• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brw0513
    • Apr 2018
    • Brisbane

Aluminium Wheel Restoration

I really like the 16" rims on my Pajero. It's not next on the "to do" list, but I would like to restore them to close to their best.

They all have the same issue. It looks like corrosion has started under the clear coat and begun to march away.

Any suggestions for restoration? I'd like to do the work myself to save money.

Glass bead blasting followed by clear coat might be the go, but I'm sure the boss would notice these are not work related items
    Attached Files
    Ian B
    1998 NL SWB 6G74 Manual
  • gemster
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Gold Coast

Funny you ask this as I just stripped one today. All Day one wheel I managed to get a 2nd set of rims for zero, but badly marked. about as bad as yours.. Stripped old tyres off, then...
    .. I used wire wheels in a drill, lots of different sizes and shapes... Took the clear right off... hardest bit are the holes.. Lucky I got small fingers. and a bit of 360 grit sandpaper.. Im painting mine Black and just did one all day today... Now I have 4 more to go... Lol

If you want shiny wheels you can strip the clear off, then polish them, then clear coat... But it will only peel again sooner or later... That's why I painted mine....
    Just ask your boss how much to do your wheels... I was told it would cost me $50 each wheel to get bead blasted... Sooner spend the $$ on other things... I will put up a pic when the epoxy paint dries...

Gemster....
    Last edited by gemster; 28-09-18, 11:39 PM.
    YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
    And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
    ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• brw0513
      • Apr 2018
      • Brisbane

I am starting to think that using the bead blaster at work at 5am on Sunday morning is going to be the easiest way out.

These Dremel buffing wheels would work, but they are expensive suckers:

I'd like to see some photos Gemster
      Ian B
      1998 NL SWB 6G74 Manual

Comment

• brw0513
        • Apr 2018
        • Brisbane

I've ordered the silicon carbide version of these in 80, 180 and 240 grit to try:

They are on the slow boat from China so should be here in 6 weeks!
        Ian B
        1998 NL SWB 6G74 Manual

Comment

• DrewXT
          • Mar 2014
          • Melbourne

We've sent a lot of alloy wheels out for customers... We bead blast them with garnet, then send them out for acid wash and powder coat or polish and lacquer.

Most guys seem to prefer powder coat, as they can easily change the colour, and with an etch prime then two coats, they are pretty tough.

I did my own with the bead blast, followed by a rough sand, then rattle cans of etch primer and hammertone... Why? Because if I scratch them up in the bush, I can repaint the damaged area without it being noticeable

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• gemster
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2012
            • Gold Coast

Here are some pics of the painted rims.... I chose a Satin black, as gloss was too 'bright' and flat was too 'Dull'... Not real happy with a couple of areas(I used a rag to move the rim and the paint was still soft), so this one will be the spare and I will do a better job on the other 4... I tried to use my Dremel and found the wire wheels that came with it disappeared in about 2 seconds... So I used better ones in the drill... Pack of 3 from the $2 shop... and a pointed one from Supercheap for $6....

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

Gemster....
            Last edited by gemster; 29-09-18, 01:32 PM.
            YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
            And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
            ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X