• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shannan-73
    • Apr 2018
    • Sydney NSW

Help RE DPF Burn

Hi All,
    I have an NS Paj and have just had second failure going into limp mode while towing in 18mnths. Last time had full system clean with cat and DPF ultrasonic cleaned, both air intakes and egr cleaned and new MAF sensor and have also installed a Munji EGR delete.
    Am using correct oil and only use BP and Caltex diesel if I have too.

While towing I always run in 4th gear as to my understanding this puts less strain on the gearbox.

Question is, I have just read somewhere here on another post that the DPF will only do a burn off when transmission is in D? Is this correct?
    To my understanding you must be travelling at >80km/h and be over 2K rpm.
    Does anyone have any further information of confirmation of this?
    This latest failure occurred going into burn off just at the base of a long incline, so would being in Drive still enable the burn ?
    Have little to no trust in this vehicle atm and the cost going up to a NT-NW does seem worth it

Thanks in advance
  • Boo Boo
    • Aug 2012
    • Kilsyth

Inmy 2008 MS Pajero I have completed many burns with city driving so i dont think it has to be above 80ks but this will allow it to happen quicker.
    Maybe you need to do a DPF deliete and join the pressure sensor hoses together does not need a remap the computer thinks the DPF is still there but it cannot get blocked.
    2008 NS DID, Smart bar and warn winch, Boos Bash plates, ex nsw police car, Safair snorkel and 2 inch OME lift.

Comment

• rgrubby
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2018
      • Wellington - NZ

Is it the DPF causing limp mode this time? Is the DPF light on? Do you have any other dash warning lights on? Do you have something to read error codes?
      My NS will initiate a burn around town, so definitely not 80km/h. Not sure what the requirements are for starting a burn but I'm sure I've done them in sport mode and auto.
      2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• robeggy
        • Apr 2008
        • Nelson Bay

Dpf burn

Just completed 10,000 k trip to Ularu towing caravan.
        Towed in 4wd and 4th gear when not in towns etc.
        I can confirm it does the time related burns in 4th gear about every 500 to 600 monitored by Torque app cat temp.
        Rob

Comment

• Merts
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2011
          • Bendigo Vic

I don't have my NS any more, but from memory there is a section in the manual regarding the DPF regens. I reckon there is a minimum speed for it to initiate and continue a regen, but it's less than 80km/hr. When mine started one around town I'd just drive around normally for 10 or 15 minutes and it would do its thing.
          Merts
          Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
          Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Shannan-73
            • Apr 2018
            • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by Boo Boo View Post
            Inmy 2008 MS Pajero I have completed many burns with city driving so i dont think it has to be above 80ks but this will allow it to happen quicker.
            Maybe you need to do a DPF deliete and join the pressure sensor hoses together does not need a remap the computer thinks the DPF is still there but it cannot get blocked.
            Thanks Boo Boo,
            this is something to consider

Comment

• Shannan-73
              • Apr 2018
              • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
              Is it the DPF causing limp mode this time? Is the DPF light on? Do you have any other dash warning lights on? Do you have something to read error codes?
              My NS will initiate a burn around town, so definitely not 80km/h. Not sure what the requirements are for starting a burn but I'm sure I've done them in sport mode and auto.
              Thanks rgrubby,
              Engine light has been coming on and going off whole trip (2300kms), this time engine light was on and DPF Light went on and then went into limp mode.
              NRMA patroller checked error code which was regarding EGR.
              Have an OBD11 reader which I will check codes tonight, the one thing I forgot to take away.

Comment

• Shannan-73
                • Apr 2018
                • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by robeggy View Post
                Just completed 10,000 k trip to Ularu towing caravan.
                Towed in 4wd and 4th gear when not in towns etc.
                I can confirm it does the time related burns in 4th gear about every 500 to 600 monitored by Torque app cat temp.
                Rob
                Thanks robeggy,
                Is that in an NS?
                Have read the NT’s and some NS’s had the upgraded air intakes fitted and a Mitsi remap which changed the burn frequency?

Comment

• Shannan-73
                  • Apr 2018
                  • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by Merts View Post
                  I don't have my NS any more, but from memory there is a section in the manual regarding the DPF regens. I reckon there is a minimum speed for it to initiate and continue a regen, but it's less than 80km/hr. When mine started one around town I'd just drive around normally for 10 or 15 minutes and it would do its thing.
                  Thanks Merts,
                  Seems mine is taking way too long to get to a burn and then has an issue carrying one out under load (I.e caravan in tow)

Comment

• rgrubby
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2018
                    • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by Shannan-73 View Post
                    Thanks Merts,
                    Seems mine is taking way too long to get to a burn and then has an issue carrying one out under load (I.e caravan in tow)
                    I wonder if the temperature sensor used to monitor the burn is playing up. Just throwing ideas out there.
                    2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• hussrum
                      • Aug 2013
                      • brisbane

Dont you need a regene when your car goes into limp mode when it is caused by the dpf.
                      Why did they take them out from 2010 as they are nothing but trouble.
                      there are a accident waiting to happen especially when towing.
                      Thats my 2 bob.

Comment

• robeggy
                        • Apr 2008
                        • Nelson Bay

hi Shannon-73
                        Yes my Pajero is a 2008 NS Auto.
                        99 % of ks are on country roads. Have never seen dpf light come on other than start up.
                        Have Egr block (resistor) and a NT inlet manifold.
                        When driving around town below 80 ks the timed dpf burn comes on for about 25ks.
                        Rob

Comment

• Merts
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2011
                          • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
                          I wonder if the temperature sensor used to monitor the burn is playing up. Just throwing ideas out there.
                          That will definitely cause the sort of symptoms the OP is experiencing. I had one fail completely on mine and it went into limp mode and wouldn't even complete a forced regen hooked up to the machine at the dealer.
                          Merts
                          Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                          Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Shannan-73
                            • Apr 2018
                            • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by robeggy View Post
                            hi Shannon-73
                            Yes my Pajero is a 2008 NS Auto.
                            99 % of ks are on country roads. Have never seen dpf light come on other than start up.
                            Have Egr block (resistor) and a NT inlet manifold.
                            When driving around town below 80 ks the timed dpf burn comes on for about 25ks.
                            Rob
                            Thanks Robeggy,
                            Yes, seems to be an issue do the burns then, need to see if I can check the temp sensors and get remapped to do more frequent burns.
                            Appreciate your info

Comment

• Boo Boo
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Kilsyth

When was the last time you went to mitsubishi because they have done lots of updates to the DPF system over the years, maybe you have missed one of them.
                              2008 NS DID, Smart bar and warn winch, Boos Bash plates, ex nsw police car, Safair snorkel and 2 inch OME lift.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X