• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

CB Radio Install location in 4th Gen

G'day. The lift-up lid immediately below the climate control panel in 4th gen. The one you push and then it pops up. Can you remove that entire section (my lid's broken anyway) and replace it with either a single DIN CB radio or a smaller one with a DIN adaptor like this? https://uniden.com.au/product/dmk7700/

Cheers
  • TC.Barky
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2011
    • Melbourne

Yeppers

MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• TC.Barky
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2011
      • Melbourne

There's nothing back there (no DIN cage or anything) so it's a bit of a pain to put that particular radio in as it weighs a lot, lighter units you can just screw the DIN kits to the plastic at the front and leave. Mine I had to get a bracket fabbed up and mounted to support the weight of the radio.

If you're buying a new radio I'd just get a remote head one and not bother personally. That space works very well as a switch panel or a spot for small gauges.
      MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
      Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• DaKaptin
        • Mar 2012
        • Brisbane, Qld

Check this out

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
        2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
          Valued Member
          • May 2017
          • Sydney

Awesome thanks lads.

If I got a remote head unit, do you reckon the main unit would fit under the dash or need to go somewhere like on the side of the transmission tunnel (vertically).

Then I’m assuming you’d have to screw the remote head onto the top of the dash or something, rather than on a vertical surface of the dash.

Thoughts?

Yep it will be a brand new unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
            Valued Member
            • May 2017
            • Sydney

I'm thinking I could also use one like this https://uniden.com.au/product/uh9080/

Mount the unit vertically on the driver side of the transmission tunnel and mount the hand held component further up on the dash.

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

I have an Icom unit with all the controls on the microphone. The base unit is tucked alongside the glovebox inside the passenger's end of the dash.

See here for some more details.

Five years on, still working fine.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• paceman
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2018
                • Mackay

I seem to remember someone putting a unit under the centre console in between the front seats and powering it by tapping into the existing 12v socket wiring ...

Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• Hoges1
                  • Jul 2015
                  • Gold Coast

There is thread showing mounting under the dash on top of the tunnel. I followed the instructions and mounted mine there. It's one with the controls on the hand set. I took power off the fusebox using a piggy back fuse. It's been there 4 years with no issue. I am going to buy a new Pajero next year and I am going to repeat that with a new radio.
                  2017 NX GLX. Tow bar, TJM alloy bull bar. TJM snorkel.60 L aux tank, Redarc brake controller, dual battery, 2 inch Lovells lift, Comms.

Comment

• paceman
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2018
                    • Mackay

This is what I was alluding to in my previous post:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• miniyazz
                      • Jul 2018
                      • Alice Springs

I put a Uniden 5060 behind the centre console which uses a remote head unit which I have stuck to the dash in the same position as TC.Barkly above.

I put a wire through from the boot (with occasional 'gentle encouragement' via expletives) from the aux battery in case I accidentally leave it on so I don't drain the main.

Comment

• ticky
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2015
                        • Adelaide

I have a GME with all the controls on the Mic. The mic has an RJ45 plug on it so I put a Female RJ45 on the console and the unit is tucked away. I just plug in the mic when I want to use it.

Steve
                        2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Garc
                          • May 2015
                          • Perth

As a quick fix in the bush I managed to run the antenna wire up the edge of the wing where it goes under the bonnet, then with a bit of squishing got it into the gap between the A pillar and the wing, then down the front door gap past the hinges, then round a little gap at the bottom of the door seal, then tucked up behind the glovebox and across the top of the tunnel. All secured with gaffer tape.
                          Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2017
                            • Sydney

Was gifted this by an absolute legend of a bloke with connections. Since it has a speaker in the base and the handset, I think I’ll mount it in its slide mount on either the driver or passenger side of the transmission tunnel to maximise volume. That way I can also easily unplug and remove when the vehicle is used (and abused) as mum’s taxi.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2017
                              • Sydney

Next question is where to mount the antenna he also got me.

I realise the higher the better, but failing that has anybody had any issues with a bullbar mounted antenna failing due to vibrations? I read a Prado owner on another forum saying he’d had multiple fail. The antenna is 1.2m.

Another option is a fold down roof rail or roof rack bracket. Rhino sell them.

Edit: surely there are thousands of bullbar mounted aerials that have not suffered from premature failure due to vibrations.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X