 8.4mm and 8.8mm so these will not last as long as tyre's with deeper tread or be as good in mud.
          My concern with Dick Cepek is the same as Kelly tyre's, they are a brand that seems to come and go then come back again, so support and ongoing availability varies.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• gemster
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2012
            • Gold Coast

Seems you know your tyres old jack, so I thought I would ask some silly Questions, im running BFG KO'2 at the moment and love them but I need something a little cheaper in 265/70/16... Most of my driving is on Bitumen with 30% dirt at the moment... Im wearing out the BFG's too quick using them around a place that loves roundabouts... But I will use them when I get into serious stuff like my annual trip to Cloncurry... I have another set of rims and im looking at something in A/T pattern that would be a good all-round tyre... Im confused with all the Blah Blah from tyre dealers that want to sell me what-ever they need to get rid off... So, im keen to hear of Others recommendations or experiences...

Sorry to hijack this thread but thought it would be better than starting Another Thread about tyres and what I need... There is so many...

Gemster...
            YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
            And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
            ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• Nab
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Perth

Originally posted by gemster View Post
              Seems you know your tyres old jack, so I thought I would ask some silly Questions, im running BFG KO'2 at the moment and love them but I need something a little cheaper in 265/70/16... Most of my driving is on Bitumen with 30% dirt at the moment... Im wearing out the BFG's too quick using them around a place that loves roundabouts... But I will use them when I get into serious stuff like my annual trip to Cloncurry... I have another set of rims and im looking at something in A/T pattern that would be a good all-round tyre... Im confused with all the Blah Blah from tyre dealers that want to sell me what-ever they need to get rid off... So, im keen to hear of Others recommendations or experiences...

Sorry to hijack this thread but thought it would be better than starting Another Thread about tyres and what I need... There is so many...

Gemster...

I use the Toyo AT2 on my work/touring car. Great on wet/dry bitumin, excellent on gravel, rock and sand, not sure about mud but assume they will be crap. No chipping or cracking. So far done 36,000km, I rotate all 5 tyres every 10,000km, the tyre that has been on all those KM (about to be changed to the spare) has approx 8-9mm tread left (others are about 10-11mm). Tread depth at new is 12.7mm so approx 1/3 worn in 40,000km.
              SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
              NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Hi Gemster,

Since you are only wanting a tyre for bitumen and good dirt then there are plenty to choose from. A mild AT tread pattern like Bridgestone D697, Toyo APAT2, Hankook ATM RF10, Pirelli ATR, the list is endless, you can get these for around $200 to $250 a tyre and when on promo buy 3 and get the 4th free. You have a choice of passenger construction, light truck 8ply and Light truck 10ply.

Sub $200 a tyre, Achilles seem to have the best reputation for a cheap tyre. However if a $150 tyre only last 30,000kms or has woefull wet weather performance then it will cost you more in the long run.

Online sales like Jax tyres, Tyrolla and Tyresales are a good place to look as you get to compare all brands of tyre's. Once you know what you want then it is easy to ring around the local shops and see if they will price match.

Pirelli ATR $187 ea, bargain!
                Buy 265-70-r16 Tyres Online, Save up to 50%! Tyroola provides âś“ Warranty âś“ Fast delivery on largest selection of Tyres Online. Shop Now.

OJ.
                Last edited by old Jack; 12-05-19, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• gemster
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Gold Coast

Nab, I was thinking the Toyo's, but the price is up there and for around $20 extra per tyre I could get BFG Ko'2....

Old Jack that's the info im after, lots of food for thought there and thank you... I have purchased from Tyrolla before and found their prices are excellent with only 1 day delivery after payment....
                  Thanks for the reply and good advice fellas...
                  Gemster...
                  YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...

Comment

• dean
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by DaKaptin View Post
                    Yes OJ.

These tyres seem to bow out rather more even at 30psi then im used to. Maybe something to do with their life with the previous owners?

I also came accross these: Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP. They come in LT spec and are signif. Cheaper than the coopers. They also seem to have a slightly more aggressive tread on them...
                    These tyres look excellent. In your size they are a 10PR E load tyre so are as strong as you'll get. Those others are a "Light" LT6PR C load and while more than adequate, stronger is going to be better.
                    A lot of people will compare brands but it's the tyre carcass, pressures, speed, vehicle weight etc. which are far more important than a big marketing budget.
                    Compare specs and pick one, that in your opinion looks good.
                    Dean
                    NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• dean
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2007

Nab, I was thinking the Toyo's, but the price is up there and for around $20 extra per tyre I could get BFG Ko'2....

Old Jack that's the info im after, lots of food for thought there and thank you... I have purchased from Tyrolla before and found their prices are excellent with only 1 day delivery after payment....
                      Thanks for the reply and good advice fellas...
                      Gemster...
                      Wow not much difference in price now. From memory in 265/70/16 the difference was about $80.
                      I've always used BFG's as they are the best but couldn't source them last time I purchased tyres. I purchased Toyo Opat's and have been excellent over thousands of outback k's.
                      Dean
                      NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• DaKaptin
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Brisbane, Qld

I just also read they are 2ply only where the coopers are 3 ply. Also apparently DCs are owned by coopers anyway! Even made in the same factory??

Comment

• Nab
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2012
                          • Perth

Wow, when I bought mine the BFG were about $80 more per tyre so $400 for the set, I couldn’t justify it. Mine are 265/65/17 though...

I always buy from my local guy I have been using for almost 20years, not always the cheapest but within $10-15/tyre but great service and the occasional free puncture repair!
                          SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                          NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• DaKaptin
                            • Mar 2012
                            • Brisbane, Qld

Gemster...
                            Pirelli ATRs are fantastic for $187 a pop!!! Gemster i can vouch for those.

Comment

• gemster
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Gold Coast

Thanks for the replies....

Im seriously leaning toward the Pirelli ATRs... Im not a budget tyre buyer, but these are hard to pass up..... With lots of good reports around and a very good price, I think that will be my choice ....
                              If anyone wants to buy BFG KO2's, Tyroola has them in 265/70/16 for $249ea... I have never seen them at that price before... They were $300+ several weeks ago at the same place when I started looking...

Gemster...

Comment

• DaKaptin
                                • Mar 2012
                                • Brisbane, Qld

Update:

I finally got myself a pair of boots.

Got me the STMAXX. Totally pleased with em so far. Look great.

Only gone like 20kms but noise is similar to the old/used hankooks except their noise went away above 90km/hr. Mrs hasnt said anything yet so im assuming she didny notice!

I also strongly considered:

Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 (no mileage warranty for same price)

Dick cepek trail country exp (softer sidewalls?) but much cheaper at $330ea

Goodyear wrangler duratracs looked really good because of their greater amount of siping in the tyres and mountain snowflake rating. But many have accouted for their sidewalls being prone to injury...

The Coopers in this size are 809mm tall over the standard 775mm. There is not much difference to 275/70r17 @ 814mm.

For what its worth i think there is no point going up to the slightly bigger tyre here with rubbing already borderline on my car (not yet rubbed) on standard height.

Thanks all for the discussions.
                                Last edited by DaKaptin; 07-09-19, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X