• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

New Jeep Gladiator prepares to take on the Toyota HiLux

Somehow, I don't think Toyota are hunkered down in their war room...

Theatrics are as important as the cut and thrust of competition when gladiators stride into the arena. Brutal efficiency isn’t enough — showmanship is needed to stand out from the pack.

Fascinated by the size of the Rubicon's wheels. I wonder what size tyre they run?

Originally posted by Craig Duff
    (on the Rubicon, the wheel’s diameter is 35 inches).
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

Bloody ugly looking vehicle
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
      Valued Member
      • May 2017
      • Sydney

I like it. If vehicle appearance wasn’t subjective there’d be 5-6 models of vehicle on the road, one for each type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Suzuki Jimney on steroids...
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• NFT5
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Canberra

1 star safety rating is impressive for a brand new design....and that was after they dismissed the V8 as being unsafe.

Should be nominated for a Darwin Award.
          Chris

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
            1 star safety rating is impressive for a brand new design....and that was after they dismissed the V8 as being unsafe.

Should be nominated for a Darwin Award.

1 star should mean NOT FIT FOR ROAD USE.
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
              Valued Member
              • May 2017
              • Sydney

Bear in mind that 1 or 2 of the stars these days are gained by adding all the active safety things like blind spot monitoring, forward collision warning etc. rather than due to structural integrity.

Comment

• Peterng
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2013
                • Northern Rivers NSW

I think the Jeep has been caught up in its own advertising and start believing their own bullshite..
                The motoring media would talk up anything when a vehicle manufacturer throws enough advertising revenue in their direction...
                I'm taking their opinion with a grain of salt....
                So until Jeep get their after sales service and their reliability issues sorted out and get together a decent proper dealership network in the regional areas.
                Jeep will always be a niche 4wd brand in Australia, confined to the metropolitan population areas along the East Coast..
                Would I get Jeep?...
                Nah...It would be a toss up (pardon the pun) between being a automotive mashocist and a closet connoisseur of S&M...

Comment

• crash486
                  • Jan 2018
                  • Blackheath, NSW

I really like the thinking / design behind some of the Jeep bits, obviously not the safety.
                  Waterproof switches and media unit. Sealed covers on usb ports etc.
                  Hose out floor after removing mats as it has one way valves built into the floor.
                  Lockable glovebox, centre console, rear underseat storage.
                  Good 4x4 system, electronic swaybar disconnect.
                  Inbuilt under chasis protection, will fit 35" wheels, I think I read 900mm wading depth.
                  Lots of kit, lights, bars etc.

Think they get carried away with Jeep dna like folding windscreens, removable doors, roof etc and the brick shape.

Crash486

Comment

• KevsChallenger
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Melbourne

The dual cab looks horrible but that single cab looks mint.

Pity they wont fit a v8 its probably the one thing that could help it in the Aussie market.

Jeep's build quality is poor by its competitor standards and the sales and service in Australia is awful.

End of the day ultimately they dont care about our market because they'll sell plenty in the US
                    PC, 2"OME, Safari Snorkel, Dual Batts, TJM Bar, Ironman Winch, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2's, ARB Fridge/Slide, Cargo Barrier, Provent Catch Can, Roof Rack, Lightbar, Inverter, UHF, Lock Up Mate, ScangaugeII, IDrive

Comment

• 2bad4u
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by KevsChallenger View Post
                      Jeep's build quality is poor by its competitor standards...
                      By what standards? 17 recalls in the last 2 years. This is compared to 16 - Mitsubishi, 11 - Holden, 21 - Toyota, 18 - Ford, 13 - Mazda & 11 - Nissan. So pretty well in line with all the major manufacturers. Jeep got a bad reputation thanks to that "destroy my Jeep" bloke a few years ago, when the reality is they are no worse than any other manufacturer. In my experience, the people who bag Jeeps the most have never owned one. Sure, people have had reliability issues with their Jeep but so has every other manufacturer. DPF's on Toyota, transmissions on Ford, failing towbars on Nissans, they all have their issues.

Granted, their service reputation was poor but most owners will now admit that there has been a vast improvement in the support FCA offer both owners and their dealer network. My Jeep is a fantastic car and can go anywhere my Pajero does.
                      Warren
                      2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
                      2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• 2bad4u
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Perth, Western Australia

1,090,000 hits. What's your point?
                        Warren
                        2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
                        2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2016
                          • Greater Sydney

The point is like you I have an opinion.

I have posted a link as you have and i don't continue with it by turning it into a bum fight.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2017
                            • Sydney

Good thing we live in a free country where we can buy a Jeep if we want or else choose to not buy it. Reliability aside, it still looks good in my entirely subjective opinion. Others will not like it. Some Aussie Jeep fans will buy it and perhaps some new converts and that’s all that matters. I don’t think Jeep Australia expects it to be a high volume vehicle and you probably won’t see many out in the bush. Doesn’t mean it’s a failure.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X