• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darwiniandude
    Valued Member
    • May 2008
    • Adelaide

Jaycar/Electronics Australia Dual Battery Controller

I just found this. Built it years ago, but didn't wire the main leads to the PCBs or put the two IC's in the sockets for some reason, so haven't tried it.

Are these any good? Or not worth bothering with?

Adelaide
    2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Darwiniandude View Post
    I just found this. Built it years ago, but didn't wire the main leads to the PCBs or put the two IC's in the sockets for some reason, so haven't tried it.

Are these any good? Or not worth bothering with?

That's what I've had under my bonnet for about 8 years.

Two issues that I have:
    1. if it gets too hot it shuts down and stops charging the second battery
    2. the FETs work as a diode in the opposite direction, so when the +ve terminal of the starting battery contacts the chassis / ground, the aux battery discharges through the controller and blows the FETs. I've had to replace them twice.

Concept wise, I think it's a good design. But I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• psproule
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Googong, NSW

Given that it has the EA logo on it I'd suggest the design is approaching 15+ years as Electronics Australia magazine when out of business back then.

Pat
      2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
      2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X