• Show
Clear All
  • jared01
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

My turn for centre difflock flashing orange

Hello,

I have NW Pajero with 92000Kms on it.

Approximately every 4 weeks we tow our caravan and I switch to 4H so that part of the super select gets used.

Today we drove on the beach for about 15 minutes in 4HLC without any issues. Left the beach and drove on dirt roads for about another 15 minutes and then I changed it back to 4H whilst driving about 30Km/h (I forgot to stop and put it in neutral, my bad!).

All 4 green wheel lights and orange centre diff light started flashing so I then stopped and put it into neutral without any change to the light sequence and gave it another 1 minute or so and then turned the car off. When the car is switched back on, the orange centre difflock light flashes (none of the other wheel lights flash/are illuminated.

Couldnt stop it from flashing after turning the engine off and changing from 4H<>4HLC<>4H<>2H etc.

Later I was able to put the selector in 4LLc and start the car and it operated in that mode without issue and light sequence was as expected, I then tried putting it back into 4HLC and I forget it was OK or if the centre diff light started flashing orange again (I now cannot do this anymore, just flashing orange centre diff light, straight from startup).

I did a little research when returning home and pulled out the airbox and inspected the rubber hosing to/from the solenoids and they seem OK. I then pulled the bash plates off and checked the rubber hosing underneath and cannot find any issues. Checked the front diff actuator rod (pulled the rubber boot off) and it looked clean and had nice grease on it.

Now I get the centre diff light flashing orange no matter what mode the super select is in after starting/stopping the car.

Thinking about changing the solenoids or finding out how to test them. I believe the yellow dot one should click when it has power applied to it?

Just after some initial things that I should check if I can.

Hoping to check if the solenoid click when ignition is turned on and go from there
    2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

I don't think your problem is the solenoids - I think it's a problem with switches on your transfer case.

There is a single motor that drives the mode selector system inside the transfer case, which uses a series of switches to know when it's in the right mode.

2H is at one end of the motor's travel, 4LLc is at the other end. Select either of these modes with everything off, and the transfer motor will drive all the way to the right end - presuming the motor drive is OK, you'll end up with the right mode, whether or not the switches are happy and the lights flash.

You selected 4LLc with the engine off, and the transfer system found it OK.

When moving from 4LLc to 4HLc, the motor drives and looks for a particular pattern of switches on the transfer case. If it doesn't see the correct pattern, flashing lights are the result.

Try selecting 2H with everything off, then start the engine and see what happens.

If you get 2H OK, try 4H. If that works, go back & forward between 2H & 4H a few times. BTW, you can do this on the move, up to 100km/h, no problems. It's only in & out of 4LLc that requires stop & neutral.

If 2H / 4H are working OK, introduce 4HLc into the mix - again, changing on the move is OK (not on bitumen), but I guess there's no reason you can't do all this sitting in your driveway. If you get 4HLc OK, try 4LLc again - but I'm guessing you won't get this far.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• jared01
      • Dec 2016
      • Sydney

Thanks for the reply.

I am going to have a look at a few things today.

Perhaps you are correct.

I get flashing centre diff orange light before actually starting the engine in all modes.

I will try to see if I can check the connections of the switches toi
      2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel

Comment

• Seigried
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2016
        • brisbane

On my NS the centre diff light flashes for a few seconds after all of the other dashlights have gone through their startup test sequence. Typically it turns of after my oil light. Maybe 8 seconds total. Certainly not a long time.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• jared01
          • Dec 2016
          • Sydney

I had no luck in resolving the issue.

I do not think it should be related to the solenoids as the all the lights light up as per normal and then go out but only the orange centre diff light flashes. This is with and without starting the car, so sounds like an electrical or sensor issue.

I now also have the 2 orange car symbol lights solid on (the one with trails behind it and the other without) which I believe is to do with ASC. I had not touched the battery but tried disconnecting it for about 10mins, reconnecting it and going on a good drive with plenty of straight roads over 100km/h and they are still light up. Hoping it is related to the overall problem.

I will ring my local Mitsubishi dealer and get them to have a look in a few days time and report back.

Comment

• Woollybutt
            • Apr 2017
            • Katherine NT

Originally posted by jared01 View Post
            I had no luck in resolving the issue.

I do not think it should be related to the solenoids as the all the lights light up as per normal and then go out but only the orange centre diff light flashes. This is with and without starting the car, so sounds like an electrical or sensor issue.

I now also have the 2 orange car symbol lights solid on (the one with trails behind it and the other without) which I believe is to do with ASC. I had not touched the battery but tried disconnecting it for about 10mins, reconnecting it and going on a good drive with plenty of straight roads over 100km/h and they are still light up. Hoping it is related to the overall problem.

I will ring my local Mitsubishi dealer and get them to have a look in a few days time and report back.

Perhaps I am thinking too simply here, but try stopping with engine running and changing into reverse, then foot off brake. Then into drive again, foot off brake so you creep. This is often what is required in mine to change in and out of all modes. The basic goal is to take load off of the gearing so whatever is actuating can do so.
            2013 NW VRX...some things have been added

Comment

• GHendo
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Northern NSW

My money is on the switches on top of the transfer box, as mentioned by “nj_swb” above. I had a similar problem a few years ago, and that was the cause. MM will change all 5 switches and charge you around $1,000 or more even if it is just one switch – they do a “blanket” fix.

Cheers

Geoff
              03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• jared01
                • Dec 2016
                • Sydney

I came across this previous thread too which I will inform Mitsubishi about as they have been investigating today but have not found the issue yet.

Comment

• jared01
                  • Dec 2016
                  • Sydney

Got the car back from Mitsubishi with a diagnosis but no resolution.

Apparently they spent a number of hours troubleshooting but only charged me for 2 hours but that is still $286.

Paperwork says;

C1456-Transfer position detection switch syst
                  75-Transfer switch defect
                  Carried out diagnosis checked DTC using MUT11, found DTC 1546 (looks like a typo) and
                  75, followed diagnosis procedure. Checked 4WD wiring on top of
                  transmission, checked switch for any damage or lose of contact,
                  All okay, carried out actuator test for all 4wd range,
                  Requires replacement of shift actuator (first step of diagnosis
                  May need further inspection)

Recommendations
                  Shift actuator #MR446665 $1163 part only
                  Ring #MR367036 $3 part only

They said it would be 5-6 hours labour but could be less if the transfer case can be removed without removing the transmission (If I understood correctly).

They said they performed the shift actuator test with the MUT11 and it sounded like it was not engaging/moving correctly. They also compared it with another Pajero they had in the workshop.

I wonder if it could actually be a problem with the transfer switches instead of the actuator. I would hate to get it replaced to find that it is not the problem and I am then back at square 1.

- I wonder if I can test some of the switches myself. It looks like I can test the continuity of the switches by just unplugging them and moving the 4WD selector into the different modes (as per the last post here: https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...d.php?p=385742)

- I wonder if I should also try contact cleaner spray on the 3 switches I can access in the middle of the car underneath (I remember the top one is brown). I did check these switches and they looked good. I did initially find some sort of oil in the brown one which I cleaned up and sprayed some WD40 but I should clean it properly).

-I am pretty sure the car has defaulted into 4WD high and the centre difflock is not engaged (what's the best way to check this?) Pretty sure if centre difflock is locked, I would be able to tell by turning full lock from stopped position).

- Finally I wonder if I should buy some switches and try to swap them out (but I think some part of the mechanicals needs to be dropped to get access to the top.

The ASC and Stability lights are no longer "light up" which is good.
                  I don't know if I should fiddle around with moving the level into different modes and trying to start the engine to see if there is any change in light status (previously I was able to move level into 4LLc and start car without issue. Not sure if it is still the same).

If car is is 4WD, centre difflock is not locked, I have a bit of time to troubleshoot further....

I found the first post in this thead had a great photo of the transfer case removed (I think) but it shows the switch locations
                  Last edited by jared01; 24-01-19, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• jared01
                    • Dec 2016
                    • Sydney

Still thinking things through

- Certainly worth getting contact cleaner and cleaning the switch connectors I have access to
                    - Me testing continuity of the switches
                    - Finally me buying set of 5 aftermarket transfer case switches and calling on a favour from a mate to help swap them out

Comment

• slowcoach
                      • Apr 2014
                      • SA but travelling around Oz

Hi mate,
                      Not sure if I can help you if MM cannot but I had the centre flashing once after using Low gear.
                      I rang my local dealer and did what he said...

Find a flat, straight, quiet road.
                      Gun it straight ahead in Drive for 30metres ...stop....Reverse straight backwards the same ...stop.
                      ( keep steering wheel straight when doing this )
                      Turn car off.
                      Turned our Pajero on again and my flashing centre light was gone.

Worth a try maybe ?
                      Best of luck with it.
                      TJM snorkel, Smartbar, Firestone air bags, SPV mod, Thumper Redback Extreme agm, Donaldson fuel filter, Bridgestone LT 697 AT, McHitch tow hitch 3.5t, Redarc 2550 bc-dc.

Comment

• jared01
                        • Dec 2016
                        • Sydney

Originally posted by slowcoach View Post
                        Hi mate,
                        Not sure if I can help you if MM cannot but I had the centre flashing once after using Low gear.
                        I rang my local dealer and did what he said...

Find a flat, straight, quiet road.
                        Gun it straight ahead in Drive for 30metres ...stop....Reverse straight backwards the same ...stop.
                        ( keep steering wheel straight when doing this )
                        Turn car off.
                        Turned our Pajero on again and my flashing centre light was gone.

Worth a try maybe ?
                        Best of luck with it.
                        Thanks for the advice. I will give it a go. Nothing to lose!

Comment

• jared01
                          • Dec 2016
                          • Sydney

Was thinking, if I test the continunity of the transfer case switches, would it still prove anything if there is nothing to move the actuator into different positions.

I mean if it is stuck in a certain mode, me moving the lever won't actually move anything and therefore will not make the switches turn on/off, if that makes sense.

Comment

• geopaj
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Adelaide

It should be fairly easy to test if the transfer case actuator is working...
                            Find a low traction surface, like a dirt carpark.
                            Put it into 4HLc. Does the hearing change compared to high range? If yes, low range is engaging.
                            Then put it in 4Hc and SLOWLY drive full lock in a circle. If the gearing is back to normal and you get some driveline bind up, 4H is engaged.
                            Then put it in 2H and SLOWLY drive full lock in a circle. Gearing should remain the same and you should not get any driveline bing up.
                            NOTE- you might have to do a short normal drive between each due to the transmission bind up.

If the above tests ok, I would strongly suspect it is the 2wd/4wd switch’s on the transfer case. These can be bought much cheaper online (ie https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5PCS-Gea...EAAOSw0RpXlyq6) and can be installed by any mechanic without removing the transfer case. Most mechanics would be heaps cheaper than Mitsubishi.

Report back and I’m happy to help continue diagnosis if you want
                            Last edited by geopaj; 23-01-19, 07:49 PM.
                            Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• jared01
                              • Dec 2016
                              • Sydney

This problem is going to consume me until it is fixed.

The first 2 lines of the diagnosis from Mitsubishi have 2 error codes

C1456-Transfer position detection switch syst
                              75-Transfer switch defect

Both are referring to transfer switch issues.

Their report says "checked switch for any damage or lose of contact, All okay".

-Doesn't really prove if the switch is working or faulty.
                              -Hoping I can test the continuity of the switches in the current state and not by requiring the actuator to move.
                              -Will try electrical contact cleaner first and I think I can get to all 5 switch connections (the other 2 seem to be on the other side according to diagrams.

All research into the codes indicate switch issues.

According to the below link, error code C1456 is "When the abnormality of each transfer position detection switch is detected all the time, code No. C1456 is set."

According to the below link, error code 75 is "Diagnosis code No. 75 is set when ASTC-ECU judges that there is any abnormality with the 2WD/4WD detection switch state, 4LLC (direct low range 4WD) switch state, centre differential lock detection switch state, 2WD operation switch state, or 4H (full time 4WD) switch state which are input to ASTC-ECU".

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X