• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PajeroNL
    • Jun 2016
    • Clarem

Rear Diff Backlash

I have a NL Pajero 3.5lt 1998.

The rear diff has excessive backlash, about 10mm vs spec of less than 5mm, which makes for clunky gear changes, acceleration and de-acceleration.

Does any one know what the likely issue is and the lowest cost approach to rectify.

If I keep driving as it what is likely to break? Don’t want to get stranded out bush...

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • AndyNH91
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Adelaide Hills

Not sure on the prognosis for your car...

The only time I had serious backlash was from the CVs in the prop shaft wearing out. But if it is the diff, then:

You can replace the entire diff centre without removing the axle housing. Upullit in SA are quoting $99 for the differential, of course, you have to crawl under one of their cars first.

You could also remove the entire axle from hub to hub. That's probably closer to $250 for parts.
    Andrew

MQ Triton GLX+ dual cab ute, EGR canopy, roof vent, tubliner and towbar. 6 speed manual, almost stock

Treg 1.5T Offroad Trailer with Polyblock Hitch, genuine Pajero wheels, 2x spares, Cooper 31" ATRs, four jerry can holders, tie down rails and soon to come tonneau cover

Comment

• Adzy84
      • May 2019
      • Adelaide

Does anyone have the name and model for nh diffs? I would like to change ratios if possible for highway use.
      91 nh poojero lwb gls 4d56t. 31" maxxis bighorns, black sunnies, standard suspension, poo brown interior, ugly ass Bull bar, uhf, aftermarket fooly sikk stereo, 9" kings spotties and 30" slim light bar on roof rack

Comment

• stumagoo
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Perth WA S.O.R

need to look on your bonnet underside to see what the plate has listed for you - from there it is a crap shoot as to what Mitsi fitted

But if you remove the entire housing front and rear any gen 2 will slot back in its place (coil rear end only) front may require replacement CV's to complement the new front diff as there are different sizes and if you go to a larger rear (9.5) you will need a custom tailshaft made to suit it and the transfre case you have
        1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
        *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
        1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X