• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grumpian
    • Jan 2018
    • Wimmera

Refurbished Fridge

Another fridge purchase decision post.

Has anyone had an experience with buying a refurbished Dometic fridge from their online store? They're sold as used stock as they have been sent back to the manufacturer for whatever reason, scrubbed up, fixed and put into the refurb store. With only a 14 day warranty and Dometic's self proclaimed focus on customer satisfaction, I'm considering taking the chance being that there is around $300-$400 to be saved on a new unit.

I'm looking for something around 40l since it will be used mainly for weekend trips of just myself and some trips with the rest of the family totalling 4 people. I'm not running dual batteries which shouldn't be a problem as I usually travel each day either from camp to camp, or out to locations from a base camp.

My other consideration is the Ridge Ryder which are on special every other weekend at my local Supercheap Auto store.

You can probably guess my budget is around $600 as I can't justify spending double that for a fridge that will spending 70% of the year switched off in the shed.
    Silver 2010 NT Pajero RX 3.2L Auto
    Maxxis RAZR AT's on factory alloy 18" rims. Boo's underbody protection 3 piece, Boos rear bumper guard. GME UHF radio, IronMan 2m awning. Sony Android Auto headunit and upgraded speakers. Diff Breathers. Rola Roof Platform. TJM Airtek Snorkel, Powdercoated TJM Bar with Stedi 8.5" Driving Lights. Secondary battery and CTek charger in 3rd row seat well with anderson plug on rear bumper for solar input.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Waco 40litre new with transit cover from Annaconda $600 with full warranty, must be other places around with similar price or better, also full warranty!
    Whether you're an off-road adventurer, a barbecue fanatic or both, find the right portable fridge. Shop camping fridges & car fridges online at Anaconda.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Grumpian
      • Jan 2018
      • Wimmera

Thanks Old Jack. I've also taken them into consideration and was wondering if the efficiency of the newer compressor would be beneficial to me with my single battery setup.
      Maxxis RAZR AT's on factory alloy 18" rims. Boo's underbody protection 3 piece, Boos rear bumper guard. GME UHF radio, IronMan 2m awning. Sony Android Auto headunit and upgraded speakers. Diff Breathers. Rola Roof Platform. TJM Airtek Snorkel, Powdercoated TJM Bar with Stedi 8.5" Driving Lights. Secondary battery and CTek charger in 3rd row seat well with anderson plug on rear bumper for solar input.

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

The CFX50 is remarkably efficient. Far better than my 40L engel and a little better than my mates 52L bushman. I believe this is due to the variable speed compressor. Not sure if you are looking at a cfx40, nor whether its efficiency is up with the cfx50. The CF range is nowhere as efficient as the CFX.

Saving $400 and only coming with a 14 day warranty, I would walk away. Not worth the risk IMO.

On another note, you will be surprised how easy it is to fill a 40L fridge, particularly a waeco with its almost useless dairy section. You can fan mod it like I do to all my fridges to make it usable though. With a family of 4, I'd be looking at a 50L minimum. I can fill my 40L engel for just myself for 3 days away pretty easy.
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
          The CFX50 is remarkably efficient. Far better than my 40L engel and a little better than my mates 52L bushman. I believe this is due to the variable speed compressor. Not sure if you are looking at a cfx40, nor whether its efficiency is up with the cfx50. The CF range is nowhere as efficient as the CFX.

Saving $400 and only coming with a 14 day warranty, I would walk away. Not worth the risk IMO.

On another note, you will be surprised how easy it is to fill a 40L fridge, particularly a waeco with its almost useless dairy section. You can fan mod it like I do to all my fridges to make it usable though. With a family of 4, I'd be looking at a 50L minimum. I can fill my 40L engel for just myself for 3 days away pretty easy.

As Sharkcaver says...40 litre will fill instantly. I now have an 80 litre dual zone evakool traveller plus my 40 litre. The 40 engel I use as a freezer. Get the 50CFX...fULL WARRANTY. TRYING TO SAVE A FEW DOLLARS WILL END IN TEARS...
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• geopaj
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Adelaide

With a family of 4, I'd be looking at a 50L minimum. I can fill my 40L engel for just myself for 3 days away pretty easy.
            It depends on how and what you pack. We are a family of 4 and regularly get 2-3 weeks worth of supplies in our 50L Evakool (fibreglass one). Lots of stuff don’t need to be refrigerated (veggies, dry pasta & rice, etc).
            Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• stumagoo
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • Perth WA S.O.R

If you are stuck with a budget and have to look at something other than big name brands - I bought my rough country unit from autobahn - they have it on special every other month and it is a 60l for $600 - it has take a huge hammering in the last 6 months and has not missed a beat.
              1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
              *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
              1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• sharkcaver
                • May 2009
                • Perth

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                It depends on how and what you pack.
                Agreed. But if you start to pack a few luxury items, then some beer for dad, some softies for the kids and maybe a bottle of vino for the mrs, half your capacity is gone right there.

I'm not saying it cant be done, but it takes careful management, something a bigger fridge helps to alleviate.

Then there is the dairy section, that is pretty useless unless you force cold air into it (my fan mod mentioned above), and consumes a lot of fridge space. There is not a lot of difference between an 40L engel a 50L waeco in that case.

Geopaj I note you have a 50L unit, just as I was recommending. Trying to pack 2-3 weeks worth of supplies for 4 into a 40L isn't impossible, it needs careful management. Even in a 50L unit, you're doing well. I believe the OP was talking weekenders though.

Last month I spent a week away with two people. The fridge was pretty full and I had no roast in that

Things like pre cut salad bags, a couple of dips and a couple of containers of wet salads along with the meat supply for a week consumes a lot of space. Then there is a need for dad's beer....haha.

Here is a good tip for the OP. Try to find a cardboard box the aprox internal dimension of the 40L seconds waeco he is looking at. Then think about what you would take for a weekend for a family of 4 and see if you can get the jigsaw puzzle of pieces to fit.
                MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Agreed. But if you start to pack a few essential items, like beer .. and … vino, half your capacity is gone right there.
                  fikst.

If Dometic won't offer a full 12 month warranty walk away. They have no faith in their product - why would you?

On the subject of capacity, I have a 39 litre fridge, and can get a couple weeks of essentials in there - and my essentials typically include two bottles of wine (current, and next) and a selection of beer and Guinness cans. The secret is to fill the fridge with stuff that needs to be refrigerated, and not air. Just about everything I take gets removed from the supermarket packaging, and re-packed into zip-lock bags. In addition to not wasting space on air, most packs end up slightly malleable, which makes it easier to squeeze more in. And I get to play regular games of Tetris, every meal time.

When this one dies, I probably will get larger - depending on what I can make fit in the storage system. But bigger may only encourage me to take more, and I travel too heavy as it is.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• sharkcaver
                    • May 2009
                    • Perth

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                    On the subject of capacity, I have a 39 litre fridge, and can get a couple weeks of essentials in there - and my essentials typically include two bottles of wine (current, and next) and a selection of beer and Guinness cans.
                    Once you get used to goon in cardboard, you"ll never go back - no fridge required either

My Journeys

Comment

• rykiel575
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Sydney

They say 14 days but you could argue it if it failed within a year or two with the competition and consumer laws.

Would take your time and your patience though.
                      2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• Grumpian
                        • Jan 2018
                        • Wimmera

First up, thanks for the replies. Some funny buggers on here.

Full disclosure. Family member has lent me their 40l fridge for previous weekends away and it's been more than enough for myself and three others. I can see the benefits of considering something larger for longer trips and as Tetris can get old after a while.

Given me a few things to consider.

What was that saying? A poor man buys twice. Might have to clear the moths out.

Comment

• littleriver
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • Queensland

Originally posted by Grumpian View Post
                          First up, thanks for the replies. Some funny buggers on here.

Full disclosure. Family member has lent me their 40l fridge for previous weekends away and it's been more than enough for myself and three others. I can see the benefits of considering something larger for longer trips and as Tetris can get old after a while.

Given me a few things to consider.

What was that saying? A poor man buys twice. Might have to clear the moths out.

Well said ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X