Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 25-09-15

Default Best airbag suspension

Just looking for advice on the best airbag suspension for a nx Pajero for towing a hard floor camper. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 25-09-15

I had Polyair on my Jackaroo for 8 years with no problem and have just fitted them to my NT.
Old 25-09-15

Default Air Bag suspension

See the replies I obtained earlier this year to what is essentially an air bag query I raised for my NW

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44436

To enable people to better answer your query you should better define your circumstances, such as; weight and tow ball weight of your CT?, How often you tow and over what type of roads? Does your vehicle have standard or modified suspension?
My learnings were that if you have a heavy CT (>140kg tow ball weight) with standard suspension, make sure you get airbags which are capable of loading to more than 25psi.

For the record I was very happy those fitted to our NW with standard suspension on our recent trip to the Tip and back when towing our heavy (200kg ball weight) CT which were bought from the Airbag man. I used up to 40psi
Old 26-09-15

Thanks for posting the link on my thread.

The camper that I'm keen on tare weight is 500kg/ATM 1500kg's so I'm guessing the tow ball weight would be just over 100kg's. Its a daily driven car by my wife so i don't want to change the handling too much.

The car is brand new with only 5000k's on the clock with standard suspension.

I plan to take the camper out a few times a year on both dirt and bitumen roads.
Im not planning to be doing any hardcore 4wding, but might come across the odd hiccup.

The only advice i have been given is the get the protective kevlar sleeves for that extra protection.
Old 26-09-15

I bought my NP off a couple who had bought it new and then toured oz with a small pop top. All they added was red polyairs on standard suspension and all that had sagged after 270k was the fronts which had dropped a couple of inches. the back was still within about 20mm of the original height. from this, I would say that this should be fine for what you want to do.
X-Rox bar with winch on the way,
auxiliary tank, rear air bags,
2micron secondary fuel filter,
turbo timer, HID spots,
LED light bar, UHF radio.
Old 26-09-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scattered_feels View Post
Thanks for posting the link on my thread.

The camper that I'm keen on tare weight is 500kg/ATM 1500kg's so I'm guessing the tow ball weight would be just over 100kg's. Its a daily driven car by my wife so i don't want to change the handling too much.

The car is brand new with only 5000k's on the clock with standard suspension.

I plan to take the camper out a few times a year on both dirt and bitumen roads.
Im not planning to be doing any hardcore 4wding, but might come across the odd hiccup.

The only advice i have been given is the get the protective kevlar sleeves for that extra protection.
I fitted PolyAirs to my Challenger, and I run these at around 8-12psi when not towing. This makes the car a little firmer in the rear end which I like for everyday motoring. When towing my van, which is around 1400Kg laden and a ball weight of around 200Kg, I up the pressure to around 18psi. This holds the rig nice and level (raises rear under load approx 50mm) and tows beautifully.
Have done about 27,000Km since fitted, with around 10,000Km of that towing, without issue. Previously on a Patrol I fitted PolyAirs for the Cape York/Central Aus trip of 16,000Km and had no issues either.
As for the kevlar sleeves, my mechanic who fitted my Poly's advised against them as they can actually cause the bags to wear. Main thing is to always ensure you have at least 5psi in them at all times to ensure they are fully inflated.

PolyAirs or Firestone.......Ford or Holden etc etc. Much the same I think.
Rob
MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Terra Rosa, Rear Storage Drawer and Fridge System, 120Ah Dual Battery, Traxide SC80 Isolator, H/Reece Hitch. Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, LED Running Lights, 80W LED Light Bar, Factory (PB) Nudge Bar. Thule Racks, GME TX3510 CB, Poly Airs, MN Triton 17" wheels. Tinted windows, deflectors and bonnet guard. Headlight protectors.
Old 26-09-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdavo View Post

PolyAirs or Firestone.......Ford or Holden etc etc. Much the same I think.
Rob
Cheers!