• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve879
    • Jan 2014
    • Canberra

NW Pajero Lower Front Control Arm Failure

Hello all. Got a phone call from the wife this Arvo, the Pajero went crunch while reversing and now front left wheel is not straight. Drove out to find that the rear mount of the front lower control arm had failed and seperated.
    Got the car back home and have now removed to find this. I'm a little concerned, it looks like the welds have failed due to rust under the weld, this then has left a small amount of metal holding and this has what has finally given way today. We have had a strange noise form under that side of the car for a while. Even got some advise from here advise seemed all was ok and lots make noise.... Check out the photos and let me know what you all think, car has had no accidents in the 100k we have out on it, very little off-road. 150000k on it now.
    Attached Files
    2012 Pajero Activ.. ARB Bar, LED Driving ights, TJM Coils and Shocks, TJM Snorkel. Dominator winch. BFG KM2 265/70/17 Stedi Led fog lights and DRL's. Icom UHF.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

There is a problem that MMAL should be made aware of and they should cover the cost of the repairs even though car is outside warranty.
    Also it should be reported.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Steve879
      • Jan 2014
      • Canberra

A few more pictures
      Attached Files
      2012 Pajero Activ.. ARB Bar, LED Driving ights, TJM Coils and Shocks, TJM Snorkel. Dominator winch. BFG KM2 265/70/17 Stedi Led fog lights and DRL's. Icom UHF.

Comment

• Seigried
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2016
        • brisbane

Completly agree with OJ.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

I was idly grazing on Fleabay yesterday, and came across a listing for new upper control wishbones for Pajero NW. $120.80 a pair incl postage, brand new. I assume that they also include the bushes. It may be worth asking if the supplier also has lower control arms. I thought that was cheap. I also agree about contacting Mitsubishi. I have never heard of such a failure, but anything is possible.

Comment

• Steve879
            • Jan 2014
            • Canberra

Hello all, sorry have been crazy busy and haven't had a chance to update on my little issue. I had the car repaired within a few days with a part from the wreakers, wheel alignment and off it went.
            With the help of Old Jack I was able to talk with someone within Mitsubishi. They took this very seriously, without even a question about it all my costs were covered, including getting the failed part to Adelaide to be examined and tested as to why it failed. When the technical guy says in 20 odd years of work at MMAL he hadn't seen that failure you can see why they wanted it back.
            I couldn't be more impressed with how MMAL handled this, my car is out of warranty. Yet have been well and truly looked after.
            I will be updated once an analysis of the failure has taken place, I'll update again if I hear anything more.
            For those with a July, 2012 built NW Pajero. Might be worth a quick check, hopefully this is a one off and not a problem with a batch of parts. People have asked me if I'm concerned about the other side and I'm not. These would have been built on different jigs etc and maybe at different times.

Steve

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Sounds like a good outcome and good to MM are taking it seriously. Had the potential to finish in a tragic accident.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Seigried
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2016
                • brisbane

Good to hear. Hopefully its a one off.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jorgo RX Pajero
                  • Feb 2017
                  • Perth WA

Wow - that's bloody concerning - that could have been significantly worse at speed. Glad to see a good out come considering. Has anyone come across non OEM upgraded Control Arms for the Pajero ?

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Sydney

Whilst it’s good to hear that MMAL has attended to the defect the cynic in me says it’s not because they offer genuine old fashioned service rather they’re only thinking of their own skins because a failure of that part could bear catastrophic consequences with the blame laid squarely at their own feet. Plus the defective part, aka evidence, can for all intent and purpose now be deemed not to exist since no party other then MMAL has it (or doesn’t if you get my drift).
                    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011
                      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
                      Whilst it’s good to hear that MMAL has attended to the defect the cynic in me says it’s not because they offer genuine old fashioned service rather they’re only thinking of their own skins because a failure of that part could bear catastrophic consequences with the blame laid squarely at their own feet. Plus the defective part, aka evidence, can for all intent and purpose now be deemed not to exist since no party other then MMAL has it (or doesn’t if you get my drift).

I hope this is not the case.
                      I contacted MMAL via the Technical Engineering department and not through Customer Service or Sales. Once I talked to them they took the failure seriously and contacted Steve directly. Sometimes you have to trust people to do the right thing.

OJ.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• aussieintas
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • Sorell, Tasmania

Steve 879 have a look at this thread.

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Steve879
                          • Jan 2014
                          • Canberra

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                          Steve 879 have a look at this thread.

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...d=1#post614950

Very interesting!

Comment

• Bezza
                            • Oct 2017
                            • Newcastle

My NT clunks

I too have a clunk in the front left of my Feb 2011 NT, probably happens most in reverse too, but it’s a bit too random to know for sure, have struggled to make it clunk on demand. Will be having a look. Do you think you would see it looking dodgy before it failed?

Comment

• spot01
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Bezza View Post
                              I too have a clunk in the front left of my Feb 2011 NT, probably happens most in reverse too, but it’s a bit too random to know for sure, have struggled to make it clunk on demand. Will be having a look. Do you think you would see it looking dodgy before it failed?
                              If the clunk happens when you stop, then reverse after releasing the footbrake, it is probably just the brake pads releasing from the disc - several of my Pajeros have done this - annoying, but normal.
                              I think you would see signs before it failed - I looked at mine today & all good - easy to see.
                              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X