•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XTV
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide Hills

Mitsubishi Motors has admitted to manipulating data in Japanese fuel efficiency tests in order to overstate the fuel efficiency of 625,000 cars. Unlike the Volkswagen scandal, the cheating wasn't spotted by officials, but rather Nissan, its partner in a minicar venture. Mitsubishi and Nissan have collaborated on kei minicars -- tiny vehicles like the Nissan Dayz and Mitsubishi eK, which are very popular in Japan -- since 2013, with the former doing the manufacturing.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

I still cant see the issue. Factory figures compared to vehicles that drive on dirt roads, tow, stop/start, creep in city traffic, flogged on highways, not in peak tune, various tyre pressures, user pedal control, altitude heights et.cetc. will vary enormously. Has anyone on here really bought a car based on fuel consumption and accepted the factory figures as gospel?
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• craka
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
        I still cant see the issue. Factory figures compared to vehicles that drive on dirt roads, tow, stop/start, creep in city traffic, flogged on highways, not in peak tune, various tyre pressures, user pedal control, altitude heights et.cetc. will vary enormously. Has anyone on here really bought a car based on fuel consumption and accepted the factory figures as gospel?
        Nope definitely not. Use it only as a rough guage. Kind of think this might of came out of the bag due to the previous manufacturer no doing the work any more.
        NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• rotare
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
          But isn't that why they provide factory stated consumption figures, because there are so many variables.... therefore by testing vehicles under supposedly controlled conditions and with standard criteria the benchmark is all the same, so a potential purchaser can fairly compare one car to another?

Not advocating that factory consumption figures are correct, just pointing out the intended logic behind providing them as they do.
          2013 NW VRX

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

The theory is great..the reality is not. Every manufacturer dress,s up their fuel figures. Notice how most tests done by magazines and testers always say..."Although we didnt achieve factory supplied figures. In fact we used considerably more". Or words to that effect. So what is the point of them, really? Smart people know that they are not reliable.
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2014
              • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by rotare View Post
              But isn't that why they provide factory stated consumption figures, because there are so many variables.... therefore by testing vehicles under supposedly controlled conditions and with standard criteria the benchmark is all the same, so a potential purchaser can fairly compare one car to another?

Not advocating that factory consumption figures are correct, just pointing out the intended logic behind providing them as they do.
              yes thats what they are for,but probably no one actually gets thse figures in real life
              2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
              BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Hill
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Jeffwatkins View Post
                Shares are down 50% on news of more damaging fuel consumption knowledge going back 25 years.

Are there any honest vehicle manufacturers left?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-2...ction=business
                I'm sure it will go back more than 25 years. I owned several Sigmas and it was rare for any of them to pass a petrol station!!!!

Hill
                200 Series
                AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• grhyso
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Perth

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
                  yes thats what they are for,but probably no one actually gets thse figures in real life
                  While my Pajero was stock I averaged 0.5-1l/100km better fuel economy than MM advertise just driving to and from work, the beach, shops and generally around town. I lived 20 minutes from perth cbd and drove 40 minutes to the airport for work.

Everyone's situation is different and the current format in my eyes does a reasonable job. Other people may not get factory figures but at least generally they can say in their situation one car will use more fuel than the other. Its certainly better than manufacturers being able to use what ever they wanted, I imagine you'd get fuel figures of a car rolling down a hill at about 70km/h no throttle, pajero's averaging 5L/100km would be the advertised figure.
                  2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• vladguan
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
                    While my Pajero was stock I averaged 0.5-1l/100km better fuel economy than MM advertise just driving to and from work, the beach, shops and generally around town. I lived 20 minutes from perth cbd and drove 40 minutes to the airport for work.

Everyone's situation is different and the current format in my eyes does a reasonable job. Other people may not get factory figures but at least generally they can say in their situation one car will use more fuel than the other. Its certainly better than manufacturers being able to use what ever they wanted, I imagine you'd get fuel figures of a car rolling down a hill at about 70km/h no throttle, pajero's averaging 5L/100km would be the advertised figure.
                    Mine is 8.5L/100kms to and from work so better than factory figures. It goes up to 10L/100 kms if I have to go through the city twice (drop off / pick up daughter from school).

Last week did 2800kms from Adelaide, to Mt Gambier, Port Fairy, Warrnambool, great ocean road, Torquay, Geelong, Melbourne (Geelong to More lone averaged 8), St Andrews Beach (while there, visited Frankston Beach, Puffing Billy and Philip Island), MMelbourne, Ballarat, Grampian, Nhill, Bordertown, Murray Bridge, home with whole family and 100kgs of stuff totalling 2.5 tonnes and averaged 8.8. Brother's VE 3.6V6 Calais V used more 98RON considering it had 6 speed auto and weighing less and was always behind me.
                    Please call me Vlad.
                    -----------------------
                    MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• ReefMaster
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Tarneit VIC

When I bought my NT Exceed new in December 2010 , I did see fuel economy around the 9.0L/ 100klm . When it was a few weeks old , I drove to Cairns from Melbourne and it averaged 10.8L per 100klm over the 6700klm travelled in the 1.5 weeks (at the pump).
                      A few years later , when the car was paid off - the mods began .
                      AT tyres increased it to 11.4 L per 100klm .

The roof rack , awning and roof lights added another 1 L per 100klm .

The lift kit , ARB deluxe bar , winch , bash plates and front 9inch LED then added another 1.5 Lt per 100klm .

Finally after the camping equipment, food, beer and fridge and 3 passengers are in the car with swags on the roof racks (covered in a tarp) - this makes the car weigh around 3000kg++.

The car was using around 14.3litres per 100klm .

Around Tom Groggin region ( High Country) trails , the Pajero used 24L per 100klm. Around Licola High Country region (minus 3 passengers and roof luggage and less booze and food) 19.5L/100klm . The highway drive cycle to Valencia Creek was 12.9L/100klm .(2650Kg)

I would hate to know what it would be like to tow a caravan .
                      Please let me know about your fuel economy .
                      2010 NT Pajero Exceed

Koni Raid 90 series Lovells HD/ Koni Raid 88 Kings KCRR-35HDSP. Front & Rear ARB diff lockers/18inch CSA Jackals on Atturo Trail Blade MT 275/65/18. Full Bushkinz/SAFARI snorkel/ARB Deluxe Bar & Runva 11XP/GME TX4500S/
                      Piranha Dual Battery system /UL80-VO AGM battery/ Gista 160W Solar Panel/36 inch 480W LED Light bar/Kings Awning and Awning tent/9inch 185W Led/ LRA tank
                      Wants: a roof tent/ exhaust/drawers

Comment

• Dave3006
                        • Oct 2015
                        • Lake Macquarie

Reef I cant comment on roof rack load on the Pajero but on my CRD JK Wrangler Unlimited as soon as I put the Rhino roof basket on I went from low 10lts / 100km to mid 11s. Load the roof rack and it was to mid twelves.

Take it off and tow my trailer weigh in in at about 1000kg loaded and economy was 11.4lts/100km on multiple trips up and down the Hunter Valley.

In short drag sucks.

My recent highway run with two blokes and a weekend of camping gear, seats folded down, so likely 400kg of gear and I returned 9.8lt/100km.

Comment

• tomwithannl
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2010
                          • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Mitsubishi Motors overstated fuel economy on eight more models

Includes Pajero.

Tom
                          1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
                          1953 Morris Minor ute
                          1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
                          2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• Whitey
                            • Feb 2009
                            • Sydney NSW

Fuel scandal - Mitsubishi ordered to stop selling Pajero

Mitsubishi Motors has been told to stop selling eight more models after it was found they overstated fuel efficiency.

The investigation by the transport ministry comes after the firm admitted in April to falsifying the fuel efficiency of two of its models, along with two cars produced for Nissan.

The admission led to a suspension of sales of the vehicles, prompting a sharp drop in the firm's market value.
                            Nissan subsequently bought a controlling stake in the company.

The latest models affected by the fuel efficiency scandal include variants of the Pajero, Outlander and RVR SUV cars.
                            http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37218510
                            I'm not the best person to post this as i have the sh*ts with MM / Dealer over my ongoing DPF problems. This is just one more level that makes my skeptical about the integrity of their engineering and willingness to cover things up rather than do things properly. But that's just me being cranky.

What are your thoughts?

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Moved to Mitsubishi News, as it's not specific to 4-1 Pajero.

Story mentions "variants" of models - would be good to learn more. I guess it will come through in good time.

Edit:have merged a few threads, will clean up in due course.
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• geopaj
                                Valued Member
                                • Jul 2007
                                • Adelaide

What do I think??? - I think it's *+% discusting that multi-national cooperations think its okay to behave like this and get a slap on the wrist.

What would the consequences be, for example, If I was caught to be actively deceiving a govt department (ie ATO or Centrelink) for financial gain??

Feels like one rule for the 'plebs' and another for big multi-nationals.
                                Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X