• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Muzza
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Nsw

Power draw when not in use

Has anyone measured the power draw when the vehicle is not in use, I’m having a issue of my N70 going flat after 1 week, and checked today my draw is 560-700mA ( constant changing) no wonder my battery was flat after 8 days of no use.
    Just wanting to know is this normal, problem has only popped up since installed lock up mate
    Muzza
    2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
    2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
    2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

From this post. https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...&postcount=453

Incidentally, the latest version is soon to be released with a number of improvements. If you have something you 'don't like', there's a good chance it's been fixed in the latest software version.
    It now includes an ultra-low power standby mode. It will draw up to 75% less power than typical OBD2 readers when the car is off. (now down to just 13mA). Also allows you to choose (adjust) the default 40degC auto-mate activation temperature. This was in response to a customers car that preferring a hotter oil to work smoothly
    (+50degC).

Comment

• Muzza
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Nsw

Sounds like auto mate in standby is drawing my power, if I disconnect it from the OBD plug it should solve my problem, as most of the time the Paj sits around and does short trips, I will just reconnect for trips
      Muzza
      2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.

LH Torana

Comment

• drgtr
        • Sep 2019
        • Rosemeadow

I have the same issue.
        I have the obd2 plugged in to run torque pro and it goes flat over night!
        Even with a new battery.

What I noticed is the pajero OBd2 stays on all the time. My last two Honda and the prado. The Obd2 plug actually goes off. No blinking lights when I turn off the car.

I have given up even on 3rd supposedly less power consuming obd2 adaptor. I just dont have it plugged in anymore

Comment

• Pwoffey
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Adelaide

I think a "normal" current drain on a car battery (when the car is completely shut down) is of the order of 30-50mA. I haven't done a parasitic drain test on my battery for a long while, but I have a Scangauge and a LockUp Mate both permanently plugged into my OBD2 port and have had no battery problems with leaving the Paj unattended for a week or two at a time. From what is implied in MM4x4 posts, the battery drain from the current LockUp Mate should be very tiny (and the software upgrade will make it even tinier). That doesn't sound like LUM should be causing a 560-700mA draw, which is relatively huge. I'd wait for Marshall perhaps to comment. I know nothing about Torque Pro or the OBD senders that might be used with it.
          BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Mike DiD
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007

I've seen some OBD Adapters that have a switch on them, so you can turn off ALL power drain.
            Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

I leave Auto Mate connected all the time and the car can sit unused for several days. No issues with power at all.
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Muzza
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Nsw

I removed auto mate and still have the power drain plus all other fitted devices, still have a power drain, it’s hard to measure as it changes, and slowly reduces as time goes by, I have fitted a new battery and measuring voltage loss from fully charged over the next few days, to determine my next step
                Muzza

LH Torana

Comment

• 2bad4u
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Perth, Western Australia

I gave up in the end and just have to live with the fact that I can't let the car sit for more than a week and I need a new battery every couple of years.

I have a similar sort of drain and that is with no Automate / OBD / etc., the car is stock standard and the only extras are the dual battery isolator and brake controller. I did suspect that the brake controller was the cause of excessive drain but never actually checked it.

However........ now that this post has come up it may be time for me to check again as I have just installed a new brake controller and converted back to a DC-DC from a VSR.
                  Warren
                  2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
                  2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• Muzza
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Nsw

I reconnected everything, except the Mitsubishi power feed to the electric brake controller, and I assume rear controller ECU, ( genuine Mitsubishi harness) and voltage has stopped dropping,
                    Will be doing a few more tests, tomorrow just to confirm.
                    Muzza

LH Torana

Comment

• doctorchopper
                      • Jan 2018
                      • dublin

A lot of times it can be down to a failed diode pack in the alternator. There is. few youtube videos on how to test the alternator. You can also disconnect the large output lead from the alternator and then test voltage draw

Comment

• Techedz
                        • Aug 2019
                        • South Canberra

obd power drain

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
                        I've seen some OBD Adapters that have a switch on them, so you can turn off ALL power drain.
                        These OBD readers are sold here for $47 with a 100% 1 year if you're not happy and only drain 45 ma if left plugged in. They claim to be fast and show that the inside of many of the cheap eBay OBD readers are missing parts, are slow, lose data and are not compatible with all vehicles.

Genuine ELM327 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Scanner will Scan/Read OBDII, OBD2 data. Using ELM Electronics Firmware, it's #1 best diagnostic tool on the market.

Also, there is a diagram here that shows how to rewire the obd port so it's only powered with the ignition on.
                        NW 2012 Pajero Exceed 3.2 Diesel, 18" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs offroad / Coopers Discoverers onroad; 66 Mustang Convertible; Suzuki M109R 1800, DR650 Dirt bike.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X