• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

Spacers

I have been thinking about lift spacers and ADR allowing for a max of 50mm suspension lift modification. Since I have little common sense in everything physics, will I get an overall 50mm lift when using 50mm spacers for both front and rear? Cheers.
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

The devil is in the detail and the regulations must be read in their entirety so you understand that there are limitations.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• dreamerman
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2009
      • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      The devil is in the detail and the regulations must be read in their entirety so you understand that there are limitations.
      I think I got it, 50mm limit applies to the entire lift and not just suspension related.

VSB-14 clause 4-11 says:
      Raising the height of the vehicle may be performed without certification providing the overall
      increase in vehicle height is not more than 50mm. This may be achieved as a single
      modification such as the installation of a 50mm lift kit, or by a combination of smaller lifts as
      described below:
       the fitting of body blocks or lift kits (50mm maximum if no other modifications resulting
      in a change of vehicle height are performed);
       suspension modification, (50mm maximum if no other modifications resulting in a
      change of vehicle height are performed);
       changes to tyre size (maximum change in tyre size diameter of 50mm); or
       a combination of the above that results in a change of vehicle height not exceeding
      50mm
      03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

With your "lift spacers" question, we need to be sure what you mean by "spacer".

You have a Pajero, which is monocoque design, without a separate chassis. Where the VSB refers to "body blocks", that is traditionally interpreted to be spacers between chassis and body, the classic "body lift". Such a body lift on a Gen 3 / 4 Pajero is a big job, because the body shell needs to be spaced from the suspension sub-frames. It can be done, but I'm not aware if anybody has had that engineered in Australia.

In the context of a "suspension lift", "spacers" are inserted above or below the spring, rather than replace the spring with one that is longer and/or stiffer. I'm not sure that spring spacers are technically legal at the moment, but happy to be educated.

With a live axle 4wd, there is generally a 1:1 relationship between spacer thickness and resulting lift, so yes, a 50mm spacer will give a 50mm lift.

With independent suspension, because the suspension arm is connected to the chassis / body at one end and "swings" at the other, there is a "leverage" effect - moving the wheel 50mm vertically produces less movement closer to the pivot point. On the Pajero independent rear end, the spring is approximately 40% of the way from the pivot to the wheel, so a 50mm lift would need a 20mm spacer - if a spacer is legal?

Clear as mud?
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• dreamerman
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2009
          • Sydney

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          Clear as mud?
          Thanks for trying to explain. I have to read it a few times and read some more just to get a faint idea.
          Easier for me to read the Accounting Standards or Tax Ruling than this

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Because you are in NSW the the following document should be your reference.
            Note this is only for NSW registered vehicles!

Changes is overall ride height without an engineers testing and certification;

Up to 50mm ride height increase by a suspension by changing the springs as long as 2/3s of the original suspension droop travel is maintained. Maintaining droop travel is critical because if it is insufficient then you get unnecessary activation of your traction and stability control systems, and the steering, braking and overall handling of the vehicle. Removal of droop stops is not allowed. On a Gen 4 Pajero this limits you to about 30-40mm front ride height increase and 40-50mm rear ride height increase from the RVCS Unladen Ride Height specifications of 503mm front and 533mm rear, when measured in a vertical line from the centre of the wheel hub to under the wheel arch.

Up to 50mm increase in the overall tyre and wheel combined diameter is also allowed which results in up to a 25mm increase in ride height. As long as the tyres do not rub on any part of the body, suspension or steering components during the complete suspension travel at all steering angles. On a Gen 4 Pajero you are limited to about a 30mm increase in tyre diameter. Most common mod is going up a sidewall profile and staying with the standard width, so this results in a 26.5mm increase in overall diameter and 13.25mm increase in ride height.

So you can increase the overall ride height using a combination of suspension and tyre diameter increases up to 75mm using the above criteria.

You need to be careful that lifting too high puts extra strain on your driveshafts and if yo have issues then you will not be covered by factory warranty. So you really need to ask yourself the reason for the modifications and are you prepared to take the risks.

Lift a vehicle and you increase fuel consumption.
            Increase the tyre diameter and you increase your fuel consumption as well as have a negative effect on the automatics torque convertor lockup.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• dreamerman
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2009
              • Sydney

Thanks OJ, your post is really clear!

Comment

• dreamerman
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2009
                • Sydney

I am still thinking of lift spacers as a temporary means until I am ready to invest in proper lift kit. Maybe a 50mm lift is too much or dangerous with spacers but what about 40mm overall lift on stock springs, wheels and tyres? In your view is it safe to do so?

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
                  I am still thinking of lift spacers as a temporary means until I am ready to invest in proper lift kit. Maybe a 50mm lift is too much or dangerous with spacers but what about 40mm overall lift on stock springs, wheels and tyres? In your view is it safe to do so?

Why would you bother? If your going to do it...do it properly. Get a suspension upgrade that suits your needs and if you want to waste a few dollars..go up a size on tyres. Unless doing a fair bit of offroad or towing a 50mm lift is hardly worth it. I,d stay away from spacers..absolutely no need for them and the legalities are as clear as mud. Invest your money wisely if you want a lift...get a good suspension one..springs and shockies.

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X