• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

Dark tint

Has anyone been pulled over for having a dark tint that fall short of 35% VLT? I used to have 15% on my dual cab (used for private purposes) and never had an issue despite being pulled over several times for RBT. Maybe that is because cops think my dual cab is for business. But 15% on a Pajero?
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

Did my tinting yesterday - 15%
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• womble
      • Apr 2012
      • Adelaide

I always have 15% and have never had a problem with the police even looking twice. Only would think they would be looking at defecting because of tint if you were doing the wrong thing and they were looking for anything they could to get you for something
      2016 NX GLX Pajero, ARB Bar, Safari Snorkel, Lightforce DL230HTX, D697's, EGR Plug and Play and The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift

Comment

• dreamerman
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2009
        • Sydney

The tint guy told me that he did a CRV the day before he did mine and the driver wanted 5%. So 15% does not sound too bad now.

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

In 2013, we bought a new Pajero and a new Outlander. Neither of them had any decent form of window tinting, so we looked around for someone to do the job for us. We got the Outlander done in Tamworth because it was summer, it was damned hot without tinting and we were already there. We asked for the darkest possible tint for the rear doors etc, and the darkest allowable tint for the front doors. I cannot remember the light transmission values, but 5% and 15% sound about right. The tinting made a big difference to the Outie so when we were next visiting Tamworth with the Pajero we took it back to get that one done as well, but we chose to have only 15% tint because the 5% was too dark. Even 15% (or whatever the darkest allowable tint is) is too dark for me to feel comfortable driving in city environments. Fortunately I rarely go near a major city so this is not such an issue, but if I lived in the city, I would strip the tint from the front windows and go back to original glass. I believe that dark tinting is a serious safety issue.

Comment

• Aspey
            • Dec 2015
            • Great Southern Land

Originally posted by erad View Post
            I believe that dark tinting is a serious safety issue.
            Not as serious as all the drivers out there that don't pay attention while driving.
            Unless someone had ultra dark front windows then I doubt the police would specifically target tinted cars.
            NP VRX DID

Comment

• CptStinky
              • Mar 2019
              • Upper Coomera

very dark is a headache. Cant remember the numbers but I had very dark on a ute a couple of cars ago and it was a pain. First thing in the mornings with dew on the car, I couldn't see out properly and had to wind down the windows to check for bikes and pedestrians.
              Then in winter coming home after dark- same thing. Always worried I'd missed something.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by CptStinky View Post
                very dark is a headache. Cant remember the numbers but I had very dark on a ute a couple of cars ago and it was a pain. First thing in the mornings with dew on the car, I couldn't see out properly and had to wind down the windows to check for bikes and pedestrians.
                Then in winter coming home after dark- same thing. Always worried I'd missed something.
                I agree. When I first bought my NT it was horrible to reverse at night - until the night I had my window down, and it was a revelation! 15% tint looks cool in bright sunshine, but it heavily restricts vision in low light conditions - night, or driving in the rain when idiots don't put their headlights on, or insist on only using their parking lights.

To get it registered in SA I had to strip the tinting, and there was no way I was going to put 15% back. I've got 70% on the front, 35% elsewhere. Definitely doesn't look as cool, but I can see.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• dreamerman
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • Sydney

Have driven with 15% tint for 6 years with no dramas. I think 5% is too dark. Maybe some 15% is darker than others? Mine's Solartint - understood to be a very average generic brand.

Comment

• Merts
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2011
                    • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
                    Have driven with 15% tint for 6 years with no dramas. I think 5% is too dark. Maybe some 15% is darker than others?
                    15% is 15% regardless of brand. It's the measure of how much visible light can pass through the tint, so unless some manufacturers are fiddling the figures (which is highly unlikely as they'd be found out the first time someone used a light meter during a RW inspection) they are the same.

Btw, I have darkest legal tint on all windows on an XTrail and you have to wind the windows down at night so you can see enough in the rear view mirrors to back out of a driveway. I'm pretty happy with the factory tint on my Triton, as I was with my VRX Pajero.
                    Merts
                    Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                    Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X