• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GOSSAMER
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • doncaster east vic

Originally posted by stricky View Post
    We are planning a trip up the Hay River Track in the Simpson Desert next year and I have had some conflicting advice re best bedding. My Wife and I are both over 50 so comfort is getting to be very important. One mate swears by his swag, while other now uses a stretcher and reckons they are way better than a swag. Has anyone had any experience with stretchers? I know it means also taking a tent but that is not a problem if the stretcher is better.
    Given you already have a king's 2.5m awning have you considered buying the matching tent attachment??? I don't have one but have seen someone put one up and they seem pretty easy to handle, then maybe sleep on stretchers just a thought.
    Back from the Dark side
    NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• RUGGA
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2014
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by ticky View Post
      Yeah, I like the look of the Oztent. I might have to check that out. And I thought I had made up my mind.

Steve
      Does this help you make your mind up? Lol.

Found in the review section of the link Just Cruzin posted.

02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• stricky
        • Nov 2014
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by GOSSAMER View Post
        Given you already have a king's 2.5m awning have you considered buying the matching tent attachment??? I don't have one but have seen someone put one up and they seem pretty easy to handle, then maybe sleep on stretchers just a thought.
        https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/spe...eid=9a80200419
        I think I will have a look at doing this. It would certainly help with space. It looks like stretchers are the way to go. What sort of mattress do swags have? I am probably not going to get a swag as it would need to a double and would probably only get used once. So maybe I need to look at self inflating matress on a stretcher???
        NW VRX Did Auto 265/60/18, Bullbar, ARB Frontier tank, Bushskinz bash plates, Bilstein/Dobinson lift, Uniden 8080s, Dual Battery, air compressor, Kings 2.5 m awning, Waeco CFX 50, Abber tank

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by stricky View Post
          So maybe I need to look at self inflating matress on a stretcher???
          This is the setup my father was using before he started using a swag on the stretcher.

Personally, I swear by my Thermarest mattresses. I've been using a full length 2" mattress (on the ground) for years, and I don't see that changing any time soon.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• ticky
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by RUGGA View Post
            Does this help you make your mind up? Lol.

Found in the review section of the link Just Cruzin posted.

https://youtu.be/kamgBpNg5Gs

I think I will go with the Darche...

seriously though, and only speaking for myself, I like the Darche Mattress on the stretcher. I have a bit of a back issue and I dont think the Oztent would suit my needs.

Looks the goods though

Steve
            2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• sharkcaver
              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Give serious consideration to the xped megamat. Your back will thank you many times over.
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2008
                • doncaster east vic

Saw one of these yesterday, pricey but look damn comfy
                Back from the Dark side
                NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Mussy
                  • Sep 2014
                  • Adelaide

I use the oztent Jet Bunker with an Xped self inflating mattress under my awning.

Only used it a couple of times, but find it very comfortable and warm.
                  Selling Shortly - 1994 NJ Pajero GLX 2.8TD

NW GLX Diesel: ARB Deluxe Bull Bar, ICOM-450N UHF, RAM Mounts for tablet, phone and Navman, Safari Snorkel, Rhino track mount system with HD crossbars and AT2112 Tray, X-Ray Vision DLB2010 Light Bar, Tigerz11 Awning, Bridgestone D697s. (Have but waiting to fit) X-Ray Vision 160 Series HID spots (pencil beam x 2), MSA DSL50 Drop Slide, ARB 60L Fridge.

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

I now use a cheap camp stretcher with the XPED mattress on top. Probably the best combination I have had in many years of camping. Actually look forward to sleeping on it!
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Cams
                      • Sep 2010
                      • Melbourne

Xped Megamat are brilliant, had one for a while but will be using with a stretcher now
                      2010 NT Platinum Pajero, DiD auto warm white. MM tow bar, Redarc for power.
                      Open Country AT2's
                      Jayco Startcraft 19-61.1 Family van

Comment

• aus_andyk
                        • Nov 2013
                        • Melbourne

Another vote for the XPED Mega mattress. I used it with a cheap stretcher from Adventure King and a Wild Country swag for 2 months in the Kimberley. Never had any back issues. It's not just sleeping you need to think about though. Driving for long periods can also wreak havoc with your back. I installed an MSA Lumbar Support to combat this.
                        | PC Challenger Manual MY14 | Front eLocker | Dobinson MRR | 3.15 Gears | ARB Deluxe Bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Sliders & Guards | Kaymar Rear Bar | LRA Tank | Safari Snorkel | Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 | Rhino Pioneer Platform | Foxwing Awning | Drifta Drawers | Lightforce Venom | Stedi Lightbar | Viair 480C | ARB 47L Fridge | GME TX3500 | TraxRax |

Comment

• ticky
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2015
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by GOSSAMER View Post
                          Saw one of these yesterday, pricey but look damn comfy
                          https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sal...emium-camp-bed
                          That looks really impressive. Thanks for that

Steve
                          2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• aaron.miller
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2011
                            • Epping, NSW

Just wandering for you guys with the exped megamat and swag,
                            How do you deflate the mattress and roll up the swag,
                            I have one and have been pulling the mat out, deflating it and then putting it back in the swag and rolling up the swag.

Aaron
                            2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

• aus_andyk
                              • Nov 2013
                              • Melbourne

With the inflate/deflate valve at the head, I open the deflate valve & roll the swag from foot to head, pressing my knees on the swag as I roll. Once at the head, I unroll & then roll the opposite way, as my straps bind at the foot of the swag. Hope that makes sense.
                              | PC Challenger Manual MY14 | Front eLocker | Dobinson MRR | 3.15 Gears | ARB Deluxe Bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Sliders & Guards | Kaymar Rear Bar | LRA Tank | Safari Snorkel | Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 | Rhino Pioneer Platform | Foxwing Awning | Drifta Drawers | Lightforce Venom | Stedi Lightbar | Viair 480C | ARB 47L Fridge | GME TX3500 | TraxRax |

Comment

• sharkcaver
                                "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                                • May 2009
                                • Perth

Originally posted by aaron.miller View Post
                                Just wandering for you guys with the exped megamat and swag,
                                How do you deflate the mattress and roll up the swag,
                                I have one and have been pulling the mat out, deflating it and then putting it back in the swag and rolling up the swag.

Aaron
                                I don't use my exped with a swag. The swag mattress is fine as it is.
                                MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X