• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

Rattling inside door trim panel

I noticed a buzzing or rattling sound coming from inside the driver side door trim. Not all the time as the sound is heard at certain engine vibrations. Whether the stereo is on/off makes no difference. Is this common with a NX and if so what is usually the culprit?
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
    I noticed a buzzing or rattling sound coming from inside the driver side door trim. Not all the time as the sound is heard at certain engine vibrations. Whether the stereo is on/off makes no difference. Is this common with a NX and if so what is usually the culprit?
    I had two episodes of similar noises in my NW a few year back. In the first instance, the service guy said it was probably the window guides down into the door needed lubrication. I think they sprayed some silicon lube down the guides, in any case the noise stopped. Later I had some more noises from the middle of the driver's door. This time they replaced the door opening latch - I forget the details and I'm away from home so don't have the service record available - but this fixed the problem on that occasion.

I suppose there would be many possible sources of noise from the doors, it can be very irritating, so I hope you can sort it out.
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• tommy49
      • Dec 2018
      • Melbourne

I've got a similar rattle in mine, but on the passenger side. Happens when i'm listening to any music with some decent base or at a certain rpm.
      I've worked out its coming from from the door lock on the inside. You can press it down and the rattle stops, haven't been able to work out a permanent fix yet though

Comment

• Keithyv
        Valued Member
        • May 2018
        • Perth

I had this in my NW.
        It used to rattle in both doors and could (sometimes) be stopped by locking the doors.

When I fitted new speakers and dynamat in the doors I glued a small piece of gym flooring foam (about 15mm thick) to the door skin just so it put a little bit of pressure on the door locking rod.
        I glued it just below where the rod connects to the outside handle / lock mechanism.
        Just puts enough pressure on it stop it rattling.
        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• gerbek1
          • Jan 2017
          • Johannesburg, South Africa

Greetings from Joburg.

I have successfully removed a buzzing rattle from my SA Pajero door by removing the entire inside panel and then tightening all the little screws and bolts that hold the panel together. Doing this stopped the noise, but as mentioned above, it could be caused by one of a variety of reasons.

Pajero SWB 2014 3.2DiD

Comment

• Mundy55
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2015
            • Gold Coast

Another solution: get some mud terrain tyres - you won't be able to hear the rattle then over the road noise.

Comment

• dreamerman
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2009
              • Sydney

Originally posted by gerbek1 View Post
              Greetings from Joburg.

I have successfully removed a buzzing rattle from my SA Pajero door by removing the entire inside panel and then tightening all the little screws and bolts that hold the panel together. Doing this stopped the noise, but as mentioned above, it could be caused by one of a variety of reasons.

Pajero SWB 2014 3.2DiD
              Did you remove the plastic covering inside the trim?
              03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• Garc
                • May 2015
                • Perth

I had a noise from the drivers door panel. When I took off the centre cover piece on the handle I found it was so loose it was about to fall out. Tightened it and all fixed. Easiest fix ever.
                Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• gerbek1
                  • Jan 2017
                  • Johannesburg, South Africa

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
                  Did you remove the plastic covering inside the trim?

Hi there. No, It was not necessary.

Comment

• Footer51
                    • Nov 2018
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
                    I had this in my NW.
                    It used to rattle in both doors and could (sometimes) be stopped by locking the doors.

When I fitted new speakers and dynamat in the doors I glued a small piece of gym flooring foam (about 15mm thick) to the door skin just so it put a little bit of pressure on the door locking rod.
                    I glued it just below where the rod connects to the outside handle / lock mechanism.
                    I had this on my NX and the above was the case except it wasn't the locking rod that went from the inner door handle to the latch, it was the rod that went from the external lock to the latch. I glued some cut up pieces of neoprene to the inner door skin which left a little but of pressure on this rod and vibration gone.

Comment

• JT8D
                      • Sep 2016
                      • Brisbane

I had this in my NW.

Hi Keithyv,
                      Sounds like the best solution for the issue that I have too but happens only on engine start.
                      Would you mind elaborating on how difficult (or not) it was to apply the dynamat to the inside of yr doors and if it helped to reduce noise? TIA

Comment

• dreamerman
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • Sydney

The rattling is getting constant now, previously only on occasion. I have even recorded it on my phone (while idling and parked, of course). My odometer is about 5000km so I thought of waiting until 15000km and and ask dealer service to fix it. Hope I can tolerate the rattle until then.

Comment

• Keithyv
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2018
                          • Perth

Originally posted by JT8D View Post
                          Hi Keithyv,
                          Sounds like the best solution for the issue that I have too but happens only on engine start.
                          Would you mind elaborating on how difficult (or not) it was to apply the dynamat to the inside of yr doors and if it helped to reduce noise? TIA
                          It's not a difficult job.
                          Just remove the door trim (card), peel back some of the plastic and start applying.
                          I covered as many of the large flat areas that I could of the door skin plus applied quite a bit to the back of the door card and covered some of the holes on the inner door skin.

While I was in there I glued the piece of foam to the door skin, just applying a bit of pressure to the rod to stop the door mechanism from rattling (mine did at idle too but often other times as well)
                          Plenty of video on YouTube re. Dynamat (or its equivalent)

I bought a large box of PingJing off eBay, was enough to do all 4 doors with heaps left over.
                          (I'll use the rest to do the back hatch area, funny how noisy it is from back there when it rains / roads are wet)
                          2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                          MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• dreamerman
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • Sydney

It's not a difficult job.
                            Hi, what did you use to clean the surface before slapping-on the mat?

Comment

• dreamerman
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • Sydney

Bumped into a mate and started shooting the breeze about cars. Inside his driver door trim also rattles and he fixed it using cut-outs from a $5 noodle (the swimming floating kind)!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X