• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuartiross
    • Nov 2011
    • ACT

Airbag suspension

Hi there,

Done a search of the forum and there doesn't seem to be anything on airbag suspension for the PB, this may be my oversight if you know of any let me know. otherwise, here I go ...

I am looking to add an avenger winch to the list and will be the owner of a 1200kg camper at some stage for a lap of the this wide brown land. People have talked about doing on standard suspension, I am not sure that I want to risk it given the accessories already installed combined with what I am planning. Given that I won't be carrying that load all the time I thought that airbag (within the springs) with a medium rear spring would be a good alternative to constant harder springs at the rear. Currently looking at old man emu as the local 4wd place recommends them.

Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on the best way to approach this.

Cheers Stu
    Stu Ross
    PB LS 2012, silver, manual, ARB deluxe bullbar, HR Towbar, Anderson plug, Neoprene seat covers, Uniden 7740, Lightforce 170's, Bushskinz complete set, Airtek snorkel, RedArc Brake Controller, Recovery Points, X20 Smittybilt winch, OME suspension

Blog : http://rossmob.blogspot.com.au/
  • PeePee
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2012
    • Brisbane

Ultimate Suspension, I have it with airbags, excellent bit of kit.
    MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

• Cadddyman
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by PeePee View Post
      Ultimate Suspension, I have it with airbags, excellent bit of kit.

Had alot of problems with Polyair airbags after 12 months stuufing around TJM gave me a full refund.

Ultimate Suspension, have used Firestone. Very professional and helpful at Ultimate
      2010 Challenger XLS

Comment

• tilly
        • Apr 2012
        • Bundaberg

I also have poly air bags and nothing but trouble blowing them up and getting them down. Also the tube gets continually punctured.

Problem is always the drivers side ?

Comment

• stuartiross
          • Nov 2011
          • ACT

Cheers for the heads up on polyair ... will have to go to a couple of local blocks to chat about this ...
          Stu Ross
          PB LS 2012, silver, manual, ARB deluxe bullbar, HR Towbar, Anderson plug, Neoprene seat covers, Uniden 7740, Lightforce 170's, Bushskinz complete set, Airtek snorkel, RedArc Brake Controller, Recovery Points, X20 Smittybilt winch, OME suspension

Comment

• Merts
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2011
            • Bendigo Vic

The Polyair bags on my NS Paj developed leaks around where the air lines go into them, at around 4 years of age.

I have Firestones on now and they seem pretty good. They were recommended over the Polyairs by my 4WD service place and the tyre dealer I use.
            Merts
            Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
            Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• greig
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2010
              • kanwal

I have had a set of Firestones for many yrs ( they are out of the Challenger at the moment ) and although they seem better than the polyairs, mine still get the occasional leak around the fittings ( at the bag or the filler ) which can be a pain in the backside trying to sort !!

Comment

• picard
                Valued Member
                • May 2011
                • wollongong

I have had poly-air bags for 24 months and have had no problems at all.
                I have towed a camper, loaded car, Sydney to the finders through all the gorges and they were fine.
                On standard springs the bags were inflated to 25 psi; recommended max is 30 psi, poly air state a minimum of 5 psi at all times to prevent pinching of the bags.
                Also, the ball weight of the camper is approx 90 k.gs with loaded car who nows?? If you going more ball weight i would also go a heavier spring in addition to the bags as i wouldnt be running them at 30 psi. over rough bush track.
                mods, bridgestone 694 LT 265/65, ulitmate suspension 2 in with poly airbags, side awning

Comment

• drjoe
                  • Feb 2013
                  • coolum qld

hi!!!

after a LOT of reasearch i fitted tough dog, med springs in front to compensate for the bullbar/winch, soft at rear, but added rear airbags/ 4 adjustable foamcell shocks to compensate for loading on tour.

thus i get a nice unladen ride with airbags at 10 psi, shocks around 4, or jack bags to 30psi, shocks rear to 6, front to 5(out of 9 settings).

i think it is the only way to compensate for the huge load difference, on/off road change.

joe

Comment

• stuartiross
                    • Nov 2011
                    • ACT

Joe, really interesting ... a couple quick questions. Do you have idea of the ride height over the standard suspension? What height difference do you get going from 10psi to 30 psi in air bags. I was a little surprised over picard's comment about airbag over rough track. What is the ride like on/off road?
                    Stu Ross

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011
                      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by stuartiross View Post
                      I was a little surprised over picard's comment about airbag over rough track. What is the ride like on/off road?
                      Hi Guys, back from Europe and the cold weather. Glad to be home!

I presume that when you fit airbags into the rear coils you have to remove the cone bump stops, so my question is, what is now limiting suspension compression?
                      Is it the shocker or the coil bottoming out?
                      The air pressure within the airbag will increase dramatically under high dynamic compression loads (such as washouts taken at speed) or after sustained high frequency suspension movements (corrugations) which will increase airbag air temperatures.

cheers, old Jack.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• greig
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2010
                        • kanwal

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                        Hi Guys, back from Europe and the cold weather. Glad to be home!

I presume that when you fit airbags into the rear coils you have to remove the cone bump stops, so my question is, what is now limiting suspension compression?
                        Is it the shocker or the coil bottoming out?
                        The air pressure within the airbag will increase dramatically under high dynamic compression loads (such as washouts taken at speed) or after sustained high frequency suspension movements (corrugations) which will increase airbag air temperatures.

cheers, old Jack.
                        Neither the shock or the coil bottoming out Jack....the air bag ( unless it bursts ) stops full compression..

I have removed my bags at the moment, and although I'm running King springs which are a bit hard for my liking, they still get a bit of sag with the van on ( ball weight 150kg )...I would prefer some softer springs...full 50mm lift ( without sag after 6 mths like most do )....and unfortunately run bags for sag when towing...

Comment

• picard
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2011
                          • wollongong

greig thats right, the air bags do limit suspension travel when compared to the ,rubbery cone thing, and,
                          it gives the impression of a progressive bound spring ie: it firms up quicker. But i guess thats the trade off for compensation of varying loads.
                          mods, bridgestone 694 LT 265/65, ulitmate suspension 2 in with poly airbags, side awning

Comment

• Ent
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2014
                            • Tasmania

Thread bump.

I was rather surprised at the tail down that the PC Challenger took with a rather modest load. As not decided on permanent suspension changes I am toying with air bags.

Any long term reports? Very curious on the comments that they limit suspension travel and the process to remove bump stops. Also the best way to plumb them.

Basically would the money be better spent on permanent suspension modifications?

Cheers
                            2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• aaron.miller
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2011
                              • Epping, NSW

I added fire-rite air bags to my stock suspension a week before leaving for Fraser Island. During my 6 days on the island one of the airbags went down.
                              After returning to Sydney I had the airbag replaced under warranty. The brass tube the airline goes into had pushed inside the airbag. Apparently this happens occasionally. 4 months on their still holding air.
                              All the suspension companies I talked to suggested new rear springs plus air bags.
                              My car is std with nothing in the cargo area during usual city day to day driving

Aaron
                              2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X