• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paj11
    • Jun 2017
    • Sydney

Pedal Torque, iDrive, etc

If you have one fitted how do you rate it? Also if you have tried different makes which has best suited you? I am thinking about getting the iDrive, I hear they are highly rated.
    2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.
  • Rnn_onmt
    • May 2017
    • Freo ish

Subscribed. This will be interesting. I only know of one bloke that says his vehicles response was very good. Much better off the line etc.
    I have not done this mod. I think that you can mod the throttle/pedal mix by a ecu remap.
    I will wait until some zorsts are added pre ecu fondle.
    Unless of course I am wrong...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• Pickle
      Administrator
      • Jun 2007
      • All over Oz

Got the IDrive and absolutely love it.
      Makes the Paj so much more responsive.
      One of the best and cheapest mods done on mine.
      Dave
      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Plez
        • Jul 2018
        • South East QLD

We sell throttle controllers at work and I honestly don't understand the draw.
        Bare in mind I haven't used one and my Pajero (which im waiting for delivery on) will be the first auto I've owned (though I've driven plenty).

From my understanding the controller just tells the ECU the throttle is depressed further than it is. I can see why this would be useful for that first 1-10% on the throttle which may as well not exist other than for highway driving, feels really sluggish when you first jump on the gas in an auto. But isn't the same thing achieved by just putting your foot down more?

Sure it feels kind of wrong to push the pedal as far as I do sometimes in an auto, but that's basically just how I decided autos behave.

Would those who've installed a throttle controller liken it to driving a manual, where you just put your foot down and it instantly responds? I'll take a look at the box on one of the controllers at work tomorrow see if I can find the brand/model of it.
        Idk, im sure it feels nicer day-to-day but I could see the edge cases being annoying.
        Think pottering along in a drive through, slowly crawling in traffic, etc etc. Maybe I'm over-estimating how much it exaggerates your inputs though.

And yeah I know they have modes, but lots of things in my life have modes and after the fun of the performance mode wears off whatever it is ends up in the "I never have to touch this again setting".

I'm curious what the particular setting in each device that offers better response + low-throttle predictability is like, is it "the best of both worlds" or "adequate at both and great at neither". I saw someone mention they turn off the sports mode for offroad and steep descents.

I'm interested though, and if the boss lets me fit a kit maybe I'll write a review and report my findings. I'm not $300 dollars interested however. Actually, I think ours may be cheaper, under $200 at least, from memory.
        2013 NW, Grey, Auto, Diesel. Resistor EGR Delete, 2inch OZtec + Kings lift, 265/65/r17 Bridgestone Duelers. Custom 2.5inch turbo back exhaust with 200cell highflow cat and 12inch straight through resonator.

Comment

• Nab
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Perth

I heard someone describe it as "removing the rubber band from your accelerator." I have an Idrive in my Ranger, it really improves the response in daily driving. When you turn it off it is like someone took 20% of your motor's power away. Works better on some cars than others too.
          SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
          NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• ilikeachallenge
            • Feb 2017
            • victoria

Hi all
            I have had an I drive fitted for about 2 years and love it.it doesn't take away the flat spot but reduces it considerably and along with controlled throttle inputs it has transformed the Challenger.The I drive is able to be set in 3 different performance modes and is then adjustable within each mode from a setting of 1 to 9 depending on the response your after.I was initially considering the chip/tune and exhaust route to better performance but was put off by the cost and potential warranty issues.I do think that a lot of people tend to forget that a diesel Challenger/Pajero etc will never behave like a petrol vehicle and these need to be driven with a bit of mechanical sympathy and understanding.Having said that,if you feel like being a hoon you can up the setting on the I drive,turn off traction control and go for your life but be ready for the back end to behave like an old Holden,ah the memory's of my often sideways youth.As I near 50 years of age I don't think I will ever grow out of the joy of hanging a good power slide or doughnuts in cars,fortunately we have farmland in the family and after a bonfire and a few refreshments it sometimes game on.When the Challenger was about 6 months old we had one of these sessions and I taught my daughter the art of controlled slides etc via the 2 way while I kept warm by the 🔥 she spent about 1 and half hours doing power slides,doughnuts and drifts in an open flat paddock and loved it.She has been driving since she was about 6 and if she ever gets into a slide on the road it will be instinctive how to control it.
            2014 Ironbark Auto PC. TJM Bullbar and 9500 lb winch with rope,Safari snorkel,ARB bashplates,factory rear locker,BFG KO2 all terrains,custom rear storage and false floor,second row Engel 40 lt fridge mount,tint,Rasslar rock sliders,100 amp dual battery with 40 amp dcdc charger,45 cent EGR resistor mod,MM tow bar,GME 40 channel uhf with RFI antenna,I drive throttle controller,hard wired 180 lt per minute compressor,kings 2.5x3mt awning,Xray spots,OztecKings combo.

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by ilikeachallenge View Post
              I taught my daughter the art of controlled slides etc via the 2 way while I kept warm by the 🔥 she spent about 1 and half hours doing power slides,doughnuts and drifts in an open flat paddock and loved it.She has been driving since she was about 6 and if she ever gets into a slide on the road it will be instinctive how to control it.
              I'm sure there are some who will read this, and think it's horrendous that you've taught your daughter how to drive like a hoon.

Being one myself (a hoon, not a daughter) I think it's one of the best lessons anybody can learn - how to control a sideways car. It's not about driving sideways everywhere you go - it's about not panicking if it ever happens unexpectedly.

Good job.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Nab
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2012
                • Perth

Originally posted by ilikeachallenge View Post
                As I near 50 years of age I don't think I will ever grow out of the joy of hanging a good power slide or doughnuts in cars

Never a truer word spoken haha
                SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• denmonkey
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Newcastle NSW

I just rolled the dice on an ebay chinese cheapy after speaking to a mate who has the kings $80 one and the $300 idrive and says there is no difference in performance.
                  I expect it will be here in about 2-3 weeks or so on the slow boat.

I'll do a vid of the install and impressions once it arrives.
                  fingers crossed.

Comment

• Plez
                    • Jul 2018
                    • South East QLD

Fitted a throttle controller today at work, letting me test it out since the Pajero loom threw codes, triton loom seems to be working fine so far however.

Install was kinda tedious just because getting under the steering wheel is sucky, luckily I wasn’t the one doing it haha.

So far I’ve only tested the sports mode and normal mode, not eco mode, eco mode just sounds like it would be awful to use.
                    Sports mode 9 (has 1-9, 1 being nearly stock, 9 being extremely touchy) was for me, undriveable, way too touchy on the throttle, didn’t even get out of the street before I turned it down.

Sports 7 was what my colleague says he uses but it still felt a little twitchy for me, I settled on sports 4. The documentation doesn’t specify the exact throttle percentages but if I find the info online I’ll update.

On sports 4 response when taking off from lights seemed much nicer but it may have been placebo, I definitely didn’t put my foot down as far as without it, and I never felt like I didn’t have enough control on the throttle.

I’m going to leave it in 4 for a while then maybe see how a higher setting feels once I get used to it.

Before this car I had always driven manual, so with that in mind, fuel efficiency has been better since fitting, only marginally, but still.
                    I attribute that to being used to an instant throttle response, the auto lag caused me to over accelerate then have to back off once the engine got going, with the quicker response i (think) I found it easier to hit that correct throttle position.

If I decide to keep the unit I will be paying for it, albeit a lot cheaper than others pay, but cost price nonetheless.

I will also get used to whatever sports mode I settle on and then go back to normal mode and compare to see if I feel a bigger difference losing the throttle controller than I did when getting it. (Think about an ssd vs a hdd in a computer, hdd are fine until you use an ssd, from then in hdd are never fine again)

Cheers
                    Last edited by Plez; 24-07-18, 09:15 PM.
                    2013 NW, Grey, Auto, Diesel. Resistor EGR Delete, 2inch OZtec + Kings lift, 265/65/r17 Bridgestone Duelers. Custom 2.5inch turbo back exhaust with 200cell highflow cat and 12inch straight through resonator.

Comment

• joker4
                      • Feb 2012
                      • modbury

so i have recently got a 2006 NP pajero manual 3.2 DI-D, a upgrade from my old NH 2.5 pajero.

so work sell the IDrive, and i have been eyeing it off for a few weeks now.
                      and finally bit the bullet and got one only cost me $220. im impressed, definitely made it more responsive, i have only had a played with it a little bit driving 2 and from work, tho work is only 10 min up the road

only had it in the A.C mode which its the adaptive mode, havent had a chance to play with the power mode or eco mod yet

tho i find its a cheaper version of getting it chipped for the moment, at least its all plug and play, easy to put in and take out if needed

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X