• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flyinwall
    • Jan 2012
    • Tewantin

1999 PA Challenger

I thought it was time for me to start a thread about my challenger as i am about to go to the Cape in it in late August

here it is the day i got it behind the terrano that it replaced

When i purchased it i had to take it back to the dealer as they claimed it was roadworthy but i dont know how it passed as the exhaust flex joint had rusted in half and there was a bad vibration in it at over 80km/h (could tell it was there when i took it for a test drive as i wasnt able to take it out of town to give it a good run), it turned out to be an automatic tailshaft instead of the manual one (auto is 30mm shorter than manual i dont know how long the previous owner drove it with the wrong driveshaft in it ), but the vibrations caused the connector between the gearbox and transfer to snap in half, so back to the dealer on the back of a tilt tray and they claimed it was going to cost a couple of thousand $$$ to fix it, so i told them to pay for a new gearbox and i would organise to get it fitted so they gave me $700 to get a gearbox and arranged to get the car back to my mates mechanic workshop (didnt tell the dealer he was my mate...), got a gearbox for $350 and fitted it myself and a brand new tailshaft custom made ($220) and i haven't had any problems with it since.

I was looking at doing a 2" lift and was researching springs for a while and i asked a spring supplier about triton springs and he told me they were the same as a challenger, so out to the wreckers i go and i pick up a set of near new springs of a wrecked triton ($170 for the pair) and when i get home and take the spring out of the challenger i find out that they are completely different.
    So i decided to make a custom mix pack and see how they go, so i replace a couple of leaves from the challenger pack with corresponding leaves from the triton pack and fit them back into the car and have a look at the difference and to my surprise i had given it a 2" lift

height with original springs

height with "new" springs

then i got some 31's i had fitted to some rims i have kept from my old toyota surf (only cause i liked the look of them)

need better shocks

i also transfered my headlight wiring upgrade over from my terrano to the challenger (along with the 90/130watt bulbs)

low beam

high beam

with 22" LED light bar

Since i didnt have a place to mount my fishing rod holder (no bullbar at this stage) i made a custom mount inside the challenger

you can just see it on the roof with the LED strip rear inside light zip tied to it

and just recently i have replaced all worn out front suspension bushes and new disk rotors all round with new pads (of course)

and today i got myself a bullbar from a 1997 triton and bolted it up (after some minor modifications)

haven't wired in the Rallye 4000's yet

I have to take the bullbar back off soon and give it a repaint and fit the 12000lb winch in it (i know 12000lb is overkill but its better to have more than enough than not enough)
    Last edited by flyinwall; 01-04-14, 10:02 PM.
  • Papaskidz
    • Jun 2009
    • Eastside, Hobart Tas

nice challenger
    If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

• bug276
      • May 2013
      • Brisbane

Looks good, I have also been looking at the 2" lift for 1999 PA, although I think I'm go down the road of the OME's and have ARB do it for me, I don't feel that confident doing that job myself, and I lack the jack and stands for it.
      I'll be keen to see the winch fitment, I have a TJM bar on mine, but as far as I know it's not winch compatible. 😣
      Wow that light bar kicks out some light, I'll keep an eye out for price specials on them.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X