Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > General Info

General Info Pros and cons of different makes and models (incl. international)

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Door latch step

Has anyone used this door latch step? I wonder if the door latch can actually be used this way. Bought one anyways for $15.28 delivered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StepCapture.jpg (18.4 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by dreamerman; 1 Week Ago at 01:18 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerman View Post
Has anyone used this door latch step? I wonder if the door latch can actually be used this way. Bought one anyways for $15.28 delivered.
The blurb under the photo talks about "2500 pounds", but doesn't talk about the direction of that force.

Simple leverage principles mean that the latch will be experience more force than simply the weight of the person standing on the step - but it's difficult to judge how much leverage / extra force will be experienced, and it's unlikely that 2500 pounds will be reached.

The 2500 pounds is most likely a "failure force" - the latch can't shear. They probably don't care if the latch bends.

What will you do if this step bends the latch (or the B pillar), and you can no longer close your door?

For $15.28 delivered, I wouldn't trust standing on anything other than a block of wood on the ground.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I agree with NJ_SWB.

While I like the idea, I wouldn't trust the strength of the latch, the material that its fixed to, in fact, the step is probably the only part that I would trust.

Pity though, it would be nice to be able to reach the roof rack with such a simple device.

Steve
2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: SMART Winch Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel