X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiderpig
    • Jan 2008

Thanks for that link.

Was just about to install an aftermarket camera that would suit my android head unit but now i will make the existing camera work with it.

Comment

• ticky
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2015
      • Adelaide

I still have my MMCS, Sadly but I'm always interested in reading about changing it.

I recently put a Pioneer headunit in my Wifes Yaris & that came with a camera.
      Wow, is that clear. After seeing tht one I think I might be more interested in how to make an after market camera look OME.

BTW, A Yaris has to be the easiest car to put a stereo into.

Steve
      2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• DavidMaynard100
        • Nov 2019
        • Brisbane

Wiring Diagrams

Hi nj_swb

Thanks for the information, as I'm embarking on a similar project.
        As the wiring diagrams have been blurred by PhotoBucket, I'm wondering if you'd be able to post the original diagrams in another form?
        I'm having difficulty locating the camera video signals on the wiring connector and being able to see the diagram will help.
        I'm using the white and light-green wires but so far no luck with the head unit recognising the signal.

Thanks
        David

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by DavidMaynard100 View Post
          Hi nj_swb

Thanks for the information, as I'm embarking on a similar project.
          As the wiring diagrams have been blurred by PhotoBucket, I'm wondering if you'd be able to post the original diagrams in another form?
          I'm having difficulty locating the camera video signals on the wiring connector and being able to see the diagram will help.
          I'm using the white and light-green wires but so far no luck with the head unit recognising the signal.

Thanks
          David
          Images now hosted on this forum - so people will need to be logged in to see them.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Keithyv
            Valued Member
            • May 2018
            • Perth

At least on my NW, (with just the screen in the rear-view mirror and no MMCS) I picked up the video feed in the right kick panel (next to driver's right foot)

(I think it's D221 - the 18pin connector)
            Yellow is shield, white is signal (composite video)

Looks like it might be the same for MMCS vehicles

Attached Files
            2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
            MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• kanchigo
              • Mar 2020
              • Rockdale, nsw

Hi. Do you have any ideas for micro phone wires and full 4 wires for reverse camera?
              Originally posted by choppa View Post
              I did the same as you Ashley after buying a cheap camera from fleabay for my NS. I mounted mine in the stock position between the rego plate lights .. just had to cut a square hole in the trim for the camera to poke out of - looks OEM

This info by nj swb was incredibly handy.
              Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              Yes, it can be done, and it's not that hard - in hindsight, when you know what to do...

I bought my NT second hand (from a fellow forumite) on a Friday - in Brisbane.

On Monday, while driving back to Adelaide, I decided the MMCS had to go.

Ever the opportunist, I bought an ex-demo unit from another fellow forumite, Extnix. Although it came with an aftermarket camera and all required cables, I decided I would prefer to use the factory camera - if possible.

After pulling apart the dash and extricating the old unit, the connectors on the back of the new unit didn't match the connectors on the wiring diagram I found in the on-line Russian service manuals - see here.

However, the colour-codes of the wires did match, and the modification can be done without cutting a single factory wire.

My new head unit only used two of three multi-pole connectors. The one that wasn't used looked like this:

The pink wire to the camera is the positive power supply - on my NT, it was measuring 6.6V when the camera was active.

The video signal was on white and light green wires - with my el-cheapo multi-meter, measuring AC volts, the measurement went from about .09V with the camera off, to about 0.27V with the camera active.

The other two wires (pink-black and black-yellow) have me bamboozled. They both appear to be earths, they always seemed to have the same voltage (measuring both AC and DC), and the camera would work with either earthed. In the end, I simply earthed them both.

A reversing signal is on the red wire with a green stripe (although it looked more black to me...) Upstream of the diagram I posted above, it comes from an ignition-switched supply, via a fuse and transmission switch - it's essentially a +12V supply that's only on when the ignition is on, and the transmission is in reverse.

So - the Paj provides a +12V source when reverse is selected, but the camera needs +6.6V. So I bought a 6V regulator (LM7806), wired it up and hooked up the camera - no good.

Sleeping on it, I concluded the next step was to up the voltage - Mitsubishi was feeding the camera 6.6V, maybe 6V wasn't enough. I modified the regulator circuit (two extra resistors, but it meant I needed to move everything to a small PCB) and (through trial and error - I was too lazy to look up specs and do the calcs) I produced 7V. (For the record, 3k3R between output and ground terminal, then 120R between ground terminal and vehicle ground.) This worked fine without load, but dropped to 5V under load, which caused the regulator to get very hot. Surprisingly, the camera was working and producing video, but the heat was disturbing. I measured the camera load at about 80mA, which shouldn't stress a regulator rated for 1A. I even considered adding a heatsink, but calculated heat dissipation was well within published specs.

After more thought, I decided to stop being lazy, and install a 100uF capacitor on the regulator input, as recommended in Fairchild's data sheet. Worked out how to add it to my cut-down piece of PCB, and gave it a test. All good. Stable 7V, and cool regulator.

Even the video connection was quick & easy (aka cheap & nasty). I had a damaged RCA cable that I didn't see myself ever using again, so I chopped the yellow lead off, and stripped the end. It's not even coax, but I twisted and tinned the ends, then poked them into the factory sockects on the white ("signal") and green ("shield") wires. By deliberately selecting the reversing camera input on the new headunit, I could see the picture on the camera - a fraction noisier than I remember the MMCS picture, but I'll live with it.

The last step was to find a signal to tell the new head unit that the camera was required. Theoretically, the new head unit was supposed to receive an appropriate signal via canbus, but (as Extnix had warned me) this didn't work. I already had +12V on my PCB whenever I wanted the camera, so I added another wire to feed that signal into the head unit. Problem solvered!

For the record, the factory multi-pole connector comes apart, so individual wires can be removed. Unfortunately, all the wires come loose at once, so I am very pleased that I thought to take multiple photos before I started. Ultimately, I removed the wires I wanted, then simply poked new wires into the individual sockets. Theoretically, I can restore the connector to the factory configuration at any stage - but I really don't know why I bothered. It would be almost as easy to simply poke wires into the relevant parts of the factory socket, and probably more reliable to simply cut the factory harness and solder new wires as required.

Anyway, it's done. I'm using the factory camera with an aftermarket head unit, and didn't cut a single factory wire.

Comment

• outbakjak
                • Jul 2021
                • Australia

Old post, I just ordered one of these to try...... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272794314403

Comment

• Keithyv
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2018
                  • Perth

^ Yeah I ordered something similar over a year ago and it's still sitting in my parts drawer

Not even got around to getting a better (12V) camera yet..

Maybe during Xmas holidays that can be a project for me..

Let us know how you get on - should work fine I reckon..
                  2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                  MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Craig Best
                    • Feb 2023
                    • QLD Sunshine Coast

I'm going through the same thing right now with my 2013 NW GLX-R which has the reverse camera monitor in the rear view mirror.
                    Trying to find the best solution to use the factory camera on my new Joying HU.
                    Just finding as many resources as possible for an auto electrician friend to work this out.

Was told by Joying this this lead should do the job but I don't know, if it was that easy why not include it in pack?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X